Belgian Strong Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
Looking at JZ's Classic Styles for this idea:

for 70% efficiency

11lbs belgian pils
2lbs cane sugar **
1lb wheat malt
1oz First Gold 8% 60 mins
1oz Fuggle 4% 30mins

Wyeast 1388 will make a starter out of some DME a few days before.

This will get me about 7% abv which I am fine with. IBU's are 29. Will mash at 150*f for 60mins. Is this long enough? Will collect enough for a 90 minute boil.

I picked the hops so I wouldn't have to buy 3-4oz of Styrian goldings. Bouncing around some hop substitution charts and using the six degrees separation method these seem OK.

**I plan on adding the sugar in two parts after fermentation has mellowed out because I am scared that I will get a stuck fermentation with all of the sugars in the beer at first. (First "big" beer.) Do I just dump the sugar in the fermentor or should I boil it with some water first so it's more syrupy like?

As far as managing the temp. of the fermentation I was going to start at 64*F. Do I just keep it there or is this one that I should ramp up to the low 70's?

Thanks in advance.

Just add the sugar to the boil, like around 15 min. The yeast will be able to handle it with no problem, especially if you make a good starter. I don't think I'd use fuggles for a Belgian - Fuggles are a very British hop. Some good styrian goldings replacements are Yakima Goldings, Saaz, Sterling, Strisselspalt, or even Northern Brewer would work well with a Belgian strong.

Back