Small Batch Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mato23

Reaction score
So I've seen a couple threads about people talking about the smallest batches that they've brewed but haven't heard much about how the stuff actually turns out. Im intrigued about this small brewing cause it would allow for more experimenting at lower cost. So for people that have tried small batches(~1 gallon),
  • Do they end up any different than the same brew in a full batch?
  • How does fermentation times differ?
  • AG vs Partial vs Extract in small batches...
Any other comments or experiences would help.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here?

How does it end up different? it's exactly the same as a 5 gallon batch of beer, only a smaller amount. It's just an exponentially smaller amount of ingredients. If you are making a 1 gallon batch, then it's 1/5 of the amount of ingredients. If it is a 2.5 gallon batch, then it is half the amount of ingredients.

THough if you are using dry yeast just pitch the whole packet, and with liquid, for most grav beer, you really don't need to make a starter.

and if you like the recipe, you scale it up. Noting too complicated.

Fermentation times- I leave all my beers in primary for a month regardless if it's a full size batch or a mini batch.

Ag vs Pm vs Extract....it's not a verses, they all make beer, not matter what size you are looking for. Again it is simply exponentially less ingredients. ALthough one could argue it is easier to do small batches in All Grain. Though if you use DME instead LME for your base extract, then really there is no difference. Since you are just weighing out an amount of dry ingredients. It would be a wee bit more difficult, I think measuring out smaller amounts of liquid, and then storing the rest.

A digital scale is necessary, and I have found that for measuring out hops, having it being able to measure in grams makes things easier.

Anything else you want to know, you can find by looking at all the small batch brewing threads on here, there's a ton, and I have posted a lot of info in there.

I started doing 2.5 gallon batches after receiving some of the 3 gallon better bottles. I like doing it because I am able to do a full boil which I wasn't able to do with my set up at 5 gallons.

I will second the scale as being important. I am waiting for mine to arrive this week. Found one at Target with a gift card I got over the holidays. It will let me do more things and be more precise (and repeatable!)

I recently started doing small batches myself. My buddy and me brew 5 gallon batches, but he doesn't like IPAs or Stouts/Porters. So i started brewing smaller batches for myself. I tend to use a whole White Labs vial in my small batches, yea its not cost effective but im too lazy to make a starter, plus it gives me confidence that im not underpitching. I do notice that with that much yeast my fermentation is done in about a week or a lil longer. Small batch is an excellent way to experiment; your not buying as much ingredient and you wont be too pissed if your ruin a whole 5 gallons of beer with a not so good recipe. My first experimental small batch was a bitter, and i must say it wasnt so good lol.

How does it end up different? it's exactly the same as a 5 gallon batch of beer, only a smaller amount.

While I agree with everything scaling, I have to say that it won't be exactly the same if you are usually doing a partial boil 5 gallon batch vs a full boil 'small batch'. I've done a couple of small batch full boil beers and the results are nearly always better than the partial boil 5 gallon batch...

If you are already doing a full boil 5 gallon batch, it will be exactly the same.

My first and third brews were 1 gallon, so all grain. I just drank a couple of bottles, and they were too sweet. I'm guessing the mash temp was too high, and since I ruined a couple of remote probes during that batch, the readings were off. I now have a different thermometer!

So, the small batches were different, but likely due to my errors. I don't think fermentation time is any different.

i'm keen to try a few small batches. is there a collection of recipes for 1 gallon batches somewhere? i know i can scale down a bigger recipe but i'd like some tried and tested ones

i'm keen to try a few small batches. is there a collection of recipes for 1 gallon batches somewhere? i know i can scale down a bigger recipe but i'd like some tried and tested ones

Any recipe scaled down from an established recipe IS a tried and true recipe.....the recipe doesn't change because the volume is different.

Guys this is a 2 year old necro thread...you know there's a TON of much better and more active small batch threads on here that are much more recent. Some great discussions in the last couple months.

LOVE me some 1 gallon brews. I've had the go ahead to go to 5-gallon and freedom to use the credit card for almost 2 months now. Still haven't pulled the trigger as I really do love it. Simple...easy...I get a 6 pack of 16oz. And I often due double batch brews

I'm new to the forum as a poster (not as a reader) and I'm looking to get some opinions and ideas. I'm thinking of starting a small blog specifically talking about small batch brewing. I want to post 1 gallon recipes, how-to videos and user-submitted content such as recipes, photos and more.

Is there anything specific you would like to learn or see on a small batch home brewing website?

Back