First Brew - Feel Free To Advise.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepspeaking

Reaction score
Last night I started my first Brew day at 7pm with a buddy.
Robust Beard Porter extract kit from HomeBrew Supply.

With my 2.5g in my brew kettle on the glass stove top by 7:50pm i had the proper temp (155°) to start steeping my grains in a grain bag:

vkr9OQG.jpg

After the 20min steep at 8:15pm I was ready to sparge and shoot for boil. (Sparged with water at 175°)

GcQtEOH.jpg

at 9:20pm we got the rolling boil needed to add the dry extract.

OSIUTp0.jpg

went back to heat and 25min later at 9:55 we were back to a rolling boil

4QQOvHR.jpg

then held that boil for an hour, hoppings were 60min, 15min, and 0min. pic of the first hopping

SI5NQc2.jpg

After in ice bath that took about 30-45min at 11:24pm (no pics) we were at 80° in the carboy (instructions said to transfer to carboy at 90°)

gP7aaNq.jpg

then it took 2hrs and 20min to get to the temp needed to pitch the yeast. And i have the carboy in my fermenting chamber (Chest Freezer with temp controller holding @ 34°)

wpHLfzL.jpg

trying to hold the chamber at 70° until fermentation starts and then down to 66-68°.

Notes and Concerns during: (looking for advice here)

Held steep temp well 155-162° by moving on and off of burner, tea-bag motion with the grain bag and stirring for most of it.

Sparged by putting grain bag in a colander and pouring 2.5 gallons of water at 175° water over it in small portions (too hot? no colander? pour all at once?)

took a while any time we tried to gain temp (normal? move to propane burner?)

only one boil over event because it was taking a while after the dry extract so we partially covered it and sat down... rookie move...

took FOREVER to drop temp from 80° to 75° even in a freezer(didn't use the temp controller for a bit, Should i have brought it down further in the ice bath? or would i have chanced getting it below 70° and ruined my pitch?)

So From 7pm-1:45am almost 8hours for a 5 gallon batch seems rough.

Control the beer temperature with your chest freezer and external thermostat.

Don't monitor ambient or set it to 34F. The beer will get too cold.

Set it to ~64F and position the sensor probe on the fermentor so it reads th beer temp. Insulatet it from the air in the chest freezer with something. (Beer coozie, insulation, bubble wrap all work)

Set your temp to ~64 with the hysteresis at the minimum (`0.3C) and the delay to ~10 mins. (Do you use an STC 1000?)

The temperature probe is under the black insulation directly in contact with the glass carboy.

Like So
Cold Crashed Beer.jpg

Don't sweat a bit of a delay till you get to pitch. Pitching slightly cooler than you will ferment at is something I favor. It is theorized to be better for yeast health. Often wait a few hours if brewing a lager. Lots of folks do no chill and pitch the next day. Lagers I pitch at 48F. Ales usually 60-62F and allow both to rise passively to the set point where things stay till I make changes later in the fermentation process. (That's a whole other topic)

Steeping grains don't need to be sparged. You can rinse them with water cooler than 170F if you want. No harm. Easier just to squeeze the bag. Don't confuse steeping with mashing where sparging methods of various types can be used.

Steep the grains while you're heating the water. Once it gets to 170F take them out and squeeze or not. Discard. You're wasting time and effort rinsing the steeping grains.

Thanks for the welcome!
I'm taking notes on NOT sparging steeping grains.

I do have the probe wedged under the brew hauler with piece of foam rubber and the glass carboy.

I'll adjust temp to the proper ferment temp with 0° variance, and 6min compressor delay.

so 7-8hr brew day is normal for 5 gallons?

Thanks for the welcome!

I do have the probe wedged under the brew hauler with piece of foam rubber and the glass carboy.

I'll adjust temp to the proper ferment temp with 0° variance, and 6min compressor delay.

"so 7-8hr brew day is normal for 5 gallons"
5or6 for all grain, you will improve as you get familiar with the process.

