DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay on the pic. Had a little fishing vacation this past weekend. Brewed on 2/19/2012, bottled on 4/13/2012. Maybe it's a little young to drink but it's too tasty not to indulge. The hops are starting to subside and the malt and fruit is coming forward. This is a great brew.

Cheers.

image-1977096090.jpg

Well guys, figure since I've mentioned it a couple of times I'd let you know, IM A DAD!

Jonah was born Tuesday at 544pm, 9lbs 8oz, 22.5in long. He's the man! He'll be throwing hops within the next few years, guarantee it.

I had to run by the house last night to pick up some things we forgot to bring to the hospital (and a pizza for my wife's first real meal) - checked out the keg and everything is looking good, can't wait for that first celebratory 120 on tap when we get home Saturday!

Jsmith82 said:
Well guys, figure since I've mentioned it a couple of times I'd let you know, IM A DAD!

Jonah was born Tuesday at 544pm, 9lbs 8oz, 22.5in long. He's the man! He'll be throwing hops within the next few years, guarantee it.

I had to run by the house last night to pick up some things we forgot to bring to the hospital (and a pizza for my wife's first real meal) - checked out the keg and everything is looking good, can't wait for that first celebratory 120 on tap when we get home Saturday!

Congrats!

I cracked open a bottle tonight. Now around 7 months since I bottled it. It's smoothed out significantly from when it was fresh. There's still lots of hop character, as well as a firm bitterness. I just wish I had carbed it more...

well i leaked a tank of co2 yesterday so i bottled one flat to enjoy with some family in town. bottled and capped , sat for about an hour and exploded! this damn beer is possesd i swear

Got the yeast and hops from the US. That was quick just a week with usps. Now I just have to wait for a bucket to be available in a couple weeks.

The place where I ordered from is only about 200 yards from my old apartment when I lived in CA. Never knew about home brewing back then. It was a shock to see the sender address.

Quick poll, but how do you clarify this monster? I'm ready to keg, and after 7.5 ounces of dry-hopping in a bag, I'm still left with the smell of awesomeness but the visual aesthetic of muddy piss water... even after throwing in 3/4 a bottle of biofine.

To be honest with you, this beer has a chill haze that just doesn't go away. When it warms up to around 50F or so, it's very clear. So my advice is simply drink it warmer, lol

To be honest with you, this beer has a chill haze that just doesn't go away. When it warms up to around 50F or so, it's very clear. So my advice is simply drink it warmer, lol

This puppy looks pretty muddy in the secondary at 68, I can't imagine chill on top of that.

Must... stop... myself... from... purchasing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well fellas, the dad life has kept me damn busy but tonight I got to take a pull off the keg and let me say, CHEERS BOYS!!.

Exactly what this beer needed, double the hops and half the sugar. My 17% beast has no sweetness at all yet a cider feeling that reminds you sugar was the abv fuel, this despite the low gravity finish. The nose is hops, perfect. The hop taste could be stronger but I'm definitely not complaning.

The 2012 dfh clone was / is a complete success, big thanks to the regulars of this topic and everybody's ideas and feedback, we all strayed from the path and it was to a great success.

I'm bottling a 12 pack, 6 to age, 6 to trade. If any regulars of this topic care to trade 120's PM me.

2013 - goodbye cascade, hello citra. PS, heavy on the bitter.

2012-06-07222145.jpg

FYI: I'm going to crack open a bottle of 120 minute next month when I brew my 2nd clone attempt. I'll degas a few ounces of it, and check the gravity of the real thing so we know.

I'm getting ready to brew it this week end. I did the first started on Saturday.

Just a couple of questions. You recipe call for 5 oz of amarillo, 4 oz of simcoe and finally 3oz of warrior. Where does the extra 4 oz come from?

What kind of yeast energiser did you use? I have some White Labs WLN3200 Servomyces and White Labs Nutrient WLN1000-1. Should i use one or both during the boil?

