Dead Sanyo 4911M?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
Well, about a month ago, I bought a Sanyo 4911M off of craigslist for $75 and thought I had a great deal for my kegerator. I waited until last week to plug it in since my tower came then and I was going to put it all together over Christmas.

After like 4-5 days of being plugged in, it hasn't gotten cold. I've tried both max and min temperatures to see if it changed at all. My cup of water stayed at a steady 60 degrees.

So... I can here the fridge running, and there is heat from the condenser, just not cold inside. Any ideas? Is this fridge just dead and I need to buy a new one?

Thanks.

Austin

Bummer.

Was it running cold when you picked it up? At $199 retail for a 4912, it's probably not economical to repair.

The guy had bought it from a friend of his in refrigeration and had planned to use it in a wet bar in his house but never had ime to build it... and therefore he knew that "it runs when I plug it in and the light comes on."

I guess I might have been a bit too excited to get the thing to ask more. Oh well, lesson learned I suppose.

Yeah, that happens.

I've looked at things from Craigslist.com and have come across a couple that would not cool, but would not have discovered it unless I did not ask that they plug it in and have it running before I arrive so I could see if it cools.

This way, you see if it works plus you can hear if there are any problems too.

Best Buy will have it on sale for $150 or $175 again soon.

Is the cond. fan running? I came across a kegerator that had a stuck cond. fan. So I shot some WD40 at it and gave it a flick. Sure as sh*t it started to cool again!
On an off note my sister just moved to Seattle yesterday, hope she likes it there they have to stay for 5 years(hubbies in the Air Force)

67coupe390 said:
Is the cond. fan running? I came across a kegerator that had a stuck cond. fan. So I shot some WD40 at it and gave it a flick. Sure as sh*t it started to cool again!

Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out tonight.

I hope your sister enjoys Seattle...although it is the wrong time of year to be moving here, it's really really crappy outside right now. She'll love it in the summer though!

Austin

Hey not all is lost though. I have heard of peeps turning them into smokers, just a thought if you have the room and are into smoking stuff and don't mind the country ghetto look of a fridge turned smoker in your yard. On second thought....

:fro:

It makes a great hiding place for small pets. :ban:

In all seriousness that does suck. I recently bought a secondhand fridge and was really worried it wouldn't work, so I can imagine how you feel. You can use them to incubate dry sausage though...seriously. Put a lightbulb and a small pan of water...perfect conditions. If that is your thing...you could be turning out some cured sausage to have with your homebrews. I do.

Yes, the fan should run all the time as soon as its plugged in.
I'll be coming to visit her sometime in summer. She said she could get us I think on base hotel price of $36.00 a night. Cheap!!!

Ha-Ha zoebisch01 you said a hiding place for small pets!!! But the smoker idea sounds good tell us more.

Back