24 IBU's at flameout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I'm working on a clone of a favorite of mine from a large microbrewery. I spoke with someone at the brewery and he was very helpful about hop additions and the whole process, but one thing he said I'm way confused about. The beer is an IPA with IBU's of 59. He said they get 15 IBU's first wort hopping with cascade, columbus is added at 48 min on a 70 min boil to get another 20 IBU (about .65oz according to beersmith) and then they add a "Bunch" of centennial at flameout to get the other 24 IBU. If I plug in anything into beersmith at 0 or flame out you get nothing, nadda for IBU's. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Another thing, they step mash, I'm not set up to do this yet. Their process is mash in at 60 C (140F) and hold at 63 c (145) for 15 min then bump to 73 c (163F) for the remaining 60 min mash. I'm not sure if they use mash out, don't remember hearing anything about that. Any ideas what an acceptable single infusion temp would be given this info?? BTW they use 2 row, amber munich and cara 50 for grains.

I do my Ipa's around 152f. As for the flameout hop additions I don't know what he's talking about. Afaik, they add no ibu's. Also 163 sounds way to high for a mash. Are you sure this cat worked at a brewery?

After flameout in most commercial breweries, the beer is whirpooled before being chilled. This means the flameout hops will be spinning around in ~200F water for 30-60min, adding plenty of IBUs to the beer.

Their mash schedule is allowing for a beta amylase rest before moving to the alpha amylase rest, so it should provide a fairly fermentable wort, I would mash in the low 150s if doing single infusion.

Rock on with your bad selves!! Now that you mention it he did mention the whirlpooling. I use a counterflow chiller and it takes about 15 min to get to 80 but I whirlpool to try and get as much of the trub out prior to starting the chiller so this should work. He gave me a ton of info and I was writing as fast as I could but I think I was able to extrapolate the flame out hops addition to around 1.5 oz. They do 145 barrel (4495 gallon??) and add 38.5 kg hops (1385 oz) at flame out so I think my math is correct. Working on this and work at the same time so my math could be way off. Mash at 154 sound good or should I go 152??

Rock on with your bad selves!! Now that you mention it he did mention the whirlpooling. I use a counterflow chiller and it takes about 15 min to get to 80 but I whirlpool to try and get as much of the trub out prior to starting the chiller so this should work. He gave me a ton of info and I was writing as fast as I could but I think I was able to extrapolate the flame out hops addition to around 1.5 oz. They do 145 barrel (4495 gallon??) and add 38.5 kg hops (1385 oz) at flame out so I think my math is correct. Working on this and work at the same time so my math could be way off. Mash at 154 sound good or should I go 152??

I like 152F for ipa's. At the end of 60 minutes you'll be around 149 to 150.

I agree with 152F, although I don't lose 3 degrees F in an hour. More like 1 or 2. I also mash for 75 minutes and do a mash-out for 10.

152 it is then, I only lose about 1 during an hour. Just so I'm clear since this is my 4th batch and I've had terrible, bad, and kinda bad efficiency on my 1st 3 batches (getting better, but not good yet) when you say mash out you mean raising the grain bed to 168ish for 10 min prior to sparging? I've been batch sparging with 168 water from directions in beersmith but I've realized this isn't going to bump my mash to 168, probably need 185ish water to get the bed up there correct??

Another thing, they step mash, I'm not set up to do this yet. Their process is mash in at 60 C (140F) and hold at 63 c (145) for 15 min then bump to 73 c (163F) for the remaining 60 min mash. I'm not sure if they use mash out, don't remember hearing anything about that. Any ideas what an acceptable single infusion temp would be given this info?? BTW they use 2 row, amber munich and cara 50 for grains.

Step mashing is quite easy to do, and your brew software should have a calculator to figure out how to do it. I did this in 2 min using the beer math software on my iPod. this is the way I brewed for a few years till I set up my current recirculating system. But I still do it this way from time to time.

assuming a 10lb grain bill and a 1.5qt/lb water to grist ratio, and a tun mass of 2.2lb

add 2.5 gallons @ 159 to get to a 140 strike temp
add 1qt (.25gallons) @212 to get to 145
add 1.25 gallons @ 211 to get to 163.

total mash volume 3.75 gallons.

I'd say go for it, if it's the way they do it.

152 it is then, I only lose about 1 during an hour. Just so I'm clear since this is my 4th batch and I've had terrible, bad, and kinda bad efficiency on my 1st 3 batches (getting better, but not good yet) when you say mash out you mean raising the grain bed to 168ish for 10 min prior to sparging? I've been batch sparging with 168 water from directions in beersmith but I've realized this isn't going to bump my mash to 168, probably need 185ish water to get the bed up there correct??

I don't do a mashout, I do a split batch sparge. I average 80%+. I heat my full sparge amount to 190F, then after draining the mash tun I pour about a quarter to a third in and stir it well. Check with thermometer and add water until you reach 168-170 tops! It will usually take almost half the water to hit your temp, then I set the rest aside until the second sparge. It will have cooled enough (170's) to where you can just dump the full amount in.

Back