Finally for the olive oil drop did you put it in the initial starter of 800ml or when you ramped it up to 6000ml? Did you put a drop in both your starter of WLP007 and WLP 099?

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to brew it this week end. I did the first started on Saturday.

Just a couple of questions. You recipe call for 5 oz of amarillo, 4 oz of simcoe and finally 3oz of warrior. Where does the extra 4 oz come from?

What kind of yeast energiser did you use? I have some White Labs WLN3200 Servomyces and White Labs Nutrient WLN1000-1. Should i use one or both during the boil?

Finally for the olive oil drop did you put it in the initial starter of 800ml or when you ramped it up to 6000ml? Did you put a drop in both your starter of WLP007 and WLP 099?

Thanks.

-Olive Oil in every starter
-Any yeast energizer you want to use would work great
-Extra 4oz of hops? I used 12oz in the boil because I felt the other recipes around weren't hoppy enough. There's an additional 6oz of hops that are dry hopped.

. Even with 16oz of hops in the boil</b>, there's hardly any hop aroma, and little bitterness. So it's time to start the 3 week long dry hop with 6oz of hops.

I read that on post 122 of this thread that you had added 16oz in the boil.
I'm sorry to want to clarify this because you state a few times that it is not hopped enough.

On your first post you mention possibly adding 4 oz of cascade. Are those the 4 oz extra hops?

I'm fermenting my second batch and the 007 is going wild. I ran 5 batches of my haus pale ale on the cake in the primary, I never changed it out, then racked the 120 min onto it. I'm at 15.5% and SG is hanging down around 1.005, still haven't pitched the high grav yeast yet, mashed @ 150F for 90 mins. Wild.

mxracer652 said:
I'm fermenting my second batch and the 007 is going wild. I ran 5 batches of my haus pale ale on the cake in the primary, I never changed it out, then racked the 120 min onto it. I'm at 15.5% and SG is hanging down around 1.005, still haven't pitched the high grav yeast yet, mashed @ 150F for 90 mins. Wild.

Wait. I'm reading this as you brewed 5 batches and kept pitching on the same cake without washing in between. Is that right? And that got you 15.5% BEFORE adding 099?

What was your OG? 007 got down to 1.005?Wow.

Man, I had taken a couple of readings about a week apart and my "low gravity" version was hanging out at 1.008. Now I've just started racking onto 10 oz. of dry hops, took a sample, and got this. I may need to do something for this. That 099 is really crazy stuff, it just keeps on chewing. That puts me at 15.5 ABV

image-1675300748.jpg

Nice! I don't think I ever saw a gravity this low for a beer. can't wait to brew mine just a couple more days.

How does it taste?

Akavango said:
Nice! I don't think I ever saw a gravity this low for a beer. can't wait to brew mine just a couple more days.

How does it taste?

Neither have I, not by a long shot. It tastes... Interesting. Lots of alcohol, but not hot solventy alcohol. I can see where the hop complaints come in. I hopped this thing TO DEATH in the boil, I think I calculated around 300 IBU theoretical. However all those amazing hop flavors that were present are now not. Now it has gone down upon 10 ounces of dry hops. I think this one really is going to need to bottle age for a few months. I brewed it 2 months ago or so.

So you left it 2 months in the primary. How long will you keep in the secondary before you bottle?

Akavango said:
So you left it 2 months in the primary. How long will you keep in the secondary before you bottle?

Well, I'm dry hopping for 14 days and then I'll probably cold crash for 3 and then bottle condition for a loooong time.

I need to get this out of my keg because I'm PLOWING through it lol. It's good cold but I've noticed the real taste and clarity comes out after about 10 minutes in the glass. It really gets tasty, too tasty. So tasty in fact one might forget they are drinking a 17%ABV beverage and go get a second or third refill.

