Odd Co2 Tank Positioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
So I purchased a 7lb co2 tank.(much cheaper than other tanks) But due to its rounded bottom, I've been forced to brainstorm ways to stand it up. Do you think it'd be safe to just strap it to my keg(when full)? Any other ideas to keep my poor little regulator safe from falling tanks?

You could build a cheep wooden stand for it, basically a box just big enough that it can slide down into. Or you could maybe have it strapped to the wall of your refrigerator. I wouldn't strap it to the side of your keg, as that would be a pain to fill keg, and what would happen as the keg empties while pouring off the beer? I'm sure the lack of weight would then cause it to tip over.

If I had the tools Id totally build a box with a circular holes to slide it in but Im in an apartment =P
Also my keg and tank will be doing some traveling so strapping to the fridge is out. Man, I need to invest in a saw that can cut holes and leave it on my back porch lol
Good point on the emptying keg, I'd probably cry if I lost my shiny new regulator to the all too merciless gravity.

Bungeing to the keg will work until the keg is near empty. For travel you may want a smaller tank. I use 20 oz paintball tank that is great for travel and moving around the house.

Why would you need to cut a hole? If you have the ability to build a box, just not cut a hole, then build it only a foot high or so. Or maybe find something similar with a flat bottom that this thing can sit into and stand straight up, like possibly some sort of plastic container similar to a milk crate?

Yea, I see what your saying, the base of the box would have to be either really wide or attached to something really wide In my eyes (tank is 29" tall plus regulator) Where the box is drilled into a flat board. I was thinking I want the support of the tank to be near the center/top of the tank though. Like imagine having a circular hole in the center of a seat in a chair that you slide it into,something like that. I fear a milk carton would be too light/short

Go to your local Walmart and over to all of the Christmas clearance stuff... then buy a stand for a Christmas tree - should be deeply discounted now ;)

Insert tank into stand, then lightly tighten the bolts around it to secure.

Go to your local Walmart and over to all of the Christmas clearance stuff... then buy a stand for a Christmas tree - should be deeply discounted now ;)

Insert tank into stand, then lightly tighten the bolts around it to secure.

+1 good idea!

This sounds like your best option if you don't have the means of building something custom. The only problem I see is the base of it may be pretty wide and take up a lot of room.

Going back to the custom stand idea: As for the fear of how wide the base of the stand should be, I have a 15 lb tank in my kegerator with nothing supporting it but its own base. The bottom of the tank is a combination of round and flat, where it's mostly round, but the center of it is only around 4-5 inches in diameter. Even with the small flat base and a giant regulator/lines hanging off it, the tank still stays up fine on it's own. So I would imagine that a box (lets say as a random number, your tank is 8 inches in diameter) that a box made of 3/4 in. thick lumber about 1 foot high, with inside dimensions of 8 in x 8 in should be fine to support it.

Back