Help with Portable Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesfndr9

Reaction score
I have seen designs on how to make a portable keg out of a pump garden sprayer but I cant find a good design again. Has anyone made one or know the parts and steps needed?

not sure what garden hose thing you're talking about, but I picked up one of these.
http://brewersdiscount.com/item83952.ctlg

basically, force carb after chilling, from your larger CO2 cylinder.

then take this device, your picnic tap, and go. stick the keg on ice, and since it's pre-chilled, the little CO2 bulb just keeps pressure inside the keg for dispensing.

i do recall what you are talking about.

honestly, i was never a fan of that design. i mean, who really wants to drink a beer from what should be an insecticide sprayer?

with that said, you should be able to make one by modifying the sprayer tube, perhaps replacing it with tubing that you can connect a picnic tap to.

when using such a device, make sure you drink it that night, as when you pump it, you are forcing air into it for pressure, and that will oxidize the beer fairly quickly.

Are those things approved for potable use? May just be HDPE, but who knows what nasty plasticizers or dyes they use to make those things!

gnef said:
i do recall what you are talking about.

honestly, i was never a fan of that design. i mean, who really wants to drink a beer from what should be an insecticide sprayer?

with that said, you should be able to make one by modifying the sprayer tube, perhaps replacing it with tubing that you can connect a picnic tap to.

when using such a device, make sure you drink it that night, as when you pump it, you are forcing air into it for pressure, and that will oxidize the beer fairly quickly.

I have found that i can drill a hole and attach a tire valve for counter pressure for dispensing I was more in the dark when it come to the beer out line.

This puppy works great with those little CO2 cartridges.

Beer2Go-1.jpg

This is how much ice is left after more than 24 hours.

Beer2Go-3.jpg

Here's what you need to make it.

Beer2Go-PartsList.jpg

don't forget to add in the cost of the 2.5 or 3 gallon keg, ed. heh.

Sea said:
Are those things approved for potable use? May just be HDPE, but who knows what nasty plasticizers or dyes they use to make those things!

I am using polyethylene tubing for re-racking which is used for icemaker line and is obviously food grade. Polyethylene is what many, I am sure they are not all but many, are made out of so nasty plasticizers or dyes will not be a problem. I did end of finding this site....http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Gear/GSanders/CheapKegs.shtml
Some site shows you DIY carbonator caps.

So the keg would be pressurized with either corn sugar or with a large CO2 tank. Then a CO2 gun can be used for counter pressure. No pumping at all pumping would aerate and ruin it all. The pump would be tied off or locked to prevent pumping
In answer to a previous question I am interested in trying this because I am restricted with space and a kegerator is out of the question.

You can build the same thing cheaper using 3 liter soda bottles. Maybe I can describe it.

Tire fill valve in the cap, schrader valve removed. Then a short hose connected, then to a TEE. Attach your picnic tap to one end of the tee, then another tire fill valve on the remaining port on the tee for pressurizing. You could plumb in a connection for a co2 charger, but you have to be really carefull you don't overpressurize.

Would the tire valve carbonator caps on the 3 liter bottles alone work? Pressurize with large co2 tank and picnic tap for counter pressure dispensing. Would the tire valve connection double for both uses?

Nevermind I'm an idiot

Back