Rosehip & mountain ash/rowan berry wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regicider

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm considering making a wine from rosehips and rowan berries (that's mountain ash to any americans out there). Does anybody have any experience with this kind of wine? I see Jack Keller has some recipes for rosehip wine and mountain ash wine on his excellent website, but I don't know if the fruits will mix...

I've never made either but (carboys/demi-john space permitting) i'm planning on a rose hip wine this year - I've found a decent source of them locally i can pick and apparently they're a great source of Vitamin C (that's what i'll tell SWMBO anyway when it's ready to drink;)).
I don't think it'll be a problem to mix them (I do it with blackberries/elderberries etc) but If you're unsure of the result maybe try two smaller batches separately and consider blending them?

That's probably a sound plan. But I like the concept of just mixing it all together in a bucket and leaving it. :)

It seems that the rosehips need longer to mature than the rowan berries. Any idea how this would affect a mix? (Not that I'm impatient in any way at all, you understand...)

Regicider said:
(Not that I'm impatient in any way at all, you understand...)
Ha ha! The best way would be to age it for two years - the Rowan Berry recipe says 'taste after a one year' - that implies to me that it'll taste better over time like the rosehip will.

Two years... It had better be good, seeing as I will be finishing my now freshly started masters' degree around that time!

Anyway, I'll be out harvesting berries after the first frost. (Or, me not being impatient in any way, I'll give them a blast of winter in my freezer. :) )

Thanks for the input, Caplan.

Back