aging RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjyh84

Reaction score
Hiya,

Im about to brew my first imperial russian stout, and according to the research ive made, most ot recommend aging the beer (anywhere from 6 to 12 months), i was wondering, is this really necessary?

to my undestanding, aging is inly really necessary for us homebrewers since we cannot perfectly control o2 levels during ferm, and a few others things; basically, the lack of precise control over several variables induce in a few off flavours or undesired effects in the final beer, hence aging allows yeast to clean up after itself during this aging time.

however, most of the stuff ive read abt brewing imperial stouts suggests that aging is necessary due to the high levels of alcohol and to mellow out the roastiness. but with the above in mind, and supposing that i have the right amount of o2 in wort, correct pitching rates, good temp control, etc., would i still need to age?

Hiya,

Im about to brew my first imperial russian stout, and according to the research ive made, most ot recommend aging the beer (anywhere from 6 to 12 months), i was wondering, is this really necessary?

to my undestanding, aging is inly really necessary for us homebrewers since we cannot perfectly control o2 levels during ferm, and a few others things; basically, the lack of precise control over several variables induce in a few off flavours or undesired effects in the final beer, hence aging allows yeast to clean up after itself during this aging time.

however, most of the stuff ive read abt brewing imperial stouts suggests that aging is necessary due to the high levels of alcohol and to mellow out the roastiness. but with the above in mind, and supposing that i have the right amount of o2 in wort, correct pitching rates, good temp control, etc., would i still need to age?

What is the recipe and what is the OG? What kind of yeast are you going to use and are you bottling or kegging.

Age it until it tastes good. If that is right away, awesome, good work. Otherwise, just wait for the jet fuel to turn into beer.

After a month in bottles mine was good. However, letting it sit longer it gets to become excellent. Big beers like this really develope better with time.

What is the recipe and what is the OG? What kind of yeast are you going to use and are you bottling or kegging.

It's still kinda rough, but:

5 gallon batch
OG: 1.086
IBU: 65
Bottling.

85.5% pale ale malt
9% chocolate
4% C120
1.5% roasted barley

80min boil:
80min warrior for 48 ibus
15min chinook for 17 ibus