Too much for a newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkeeler

Reaction score
I've been fooling around making a wine from blueberry jam, and decided to try the real thing. As an all grain brewer, I never liked just adding water and yeast to an already made product. So, kits were around but I wanted to use fresh grapes. But of course, wrong time of year for that. But I found the next best thing, a supplier of frozen must (destemmed and crushed grapes). Now, they didn't have much left, just a few pails of Malbec from Washington. But they let me have 3 pails for the price of 2. But now I have a lot of crushed grapes.

One thing I was thinking of was to try and make a rose next to the red wine. I figure, if I thaw the musts out, then draw off 3 gal. of juice after 12-24 hours, then I would have rose juice. Then I could ferment that in one of my 5 gal. carboys and ferment the rest of the must as a red wine in my big bin. That would leave me with about 6 gal. after crushing which would fit perfectly in a 6 gal. carboy.

But, what would drawing off that juice do to the red wine? I'm already a little leery about making so much wine on a first attempt (that is a lot of bottles of bad wine). I'd hate to be making an astringent or tannic bomb because my press to free juice ratio is off (if there is even such a thing to worry about).

Any opinions or tips would be appreciated.

There is not enough difference between free-run juice and pressed juice to make a difference, it will all taste the same on our levels. I am sure that it is too late to try to extract the juice and get a rose out of it. When I helped a commercial winery make their rose, they crushed/destemmed the grapes and then pressed the grapes within the hour. The juice you have will probably have had enough time to extract too much color for a rose, however, a Malbec is a fine red wine. Your best bet would be to put all of the juice and the solids in a fermenter, and let it do it's thing. Then press the wine, then rack into a secondary and top your carboy. As a beer guy you may not use a secondary, in wine you sort of have to. Malbec isn't too tannic in comparison to some Cabernets, but you've got the raw goods, might as well make the wine and gift it if you don't like it.

Thanks Zwets. Staying with the KISS principle is probably the best thing, I agree. It is not too late as the crushed grapes are still frozen; but better to get one wine right than to screw up two ;-) A future project perhaps.

Back