Whats the Best Commercial Beer you have ever had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance71975

Reaction score
Ok so we have seen the "worst commercial beer" thread, so what is in your opinion the BEST on the market? Be it big beer company,or craft brewery.

My opinion, the best beer i have ever had was Black Butte Porter from Dechutes Brewery in Bend Ore. Personally i love ALL the beers they make!

I am a hop head.... So I will go with Pliney the Elder.

I'm biased because I just recently had Pliny the Elder for the first (and second and third and fourth) time, so its very fresh in my mind, but I cannot think of a beer that I would say is better. Maybe La Fin du Monde. But probably not.

That is a little like asking who the most beautiful woman in the world is......

Lots of them will be the choice depending on the mood, the season or how they are hanging.....

Too many to pick from.

Agreed it's tough to pick one, but I always look forward to the release of The Abyss every year, and Black Butte XX isn't far behind.

I enjoy hefe's from time to time, but never placed them at the top of my list. I usually prefer dark and roasty or over the top hoppy ales. But, the first time I tried a fresh bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier I nearly came in my pants. The banana-clove flavor was simply astounding and I may have uttered a few four letter words to help me exclaim the complete and utter joy I was experiencing. :mug:

I'm not really sure what would be *the* best. Drie Fonteinen is my favorite gueze, West Coast IPA my favorite IPA/IIPA, Weihenstephaner my favorite weizen, Edmund Fitzgerald my favorite porter...

I guess if I had a gun to my head, I would say the best I've had is Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Co., judged by how well it is made. I don't know if I would say it's my favorite, though.

My favorite commercial beer is the next one I pick up from the packie.....I cant believe I was the first one to post it!!!! Sweet

I'm not really sure what would be *the* best. Drie Fonteinen is my favorite gueze, West Coast IPA my favorite IPA/IIPA, Weihenstephaner my favorite weizen, Edmund Fitzgerald my favorite porter...

I guess if I had a gun to my head, I would say the best I've had is Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Co., judged by how well it is made. I don't know if I would say it's my favorite, though.

Edmund Fitzgerald Is pretty awesome too, that's just how we Ohio Folks roll! :rockin:
I just wish we could get Dechutes Beers in Ohio...

SethMasterFlex said:
I enjoy hefe's from time to time, but never placed them at the top of my list. I usually prefer dark and roasty or over the top hoppy ales. But, the first time I tried a fresh bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier I nearly came in my pants. The banana-clove flavor was simply astounding and I may have uttered a few four letter words to help me exclaim the complete and utter joy I was experiencing. :mug:

Never had. Putting on list.

I have no clue what my favorite is tbh. The one I am currently drinking I guess. Variety is the spice of life for me.

Rogue Chatoe Oregasmic,Ranger ipa are in my top 10 currently.I would have to go with 10 favorites because there are too many good ones.Bells expedition stout is a new fav for me.

I'd have to say Moyland's Kilt Lifter. It's labeled as a "Scottish Ale" (I'd say technically it's a Wee Heavy at 7.4%) and even though it was my first craft beer love, I still find is fantastic.

I used to drive over Donner Pass into Grass Valley, CA, just to pick up a couple bombers of the molassesy goodness.

It's hard to say what my favorite is, it depends on my mood but I think I could drink Lagunitas IPAs for a LONG time berfore I got tired of them.

Someone mentioned weihenstephan weissbier, I love their helles (or as it says on their bottle, "original") which is also unbelievable. A beer so quaffable with so much character, they're magicians down there I tell ya.

being summer, Shinner came out with a seasonal "Ruby Red". A light flavored grape fruit and ginger thats a first class thirst quincher.

SethMasterFlex said:
Anything Trappist: Westmalle, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort...it's all so damn good.

Indeed. Rochefort 10 blows my mind though. I'm also really liking Ommegang Three Philosophers lately.

+1 to weihenstephaner. Southern Tier Oat, Guinness FES, La Fin du Monde and a guilty pleasure, Ellicottville Brewing Company's (EBC) Chocolate Cherry Bomb.

I like wittekerke from the tap. If you get it from a bottle it doesn't seem to have the flavor complexity that it has on draft.

I usually get it at this amazing place called the Sharp edge (here in Pittsburgh).They have 50+ Imports on tap and they specializes in Belgian beers.
This place has Lindemans Framboise on tap!

http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/BeerEmporium_taps.htm

My all-time favorites are Stone Belgo Barleywine and Hoegaarden Verboden Vrucht. I've only had each one once due to availability but they definitely left an impression. Everything else is kind of "flavor of the day".

Lonerider Brewery's Sweet Josie brown ale and Big Boss's Bad Penny brown ale are both incredibly fine beers.

best beer I've had to date is probably Hopslam. first bottle I tried was eh. I thought it was all aroma but then I had another one and holy wow it was delicious.

Kasteel Rouge. Hands down best beer I've ever had.

kasteelrouge.jpg

Chimay Blue, Rochfort 10, Deschuettes The Abyss, Russian River Pliney the Elder, Stone Subliminaly Self-Righteous Ale, Timothy Taylor Landlord.

Rochefort 10 is probably my fav.
Hennepin is up there too, and Pliny.
All Powerhouse beers are great and top my favorite everyday beers list.

Abyss is prob one of the most complex beers i've tasted

as far as hoppy beers Pliny the Younger/Elder and Ballast Point Sculpin and Dorado DIPA

I can't possibly say which is the best, but here are some that are right up there.

Ommegang Hennepin
Avery Czar
Odell Brewing IPA
Boulevard Tank 7
Odell Brewing Cuthroat Porter (Completely underrated porter in my opinion, doesn't get nearly as much pub as Black Butte or Ed Fitz, but stands right there with those offerings)
Deschuttes Abyss

Lol from the sounds of it i am the only one that drinks stout and porter year round! :mug:

Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout.

I had it two years ago at the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison during a special tapping. It was a very hot day with high humidity, as it had not stop raining until 30 minutes before the gates opened. Basically as anti-stout weather as you can get. I savored every last drop of that beauty and wished I had more.

Back