How long is StarSan good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainbrad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I try and reserve some StarSan mixed in water each time I make some up in case I need to sanitize something I forgot to sanitize (or worry that I didn't sanitize it enough or it has bee too long since I sanitized it or yadda yadda) ...

How long is that mixed up StarSan good for?

I think the company quotes like 1 month or something like that, but when it goes cloudy,people have tested it a lot longer than that.

watch this at about 330ish

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine goes cloudy immediately cuz I use tap water. As long as the pH is acid.. it's good. I think it was BrewNetwork that had an interview with the guy that developed it. Was a good listen.

If you mix it with Distilled water it will keep for ALLLLONG time and wont degrade/get cloudy

sorry to thread jack but i have a slightly modified version of the same question, how long does starsan last? in particular how long will the undiluted solution last in the container when one of the caps is broken???

It is an Acid, not sure what the half life is, but I am sure it's longer than how long it will take the average HB to use it up.

As long as the Ph is under 3 it is effective. You can get ph test strips on ebay for like 4 bucks shipped. So, it doesnt matter if you use distilled water or tap water, it doesnt matter if its crystal clear or cloudy. Its all about the ph level of the sanitizer solution.

As long as the Ph is under 3 it is effective. You can get ph test strips on ebay for like 4 bucks shipped. So, it doesnt matter if you use distilled water or tap water, it doesnt matter if its crystal clear or cloudy. Its all about the ph level of the sanitizer solution.
Tonight I listened to an interview of Charley Talley, creator of StarSan, and it's not clear to me that this is correct. He says in the interview that the killing power of StarSan comes from the combination of the acidic aspect and the anionic soaping aspect (he had a different name for the soaping aspect--detergent, surfactant?--I can't remember). He specifically says that either alone is inadequate, and if I heard him correctly, he says that what's degraded by hard water is the ionic soaping aspects. He said that using distilled water, which lacks the minerals that degrade the anionic properties, would result in a very long-lasting solution, corroborating ChaosStout. Me, I don't know, but if I heard him correctly, it is not the case that you can assume effectiveness of a low pH StarSan solution.

Tonight I listened to an interview of Charley Talley, creator of StarSan, and it's not clear to me that this is correct. He says in the interview that the killing power of StarSan comes from the combination of the acidic aspect and the anionic soaping aspect (he had a different name for the soaping aspect--detergent, surfactant?--I can't remember). He specifically says that either alone is inadequate, and if I heard him correctly, he says that what's degraded by hard water is the ionic soaping aspects. He said that using distilled water, which lacks the minerals that degrade the anionic properties, would result in a very long-lasting solution, corroborating ChaosStout. Me, I don't know, but if I heard him correctly, it is not the case that you can assume effectiveness of a low pH StarSan solution.

Thanks! I'm just basing my last statement on my OWN experience and my local water. I have used cloudy star san with a PH lower than 3 with no ill effects. Results may vary...

I mix my StarSan in gallon jugs of distilled water and so far it looks clear as can be and foams up just as much as it did on day 1, going on 2 months now and 4 brew days. :)

Latest posts

Back