I foresee a blow out! You need more headspace and or a large blow off tube ASAP!
Congrats!

uhoh, not set up for that..... I thought about that... i tried to get my 3/8ths hose through the bung, wouldn't fit......

should i go pick up the parts for that?

Hahaha, i think its funny how much of an adrenaline rush you get when you think you have a success/failure. I'm sure this fades with time. But being my first 5 gallon batch, and my first beer brew. I'm sure my darling wife is tired of hearing about it. Only saving grace is that she loves porters/stouts.

uhoh, not set up for that..... I thought about that... i tried to get my 3/8ths hose through the bung, wouldn't fit......

Hahaha, i think its funny how much of an adrenaline rush you get when you think you have a success/failure. I'm sure this fades with time. But being my first 5 gallon batch, and my first beer brew. I'm sure my darling wife is tired of hearing about it. Only saving grace is that she loves porters/stouts.

YOU COULD DUMP A HALF GALLON OR SO NOW OR FIND A GALLON ON THE CEILING. Not yelling but not retyping:eek:

Thanks for the welcome!

:D

Sounds like you and your mate had 7-8 hours of fun. What's the rush.:)

But no. A 5 gallon extract batch would be for many folks a ~2-3hour job.

First brew-day. All bets are off. Just be happy you didn't set your kitchen on fire. We all get more efficient with successive brews. Heck, cleaning up took me a good few brews to organize well. Still a PITA but things don't take so long anymore.

You never get that same feeling as the first time you make wort, its a beautiful thing.

If you want to reduce the time your brew day takes I would recommend a big burner and an immersion chiller, knocked 3 hours off my brew day with quicker heating and cooling and still manage 60 min mash and full boils so no corners cut :)

YOU COULD DUMP A HALF GALLON OR SO NOW OR FIND A GALLON ON THE CEILING. Not yelling but not retyping:eek:

ok i have the gear to siphon off a gallon into a sanitized 1 gallon carboy...

fine to ferment separately there?

I assume the yeast pitch is mixed in well by now...

The two things I noticed: Cool to pitching temperatures, then add the yeast. Keep cooling before you pitch the yeast. Mid sixties for most ale yeasts.

Blow off tube!!! I start EVERY batch with a blow off assembly. I have never had to clean the ceiling.....

Why did it take so long? Extracts take me only about 3-4 hours including cleanup even with an ice bath in the sink. All grain only about 4 - 4.5 hours....

Congrats on your first brew. First of all, RELAX! The process will get easier as you brew more batches, I promise! Secondly, get a blow off tube on that carboy ASAP! You'd rather be drinking that beer than mopping it off the ceiling and floor, right? :D Last but not least, welcome aboard! :mug:

Congrats on your first brew. First of all, RELAX! The process will get easier as you brew more batches, I promise! Secondly, get a blow off tube on that carboy ASAP! You'd rather be drinking that beer than mopping it off the ceiling and floor, right? :D Last but not least, welcome aboard! :mug:

I would so much rather drink it than mop it! I'll siphon off 3/4 gallon and hope for the best. THANKS!!!

The two things I noticed: Cool to pitching temperatures, then add the yeast. Keep cooling before you pitch the yeast. Mid sixties for most ale yeasts.

Blow off tube!!! I start EVERY batch with a blow off assembly. I have never had to clean the ceiling.....

Why did it take so long? Extracts take me only about 3-4 hours including cleanup even with an ice bath in the sink. All grain only about 4 - 4.5 hours....

I'm guessing the extra time was in coming to temp and dropping temp... I provided my timeline so that i could get some feed back on what went so far off the norm.

Bring up to temperature. More BTU. If on a stove you are limited. If on propane etc. A better burner or turn up the gas.

Dropping the temperature. Cool with cold water - stir the water and stir the wort. If it both sides are stagnant the chilling will only effect a little on each side of the pot. Get it fairly low then add ice.. A lot of ice....

Next steps - an immersion chiller or a plate chiller. I use a DIY immersion chiller for $$ reasons. I made 2 sections of 20' copper tubing. In the summer one part can be a pre-chiller in a bucket with ice. In the winter both sections go into the wort. I am looking to a plate chiller or counterflow chiller in the future.

