Best MP3 Player? What do you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do YOU recommend?

• IPOD is easy to use and the best.

• Anything but IPOD.

• I have a specific non-IPOD I recommend

• I own a small alien that handles all my music needs.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I am looking in the $40-$50, probably used 4GB or higher. Music download and storage is my only interest at this point.

I was fairly set against IPOD, and I am about to buy a Sandisk Connect which accepts wifi and USB, although the wifi seems to be limited as far as downloads from what I can tell.

I do have a mac laptop that is awesome, and a desktop PC that sucks.

Not wanting a Mac/PC debate, the mac is new and updated, the PC is old and outdated.

I have a non-Ipod that I use and its the best ever but its a secret and I'll never tell anyone about it....

Okay, its a 4 gig Sandisk Sansa w/ FM radio. The thing is practically bullet proof....:D

Free IPOD? I wouldn't turn it down either.

I am actually looking at the sansa 4gb you have Baja, just about had it, and then I saw the connect for the same price.

The connect connects to wifi, but evidently requires a subscription to jukebox or yahoo or some such crap.

If you don't sacrifice other features, the streaming radio would be nice and it is still 4gb

Yeah, I had an older generation iPod back in the day... I had 4 of them fail on me in two years, not my fault, just hard drive failures (stopped replacing them when extended warranty ran out) Now that everything is using solid state memory that is not as much of an issue it would seem.

I was fed up with the whole thing, so I figured I would go with a company that sells alot of memory based products, therefore Sandisk.

I bought an iTouch and love it.
That being said. I don't really use it as an MP3 player. I use it for internet, facebook, and fun apps.

If all I wanted was an MP3 player, I would never go iPod. I'd get some physically small sandisk that plugs directly into a USB port and is loaded via drag and drop. Then just pick the size I wanted.

I have the Sansa Connect that I use at the gym. The scroll wheel control is nice. The wifi service has been discontinued, so you can't download music, and I received mine with wifi disabled in firmware. You can download a program to re-enable it, which allows you to listen to streaming radio through (I think) yahoo. I did this, wasn't impressed, and put the current (non-wifi) firmware back on.

It took me a while to realize that there are two poweroff modes. There's a standby that occurs when you push the power button, but the battery still drains a bit. To fully turn it off, you have to hold the power button for 8 seconds.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Connect.

I have the Sansa Connect that I use at the gym. The scroll wheel control is nice. The wifi service has been discontinued, so you can't download music, and I received mine with wifi disabled in firmware. You can download a program to re-enable it, which allows you to listen to streaming radio through (I think) yahoo. I did this, wasn't impressed, and put the current (non-wifi) firmware back on.

It took me a while to realize that there are two poweroff modes. There's a standby that occurs when you push the power button, but the battery still drains a bit. To fully turn it off, you have to hold the power button for 8 seconds.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Connect.

You can only stream radio through yahoo with the wifi enabled Connect???

My Droid (a camera phone and a great MP3 player all in one)... 16GB of MP3s or streaming music with Pandora.

+1 on Sansa players. We have three in our family. I don't have one, but that's just because my phone works as an mp3 player. If I didn't have that, I'd get myself a Sansa too.

I have an ipod nano for music, and a sandisk for audio books ect. for no other reason than I have one of each, so I may as well use them, I like the battery life on the sandisk a bit better though.

I am not a fan of the iPod because of its chastity belt. That is why I don't have an iphony either. Anyways, I had a creative mp3 player but now I use my droid, awesome music player in tunewiki and of course pandora. I sized my library down to fit better since I am just using headphones or the speaker and I get many, many thousands of songs in the 16GBs

the poll is not refflecting the posts.

In the poll IPOD rules.

And am I really the only one with a little green man?

I'd be set but his battery life sucks.

You can only stream radio through yahoo with the wifi enabled Connect???

Either Yahoo, or MSN or something, but yes, only one source. Don't buy the Connect based on it having wifi. Like I said, I re-disabled mine. It wasn't all that great, and really sucked down the batteries.

It is still a decent player with an nice control interface, and has a microSD slot. I think that I paid ~$30 for it a couple months ago.

I've been happy with all of my Sansas. They've all been affordable, and have withstood quite a bit of abuse.

iPod. iPod. A 'real' one (not the Shuffle). If it was me I would eBay a 30GB iPod 'Classic'. Should be fairly inexpensive...

I have a 60GB iPod classic with screen I need to sell. It's just collecting dust in it's case now that I have the touch. Was great for watching movies on the plane while I was still traveling.

I like Itunes. So, Ipod.

I love the way Itunes automatically downloads podcasts (all beer related!) automatically when new ones are available, then puts them on my ipod.

I run with my ipod and am thrilled when I get out and find there is a new podcast from James Spencer or Jamil.

Supposedly Itunes is now able to do that with other MP# players Pawn. I will see!

I have Itunes on the laptop and it is OK. Podcasts are free?

I went with the NEW (as in: in the box) Sansa Connect with wall charger for 39.99 no shipping.

Used Ipods (30gb) were $75 or so and almost all had comments like "the wheel doesn't always respond, so it is impossible to change the volume at times....."

Ipods seem to need more maintenance. We'll see!

Thanks all.

ipod is the best for me. Except, I'm on my 4th one. To think I've spent over 1,000 on ipods in my lifetime. Yikes. Actually on my 5th if you count my iphone which isn't large enough to replace my ipod.

Cowon iaudio D2. We have three of them in the family. Very good sound quality for a portable player, has an SD slot, and is pretty rugged. It plays FLAC, but for me that is overkill with the portable given the noisy environments I am in when I use it. I covered the screens with the "Invisible Shield" product to protect them.

The ipod nanos that my kids had earlier died early. One was within the warranty period, but Apple made up a lame excuse and refused to honor the warranty.

Cowon iaudio D2.

That's my main music player too. Sound quality is excellent paired with a higher end set of phones. I never leave home without it.....

....except at the gym or going on a run, where I use a Sansa Clip, which is also an excellent device.

........you just gave me icewater in my veins huge member.......

Your kids are spoiled!!!;)

I have 3 who are not quite MP3 age yet, but it is coming....

I like Itunes. So, Ipod.

I love the way Itunes automatically downloads podcasts (all beer related!) automatically when new ones are available, then puts them on my ipod.

I run with my ipod and am thrilled when I get out and find there is a new podcast from James Spencer or Jamil.

I'm not sure if you know this but almost every music player/syncing program out there can also automatically download podcasts.

The Connect is really nice, but only supports TMP mode as far as the usb...

With my Mac, I am evidently going to have to download some software to get something TMP compatable.

I have the PC, but the mac is so much newer and portable, I really want to download music to it.

Wife was gifted a Ipod Shuffle a couple to few years ago. 8GB IIRC.

I fear the battery will die before much longer but I really like it's simplicity. Rarely, I think a screen would be niceto locate that one song in the hundreds that you want to hear but, meh.

I use hers more for a brewday jukebox than anything else. I am archaic in that I still prefer the fidelity of an actual CD to a MP3 conversion.

Back