Guinness Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not, and don't know why you would want that widget in there with your beer. To each his own though.

If it doesn't affect the taste I wouldn't mind leaving it in as the thought struck me out of necessity... but now that you mention it... I'm not sure what purpose it serves. hehe.

Actually, it stores a bit of beer, rather than nitrogen. It acts like a mini stout faucet inside the beer to create that super creamy head.

I believe Guinness bottles are good for bottlers - the label comes off pretty easily, and I think they were designed to handle higher pressure than normal bottles. If you do use one, though, you'll have to get the widget out - it's hollow and covered with tiny holes that would be impossible to sanitize.

fjcrusader02 said:
I have the plastic comes out easy with needle nose pliers.
I like the shape too.

I'll vouch for that also. I use them regurlarly. Give the bottle a shake so that the widget logdes in the neck of the bottle and remove it with needle nosed pliers.

These are my favorite bottles for reusing. There is no glue on the label so it's easy to get off. Also as others mentioned the widget comes out really easily with needle-nose pliers.

paranode said:
These are my favorite bottles for reusing. There is no glue on the label so it's easy to get off. Also as others mentioned the widget comes out really easily with needle-nose pliers.

my thoughts exactly... labels come off very easy and the widget is a breeze to pull out with needle-nose pliers. the best part is drinking all of the guinness to get the empties!:mug:

Yeah, but couldn't you "reuse" the widget to replicate the effect with your own beer? The pressure would force beer in there like at the factory - perhaps you would have to over carbonate a little and fill it real cold. Using beer gas of course.

Worth a try with one bottle at least. But you're right, sanitation would be a challenge.

I have used them, and love them. Tip the bottle upside down, use needlenose pliers, and the plastic label peels off with no mess. They got a durn sexay shape too!

I have never considered using the bottle with the widget still in there. I don't think you should either. The bottles are the bees knees though!

Guiness Druaght bottles = All around best smaller sized (16oz?) bottles to collect. No soaking labels in OxyClean. A good serrated knife to cut the pasti-label, some needle nosers to de-widget, and you'll have a collection ready to fill in a quarter of the time of regular bottles.

JohnA111 said:
Guiness Druaght bottles = All around best smaller sized (16oz?) bottles to collect. No soaking labels in OxyClean. A good serrated knife to cut the pasti-label, some needle nosers to de-widget, and you'll have a collection ready to fill in a quarter of the time of regular bottles.

Once you take the widget out, you can get 12 oz in these bottles. Guiness bottles are great. I love the shape and they just seem stronger than the standard beer bottle (to me at least.)

Back