Yes it is, that was a little caramel apple cider, my first brew this year, which is now aging until around November in that Styrofoam box behind that central market jug.

Yesterday I thought I was about to loose the batch. There still wasn't any sign of active yeast (no rolling bubbles up the side), and small floating patches of white started to form. Couldn't see through the condensation on the inside of the glass well. Thought maybe it was the fuzzy funk starting. but this morning. ....

View attachment 1439385145747.jpg

View attachment 1439385154960.jpg

Yesterday I thought I was about to loose the batch. There still wasn't any sign of active yeast (no rolling bubbles up the side), and small floating patches of white started to form. Couldn't see through the condensation on the inside of the glass well. Thought maybe it was the fuzzy funk starting. but this morning. ....

Thanks for the heads up on the blow out!!!

Looking good. Great pictures of the whole process. thanks for sharing. Glad to see the fermentor's minime is also kicking off nicely.

Good job managing this potential problem so well. Crisis averted. :D

Looking good!

We live in Rockport Jan-March, so maybe you could invite me over to brew? :D

I don't bring brewing gear to Texas, but I do bring a couple of kegs of homebrew. My neighbors have let me brew with them a few times, just because I miss it so much when I'm in Texas.

Let us know how this comes out- it looks well on its way.

where was the, "Hey sleep, once this thing gets going, it is gonna smell amazing. However, don't stick your head in the chest freezer and inhale deeply, as it could lead to DEATH!!!"

Smells fantastic in there, but such a bad idea.

It didn't dawn on me when my head broke the plane of the "confined space" but when I took a deep breath and felt a bit woozy, all the refinery safety council classes I've taken, gases in low lying areas and whatnot... came rushing back.

So second crisis semi averted.

Also I noticed, I didn't filter this well at all when it came out of the kettle.
And it smells really heavy on the hops.

Trouble from leaving too much hops in for the ~21day primary?

where was the, "Hey sleep, once this thing gets going, it is gonna smell amazing. However, don't stick your head in the chest freezer and inhale deeply, as it could lead to DEATH!!!"

Smells fantastic in there, but such a bad idea.

It didn't dawn on me when my head broke the plane of the "confined space" but when I took a deep breath and felt a bit woozy, all the refinery safety council classes I've taken, gases in low lying areas and whatnot... came rushing back.

So second crisis semi averted.

Also I noticed, I didn't filter this well at all when it came out of the kettle.
And it smells really heavy on the hops.

Trouble from leaving too much hops in for the ~21day primary?

Looking like your doing fine, don't open it up too soon though, resist!
No warning? I'm all for survival of the fittest, warning labels should be outlawed:rockin:

Looks like the little mini-me 1 gallon batch I siphoned of the primary may be finishing up. Much slower action in the bubbler, where yesterday they were identical. Would the yeast finish with the smaller quantity faster? Or maybe sub prime Temps due to the size difference and only monitoring the larger one is stalling the yeast ?

Both carboy's airlocks stopped bubbling.

So last night I bottled, little worried about bombs. the fg should have been 1.01 something it was 1.022 but I added 96g of dextrose to the bottling bucket for priming sugar (after boiling it with 2/3 cup of water)

Sanitized everything

Combined the 4 gallons with half gallon that I had added the oak chips and bourbon to, because it was too strong on the oak flavor. Both into the bottling bucket with the dextrose, filtered for good measure.

Then bottle wanded that into the bottles and capped

Stuck the bottles in enclosed containers in case of explosion, and cleaned up. ... 7:45pm to 11:45pm. Including the post bottling washing of the bottles on a vinegar and bleach dip.

View attachment 1440261440773.jpg

View attachment 1440261458683.jpg

View attachment 1440261639882.jpg

View attachment 1440261692585.jpg

View attachment 1440261707544.jpg

View attachment 1440261856314.jpg

View attachment 1440261909672.jpg

View attachment 1440261925544.jpg

View attachment 1440261942353.jpg

View attachment 1440261954002.jpg

Back