Double Batch Size = Double Ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
I know this is probably a REALLY stupid n00b question and I should know better.
But, I wanted to make sure: If I wanted to double a batch size of an extract recipe, I can just double the ingredients, right?

Excellent. Thanks for the responses, everyone. I didn't know if there was anything special to consider re: hops utilization, sugar extraction, etc (for AG). Seemed like a no-brainer, but figured I'd ask rather than make a mistake on that much beer.

Excellent. Thanks for the responses, everyone. I didn't know if there was anything special to consider re: hops utilization, sugar extraction, etc (for AG). Seemed like a no-brainer, but figured I'd ask rather than make a mistake on that much beer.

As long as you are doubling everything. If you were trying to double the gravity (use 20lbs of grain instead of 10lbs in a 5 gallon batch), you would have to re-calculate some things.

If the OG of the wort is the same you'll get the same utilization and if the ratios are the same... you guessed it, same extraction.

When you see the comments that someone wants the same beer but stronger so they doubled the "sugar" in it... :eek:

Latest posts

Back