Anyone sucessfully done a JK Scrumpys clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I just had some of Scrumpys cider for the first time. Way different from any other commercial ciders i have tried(woodchuck, thornsbee(?) etc)

The scrumpys was much more of a appley cider taste. Ingredients were cider and yeast. No sulfites.

Any ideas how they make this stuff? ive searched. Didn't find much but references too it.

JKS is da BOM! Ok, sorry. JKs is awesome. It is my favorite commercial brew. A clone would be awesome. I also looked around but haven't seen anything.

JKS is made on their farm/orchard/?? from their own apples.

Interestingly, J. K. of JK Scumpy's shows up on the forums occasionally. He will also occasionally mention that his wife, K., claims that the K in JK is for her. :-D

AFAIR, it's all made on their farm, bottled by hand, including labels. I mention the labels, because of the running joke about most of the labels being on crooked (that, coupled with the stringent need to sample the scrumpy to ensure high quality... ;-)

-m.

Is JK Scrumpy the same as Scrumpy Jack (from England)? I love me some Scrumpy Jack and would love a good clone recipe. Wish I had more to add, but I'll keep watching here.

Terje

i listened to an interview with JK. 50 degrees. 8-9 months. slow ferment, but how can u do no sulfides? pasteurize?

@Strat,
IIRC, "Scrumpy" is a generic term for English "farm house" cider... usually a pretty informal drink. I think that it is usually naturally fermented (yeasts left on the apples and occuring naturally in the juice). I have read that you can (could) buy it by the gallon.

"Scrumpy Jack" is a brand name (for an English cider).

JK Scrumpy is an American brand. I believe that it is natural yeast only, but someone said that they thought that the JK had champaign yeast added at the last part for some reason (finishing? Carbination? higher ABV?).

If English scrumpy or Scrumpy Jack tastes like JK Scrumpy's, I'd buy it by the gallon, for sure.

@Elf,
Where did you find an interview? Podcast?

Re: no sulfides: I am guessing that is it a mix of
having a low-alc fermenting yeast,
racking off the cider while it's in a cold state,
and the low temps for commercial and customer storage keeping any remaining yeast in a dormant state.

Just guessing.

I've never had JK Scrumpy, but the best cider I've run across was Newton's Folly, a 100% Granny Smith cider. It has a strong apple aroma and flavor. I've noticed the more tart (cooking) apples in a cider, the better the flavor. Sweet (eating) apples ferment down to nothing.

@Re: no sulfides: I am guessing that is it a mix of
having a low-alc fermenting yeast,
racking off the cider while it's in a cold state,
and the low temps for commercial and customer storage keeping any remaining yeast in a dormant state.

Sounded good untill the cold storage. bottles are stored on shelf not cooled :confused:

Elfmaze - Thanks for the interview link. That was very interesting and helpful.

I don’t know about a “clone”, but you can make a decent farmhouse cider in the same style as a JK Scrumpy by a) starting with unpasteurized fresh pressed juice that is a blend of good apples – whatever are the best cider apples in your area, b) keep handling of the juice to a minimum and keep everything scrupulously clean, because wild yeast ferments can easily pick up weird flavors c) let the cider ferment with just the natural yeast at as low a temp as possible and d) stop the fermentation before it gets below 1.020 or so.

The FG of flat, JK Scrumpy at room temp is 1.024. I measured one last year also and it was 1.028. I don’t know if that is because they vary from batch to batch, or maybe last year I didn’t wait for it to go completely flat and there were some bubbles on the hydrometer.

As JoeSponge pointed out on an earlier exchange (which is why I double checked this eve – plus a good excuse to drink another Scrumpy), an FG of 1.024 plus six percent alcohol, means that the SG of their starting juice must be at least 1.072. That’s a lot of sugar, but certainly not impossible. I got a batch of Staymans and Romes this past season that was at 1.064. I have heard of “sweating” apples to increase the sugar content, so my guess is that it is possible to bump the SG to 1.072 if you have full control over the cold storage process. For the rest of us, it is certainly possible to get a good blend of juice that is in the 1.050 to 1.060 range and end up with a similar end product with a little less punch. Personally, I like it just a tad dryer, so you could let it go to 1.010 to 1.015 and it will still be very nice.

As far as stopping it goes, cold crashing will do the trick. But then you have to either drink it still or force carbonate it in a keg. I’d go with the keg. Once you start kegging you wont go back.

So how does Scrumpy’s stop the fermentation and bottle without cold crashing and forced carbonation?

