blow off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loganb

Reaction score
ok i still use my mrbeer fermenter for my all grain fermenting needs and was wanting to get a 3 gallon better bottle. i was wondering if it is ok to just use a blow off tube the whole duration of fermentation? or should i get a blow off tube and an airlock? and what size tubing should i get for a 3 gallon better bottle? thanks

Not sure what size to get for the 3 gallon better bottle....but I've used a blow-off tube only setup several times with no ill effects.

You may not need a blow off tube on every batch... What I have done several times in the past is use the blow off tube on the primary then an air lock on the secondary.

As far as the size... you can always use an air lock and stick a 1/2 inch hose over the tube in the air lock, then in a bucket of water... my 2 cents

i am assuming that Mr. Beer makes 3 gallon batches? if so get a 5 gallon carboy and use an ordinary airlock and stopper.

No idea on that one. But I use the blow off tube until fermentation starts to chill out some. Then I put on an air lock. Just me though. If your system works stick with it.

i am thinking i will just get a blow off tube and airlock with a stopper. Santa needs to hurry his ass up and get here.

You can leave a blow-off tube on as long as you want. Just make sure the tip is submerged in some clean water, sanitizing solution, or cheap vodka and it will work fine.

Back