Is it the rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently made a batch of How Rye I Am saison (25% rye). I tasted it several times (shortly after primary then a few months later) and it tasted smokey and phenolic. I assumed it was infected, until I remembered I made (and dumped) another rye beer that tasted exactly the same... the AHS Blonde Rye (12.5% rye). The saison was all grain, the Blond Rye was extract. I haven't had this flavor in any other beers.

Do I hate rye or have a on-again-off-again infection? I kind of like Great Divide's Hoss Rye Lager, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

I have done several Rye Saisons, I almost never like them right after they were carbed. Wait, it will evolve and get better. How old is it?

When I use Rye I find that it takes longer to settle out. Wait atleast 3-4 weeks after carbing.

Rye malt has that intense spicy bite, and that's most likely what you're tasting. It will settle down in a few weeks if you give it time. In your next batches, try a 5% addition on the grain bill and see how that does for you.

My favorite solution to the rye bite is using flaked rye instead of rye malt. It's much less harsh on the tongue. I use a pound of flaked rye on my RyeIPA and it comes out with just this subtle bit of rye spice. Much more sweet and subtle.

Thanks guys. It's about 8 weeks old right now, so maybe it is just a flavor that doesn't jive with me. I'll try a smaller amount and see how flaked rye works out.

Latest posts

Back