I think the biggest clue is in the interview where JK said that because they use no fertilizers, they have low levels of nitrogen in their apples. Remember, he said that nitrogen hinders the development of flavor and growth. That is really, really interesting, because nitrogen is also a necessary yeast nutrient. A lot of people ADD nitrogen to prevent stuck fermentations. My guess is that JK has figured out how to induce a stuck fermentation by limiting nitrogen. That is probably more reliable than coming up with a yeast with a low alcohol tolerance.

Nitrogen levels can be measured in wine, but it takes some expensive kit. My guess is that after five generations of cider making, the Koan family has figured out how to tell when the nitrogen is getting low enough that the yeast will starve. If you add some champagne yeast and bottle right before the nitrogen runs completely out, that ought to do the trick!

If you want to test this theory, take a bottle of JK scrumpy and add some DAP. My guess is that it will start fermenting like nobody’s business. However, even if I am right I am not sure how helpful that really is, because then trick is how do you tell when nitrogen is so low that you are about to get a stuck fermentation without a lot of expense? If anyone knows the answer to this, then we might have something! Be warned though that one of the signs of a ferment running low on nitrogen is excessive sulfur production, so you’d better have a tolerant S.O. while working out whatever kinks there might be in this process.

I was happy to hear that they use Johnathans in their mix, cause those are one of the first good cider apples that will be available next Fall here in Central VA. C’mon September! I’ve heard good things about Northern Spys before. There is a place that sells them here but they are expensive. I guess that’s because they are outside of their growing range. Staymen, Winesap, York, and Granny Smith are usually plentiful, and I’m pretty happy with those so far.

I'll have to listen to the interview again. What I got out of the data was that they starve oxygen during the fermentation (or was it storage?) phase... something about having equipment that extracts oxygen and puts the remaining gas mix back into the room.

Check out the second half of this page on nitrogen and cider making, from the UK cider pages:
Nitrogen - the Forgotten Element in Cider Making

It seems to confirm that limiting nitrogen levels in the apples is helpful for inducing a stuck fermentation.

This would suggest that if you want to make a cider in the style of Srumpy’s, try to get your apples from an organic producer (low nitrogen seems to be a common factor in organic apple production, not just at JKS) and don’t add any yeast nutrient.

There is a lot of other good info on this website

David_42,

Agree that Newton's Folly is some pretty good cider. We pick-up about 3 x 12pks a week from Trader Joes here in Raleigh. Interestinglig enough, Nnewton's Folly is the exact same cider as woodchuck, just sold under a generic brand for $2 less per 6pk. Made at the same brewery, in Kiddlebury, ad if you look at the bottle its even the same label as the Woodchuck version. Ironic

David_42,

Agree that Newton's Folly is some pretty good cider. We pick-up about 3 x 12pks a week from Trader Joes here in Raleigh. Interestinglig enough, Nnewton's Folly is the exact same cider as woodchuck, just sold under a generic brand for $2 less per 6pk. Made at the same brewery, in Kiddlebury, ad if you look at the bottle its even the same label as the Woodchuck version. Ironic

Very interesting.

I'm making a trip to the Charlotte Trader Joe's this weekend for some Stockyard Oatmeal Stout and their Josephs Braus Dunkelweizen. I'll have to check and see if they have this.

BUMP

This is my favorite cider, and I am hell bent on finding a clone recipe. Their website mentions cinnamon, vanilla, & maple syrup.

Any ideas?

Check out the second half of this page on nitrogen and cider making, from the UK cider pages:
Nitrogen - the Forgotten Element in Cider Making

It seems to confirm that limiting nitrogen levels in the apples is helpful for inducing a stuck fermentation.

This would suggest that if you want to make a cider in the style of Srumpy’s, try to get your apples from an organic producer (low nitrogen seems to be a common factor in organic apple production, not just at JKS) and don’t add any yeast nutrient.

There is a lot of other good info on this website

That's one of the main aspects of keeving as well. It helps when producing a naturally sweet cider.

The JKS winter cider lists cinnamon, vanilla, & maple syrup as ingredients. The regular farmhouse stuff has just apples and yeast.

The closest batch I've tasted to JKS so far was made by some friends before the holidays. They added 2 lbs of brown sugar to fresh unpasteurized juice -- Stayman and Pink Lady, and used WLP300 wheat yeast. The wheat yeasts ferment pretty slow, which gives the wild yeast a bit of a chance to take hold and add some flavor before the wheat yeast takes over - and wheat yeast is easier to manage than a wild yeast batch. It took about 3 or so weeks to drop down to 1.020, at which point they crashed it. The end result was very similar to a JKS - it had a little lighter taste than JKS, which I liked, and definitely in the same style.