Then you wake up on top of your air conditioner outside with a briefcase handcuffed to one arm and half a ham sandwich in the other, no pants on, tuxedo top, an eyebrow has been burned off, you have a tramp stamp, and somebody drew "Mommy loves me" across your forehead with a sharpie.

Get it out of the keg, Josh. Do it soon.

I need to get this out of my keg because I'm PLOWING through it lol. It's good cold but I've noticed the real taste and clarity comes out after about 10 minutes in the glass. It really gets tasty, too tasty. So tasty in fact one might forget they are drinking a 17%ABV beverage and go get a second or third refill.

Then you wake up on top of your air conditioner outside with a briefcase handcuffed to one arm and half a ham sandwich in the other, no pants on, tuxedo top, an eyebrow has been burned off, you have a tramp stamp, and somebody drew "Mommy loves me" across your forehead with a sharpie.

Get it out of the keg, Josh. Do it soon.

That is my kind of beer.:rockin:

My wlp 007 starter is ready, the yeast volume has increased dramatcally but the one for the high gravity yeast seems to be very slow. After the second feeding of the first starter i could see a large increase in yeast but i'm not seeing any difference 24 h after the second feeding. Is this a slower yeast to grow? I'll feed it again tomorrow.

Did you guys have a similar experience?

My wlp 007 starter is ready, the yeast volume has increased dramatcally but the one for the high gravity yeast seems to be very slow. After the second feeding of the first starter i could see a large increase in yeast but i'm not seeing any difference 24 h after the second feeding. Is this a slower yeast to grow? I'll feed it again tomorrow.

Did you guys have a similar experience?

Sure did.. that high grav yeast is a slug... took me a couple days to even see any activity in it

That is what i was hoping to read. I don't plan on pitching iit until next thursday or friday so that gives me some time to feed it some more. I do have the krauzen, just no yeast at the bottom. . In the meantime it is brewing day! How long did guys wait until pitching it?

Well it is now in the fermentation bucket. 27 liters of it. My OG is low at 1084. . 19 below prediction. I used pre crushed grains so that might explain that.

I tasted the gravity sample and it didn't tasted as hoppy as i thought it would be despite the 20 oz of hops.

Can't wait to taste the finished product.

Well it is now in the fermentation bucket. 27 liters of it. My OG is low at 1084. . 19 below prediction. I used pre crushed grains so that might explain that.

I tasted the gravity sample and it didn't tasted as hoppy as i thought it would be despite the 20 oz of hops.

Can't wait to taste the finished product.

no worries, mine was low too, still ate up like 15 lbs of sugar

Wait. I'm reading this as you brewed 5 batches and kept pitching on the same cake without washing in between. Is that right? And that got you 15.5% BEFORE adding 099?

What was your OG? 007 got down to 1.005?Wow.
You read correctly. OG IIRC was around 1.090.

Checked the gravity tonight as the airlock activity was completely non existant. The Gravity was 1014 and the krauzen was gone. Fermentation was really active the first day. That huge starter paid off. Added the first dose of sugar today bringing the og to 1087.
I haven't pitched the wlp 99 starter, I need to feed it one more time. Should be pitching it on thursday.

Mxracer,

Thinking this through, you saw no negative results from 5 generations of trub building without washing?
I couldn't tell through those 5 batches, and they were all the same house pale ale that's pretty light in body & ibus as far as things go. I've kept that same practice going forward with that recipe (I brew it at least every month, it doesn't last) and I can't perceive any ill effects. There is about 3" of cake at the bottom by the end. I do whirlpool & filter the wort out of the kettle so there are very, very few non-yeast things in the primary.

I have a commercial adventure I'm involved with that is a 7 barrel system, I'm going to try it at that size and see what happens (won't have any results for a few months though).

Pitched the high gravity yeast yesterday. Checked the gravity this morning and it is down to 1006. I have now added 2 kilos of sugar or 4.4 Pounds. Abv is at 13.74% at the moment. Tasted a bit of the sample and the hops flavor are obviously really strong but the aroma is wonderful.

Back