The juice was from the same orchard that I go to (Showalters). They dont use nitrogen fertilizers once the trees start producing (same as JKS, although from watching the video podcast it appears JKS may not use nitrogen fertilizers at all).

I've done some natural yeast ferments that have come out fairly close tasting to JKS, at least while the sgs were fairly high. JKS is a fairly sweet cider (1.024 to 1.028) and I usually let my natural yeast ferments go to around 1.015 before crashing, so they finish up a lot lighter, but you could crash before then to get more of a JKS taste.

WLP380 would be another good wheat yeast to use, as it finishes with a strong heavy flavor and is also a lot easier to control than a natural yeast ferment

As JoeSponge pointed out on an earlier exchange (which is why I double checked this eve – plus a good excuse to drink another Scrumpy), an FG of 1.024 plus six percent alcohol, means that the SG of their starting juice must be at least 1.072. That’s a lot of sugar, but certainly not impossible.

I think there is another method to explain the SG. Since they claim there is no added sugar on the bottle and the website http://organicscrumpy.com/WhatIsOrganicScrumpy.html, I think that they start with a 1.045 juice or even up to 1.060, ferment it, and then add back juice to both sweeten and carbonate it. If they went higher, they could "dilute" it back down to 6.0% which would give the strong apple flavor from the new juice.

As far as how they keep it stable? They could have used a centrifuge to remove the yeast. They do let it age for 6 months, which a long aging process sometimes kills all yeasts. Maybe they pasteurize it? Too many theories going on in my head that don't involve sulfites or sorbates.

I think there is another method to explain the SG. Since they claim there is no added sugar on the bottle and the website http://organicscrumpy.com/WhatIsOrganicScrumpy.html, I think that they start with a 1.045 juice or even up to 1.060, ferment it, and then add back juice to both sweeten and carbonate it. If they went higher, they could "dilute" it back down to 6.0% which would give the strong apple flavor from the new juice.

As far as how they keep it stable? They could have used a centrifuge to remove the yeast. They do let it age for 6 months, which a long aging process sometimes kills all yeasts. Maybe they pasteurize it? Too many theories going on in my head that don't involve sulfites or sorbates.
I had a little bit of argument with a person at a local beer bar about where the ridiculous sweetness of Scrumpy's comes from. He said it was due to complex sugars, but I doubt you could get an FG this high with any kind of juice (does juice have that many complex sugars?) unless you either add extra sugar at the start, or backsweeten it somehow, and since the bottle is stamped that it's organic my guess was that they backsweeten it with more juice. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I had a little bit of argument with a person at a local beer bar about where the ridiculous sweetness of Scrumpy's comes from. He said it was due to complex sugars, but I doubt you could get an FG this high with any kind of juice (does juice have that many complex sugars?) unless you either add extra sugar at the start, or backsweeten it somehow, and since the bottle is stamped that it's organic my guess was that they backsweeten it with more juice. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Okay, for those who did not open up my previous link at http://organicscrumpy.com/WhatIsOrganicScrumpy.html, their website says:

After the harvest, we press our organic apples and allow them to slowly ferment for up to six months. We then carefully hand-fill and label each bottle and let it age for several weeks to properly condition.

There are only two ingredients in our Orchard Gate Gold: Juice and Yeast . No artificial flavors or colours and - of course - no sulfite nor preservatives of any kind.

First off, 100% of apple juice sugars are fermentable, so the complex sugar theory that works on beer does not apply here. There is no added sugar, so that is not the case. So, since most apple juice is around 1.055 yet it is a 6.0% finished product, and somebody here on the forum took a hydrometer reading at 1.025, they are most definitely fermenting dry and back sweetening with apple juice. I just don't know how they are stablizing it to do so.

If you are starting with an sg of 1.055, no combination of fermented and unfermented juice will give you an sg of 1.025 and ABV of 6%

I suspect they are sweating their apples in cold storage to about 1.070 or 1.075, which would not be difficult

In interviews, Jim Koan attributes nitrogen limitation as one of the main reasons for the taste, so I suspect they are using nutrient reduction to stop the fermentation, although it could be as simple as post fermentation pasteurization

In interviews, Jim Koan attributes nitrogen limitation as one of the main reasons for the taste, so I suspect they are using nutrient reduction to stop the fermentation, although it could be as simple as post fermentation pasteurization

Wait, do you think he meant keeving when he said nitrogen limitation, or could it be limiting the nitrogen to the trees?

FYI, traditional scrumpy is made by adding protein to the batch and letting it degrade a bit. Many farmers add beef, pork, or mussles. Some choose to add blood from culled animals, and some tend to simply add egg ('safe' scrumpy). I lived in the south of England for years. When you walk into a local pub and see the big oak barrel on the counter just dropped off by the local farmer, yer' in for a treat.

I don't know for a fact how protein helps the fermentation or nitrogen content but, as biochem was part of my education, I can speculate and offer a (fuzzily) educated proposition. As protein degrades it releases proteolytic enzymes. These enzymes break down amino acids which would eventually end up as free nitrogen. Some of the released enzymes are glucanases which break down heavier chains of glucose (e.g. beta-glucose) into alpha glucose which the yeast can utilize.

I don't believe that anyone nowadays would use raw meat or egg in brew, but perhaps a proteolytic enzyme or some concoction of 'degradation enzyme' is added to maintain the low N concentration for flavor and increase usable glucose for higher alcohol content?

Just some thoughts.

Edit: Did a quick search for Devon Scrumpy and came up with a recipe on the firt hit that requires '2lbs raw meat' (http://www.devon-calling.com/food and drink/cider.htm). Come to think of it, when I was brewing beer many moons ago I recall a medieval recipe in (I think) Papazian's 'Joy of Brewing' which required a raw chicken to be added during fermentation.

Wait, do you think he meant keeving when he said nitrogen limitation, or could it be limiting the nitrogen to the trees?

He meant limiting nitrogen to the trees - which will in turn reduce the amount of nitrogen in the juice. Getting a fermentation to stick at a high fg is fairly easy with low nitrogen juice. Unfortunately most commercial growers over fertilize to pump up their weight and juice yields, but you can still find growers who care more about taste than volume.

I believe the traditional reason people added meat to cider was to get enough nutrients for a complete fermentation, because back in the day there was no nitrogen fertilizer other than animal waste. Maybe the protein adds some body.

Personally, I like the taste of bacon, but not in my cider. To each his/her own

About protein - Andrew Lea's website reads:

The next addition is that of vitamins and yeast nutrient. These may be bought as such or may be added as thiamine and ammonium sulphate (or phosphate) respectively. The dosage rate is up to 0.2 milligrams per litre of thiamine and up to 300 milligrams per litre of ammonium salt. This is what was meant by 'amino nitrogen' in Table 1 of the previous article, and it is needed by the yeast to make protein and amino acids for its own growth. (This is not unlike human and animal nutrition - the yeast's carbohydrate or energy source is of course the apple sugar which is not in short supply!) Apple juices are generally very low in yeast nutrients (unlike beer worts or grape musts) and so your fermentation rate will probably be much improved if you add these. The fermentation is also much less likely to 'stick' or to grind to a halt before completion. The cider can therefore be racked and bottled sooner, reducing the chances of spoilage in store. On the other hand, it is undeniable that some of the finest ciders are fermented very slowly without the addition of nutrients, but the risks of failure are correspondingly greater. You pays your money and you takes your choice! Traditional cider-makers used to hang a leg of mutton or a side of beef in the fermenting vat to boost the nutrient levels. The meat broke down slowly in the acid juice, releasing soluble amino nitrogen which the yeast could use for growth. The supposed requirement of a few dead rats in every vat is a more colourful manifestation of the same idea!

Traditional cider-makers used to hang a leg of mutton or a side of beef in the fermenting vat to boost the nutrient levels. The meat broke down slowly in the acid juice, releasing soluble amino nitrogen which the yeast could use for growth.

Hmm... I suppose so, but keep in mind that the "traditional" cure for botulism poisoning was to bleed the patient with leeches and then blame evil spirits when said patient inevitably died. Basic sanitation is a relatively recent concept

The supposed requirement of a few dead rats in every vat is a more colourful manifestation of the same idea!

If by "colourful" he means "only your most hardcore alcoholic friends will touch the stuff and you have long since abandoned all hopes of getting laid", then um... sure....whatever works

BUMP

Has anyone made any concerted attempts to match J.K.'s yet?

I sent an email to Bruce Wright (listed on their website) last night asking for any general advice, haven't heard back yet.

I'm pretty set on doing some experiments with this in the coming fall months. I've found an organic apple orchard (nitrogen fertilizer-free) within driving distance of where I live, and am waiting till they've had a few more pressings before I buy their juice (to get a pretty well mixed contribution of apples). Once I've got the juice, I plan on doing a couple separate 1 g batches to test out a couple different methods of doing things.

I've been hearing back from Bruce, and he's been giving a couple helpful tid-bits.

For one, they don't use the champagne yeast any longer. They've found that since beginning several years back, they now have a large enough wild yeast culture going, and are fermenting in such large quantities, that the commercial yeast is no longer needed.

Beyond that, he's basically been confirming a lot of the suppositions on this thread. I have a couple more questions off to him, regarding bottle conditioning and if they sweat their apples, so I'll keep the thread updated.

I did a couple more wild yeast batches last season that came out in the JKS style. I cold crashed these and keg carbed. I've also had some interesting results with bottle carbonation using nitrogen reduction and Wy3333. A bit drier than JKS but still very good and much more reliable than a natural yeast fermentation. I'd be interested to hear what Bruce says

What was your method of reducing the nitrogen? Keeving? If so, did you use sulfites? But if you used Wy3333 for the batches that you reduced the nitrogen in, I suppose that means you probably didn't keeve, or at least didn't add the commercial yeast until after racking the cider out from underneath the brown cap. Could you elaborate, please?

I'm most likely not going to be keeving this season, but instead just relying on the low nitrogen organic apples - if I can find a reliable supply of the apple varieties I'm looking for in NW Missouri.

I just used low nitrogen organic apples, no keeving or sulfites and pitched the yeast right after the pressing. The Wy3333 seems to use a lot of nitrogen (as do most of the wheat yeasts), but the yeast doesnt completely drop out on the crash (at least with the juice I used). For the last batch I added 1.5lbs of orange blossom honey and crashed at 1.016. After the crash, I let it sit about 2 weeks in the secondary, where it dropped to 1.012. Then I bottled a dozen bottles at the end of April and kegged the rest. The bottles took about 3 months to carb up. So far no bottle bombs even though they have been sitting in my basement with no AC and this is the hottest summer on record. I havent measured one, but it tastes like they dropped about 2 points in the bottle. Could use just a little more carb. The first three batches of 3333 that I did were gallon batches and I didnt wait as long after the crash to bottle - just a couple days. These came out very well carbed and no bottle bombs although I drank them all within a few months so hard to say for sure how long they would have kept. I was a little more conservative on the carb for this last batch, because I wanted to see if they could last through the summer. So far, so good.

As far as stopping it goes, cold crashing will do the trick. But then you have to either drink it still or force carbonate it in a keg. I’d go with the keg. Once you start kegging you wont go back.

I think the JK Scrumpys is meant to be drunk still...from their website:

I have had people question the “head” on our cider, especially those who are not familiar with this traditional drink. Well... there is no head, its CIDER not beer!

Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to sweat the apples. Basically, I can just leave them on a tarp in the yard? We had 90 degree days here last week (Philly area) and I'm guessing that isn't going to work. Any suggestions? I was hoping to get started on a trial batch (it has been a long time since I brewed anything) this week, but it looks like I need to let them sweat.

Every JKS I've had has been carbed. My understanding is that they use a variation of nutrient reduction to get it to stop before the sugar runs out.

Usually, apples are sweated in cold storage. I'm not sure this is feasible on a small scale unless you have an old root cellar or something like that. You need a consistently cool place to do this. You can also accomplish something similar by freezing some of the water out of the juice before you ferment it. You dont need to sweat the apples to get a close JKS clone. Sweating is good for naturally bumping the alcohol level on a sweet cider, but it terms of impact on taste, using a wheat yeast and a bit of brown sugar is pretty close for a lot less work.

Fresh juice, wheat yeast eg WLP380 and a bit of brown sugar, ferment cool and crash or bottle pasteurize at 1.015 to 1.020 will get you pretty close.

With regards to Nitrogen levels in J. K. Scrumpy fruit, they let's pigs graze in their orchard to eat fallen fruit before pests have a chance to infest and reproduce. The decaying process of the pig excrement will significantly reduce N levels in the soil.

Fresh juice, wheat yeast eg WLP380 and a bit of brown sugar, ferment cool and crash or bottle pasteurize at 1.015 to 1.020 will get you pretty close.

I assume bottle carb for a few days, then bottle pasteurize? How do you know when it's properly carb'd? Won't the CO2 not be dissolved in the cider immediately, meaning you'll get gushers in the first few days?

Back