Nottingham v 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson29

Reaction score
Brewed ~2 gallons of a Strong Ale about a week ago and split it into 2 1 gallon jugs - I did this because I wanted to play around with yeast, dry hopping, and oak ageing. After just 1 week, take a look at both 1 gallon jugs (the one on the ground is Notty and the one on the table is 1056) - they look like totally different beers. Notty took off like crazy, then slowed and dropped out/cleared up. The 1056 is still going strong, but hasn't cleared yet. Just thought it interesting and wanted to share...

ForumRunner_20111207_094947.jpg

Is that cement floor colder than the room temp? That's the first thought that popped into my brain.

Good thought. Need to check gravity, but 1056 was a small slurry, and the Nottingham was roughly 1/3 of a packet. Should be close though per Mr. Malty - starting gravity of 1075.

I would have used closer to 1/2 packet fot the notty dry 1 gallon but i bet its still on target for 1 gallon.
Is 1056 nottingham liquid? I noticed there is a liquid nottingham.

The 1056 takes a while to flocc out even in finished beers and the yeast in suspension can reflect light and change the appearance of the beer. Just a thought.

jonmohno said:
I would have used closer to 1/2 packet fot the notty dry 1 gallon but i bet its still on target for 1 gallon.
Is 1056 nottingham liquid? I noticed there is a liquid nottingham.

1056 is Wyeast's American ale yeast...totally different. Thanks for the thoughts guys...not worried about it, just thought it interesting.

I'm going to have give Notty another try, I had some that I used on a stuck brew and I saved some of it on a slant that I was using as a test. I was cleaning out my fridge and thought I would see if it was viable 2 years later. It was and I grew it out and pitched it. That stuff was so aggressive it ate way more sugar than I was used to and it ended up drying out my beer more than I wanted. 1056 or 001 is my standard yeast so it is my favorite, clean profile and leaves the right amount of malt taste in my beers. I would put my money of 1056 making a beer to my taste, you can send me some I'll tell you want I think. :)

Clem

I did the same thing recently on a brown, but with US05 instead of 1056. I saw the same thing as the OP. Notty started faster, moved quicker, and was done sooner. To my palate, it was better at two weeks than the US05. Both batches had the same attenuation, from 1.052 to 1.010.

I drank the Notty batch first, and by the time it was done the US05 batch had come into its own. By now I think it would be hard to tell the two apart. Though I have one bottle of the Notty left which I intend to put side-by-side with the US05.

Now I'm doing it with IPA. Fermentation looked the same as the previous time, with Notty moving much faster. They're both sitting on dry hops right now. I will keg them both up this weekend and see if I like the Notty better. If I do, I might have a new favorite yeast.

Notty is done so fast I could probably have it kegged after a week, no problem. That appeals to me.

Notty has become one of my favorite yeasts to use. I've used it in my last 3 brews. They work like champs in there. I just wanna get in there and cheer the little guys on! lol

Stoked to get home and check the gravity of the notty...1056 still going strong.

Sorry, its been 9 days (looked at the brewlog this morning). I typically leave in primary 2-4 weeks depending on the beer, but am I okay to crash, then transfer? Im planning on secondarying this for a month (~40°), then oaking the last week. Sound like a decent plan?

If you are doing this just as an experiment I would like leaving the if off the Oak would allow the differences in flavor to be more dominate. When you transfer you could save a small amount to bottle a few just to see flavor difference.

Clem

Not doing it as a test batch for yeast comparison. Want to play around with oak, spices, bourbon, etc, so I can see what results it yields.

I say if taste is good then move it forward. Otherwise might need more time to clean up.

Notty has become one of my favorite yeasts to use. I've used it in my last 3 brews. They work like champs in there. I just wanna get in there and cheer the little guys on! lol

+1. Nottingham is like the mexican day laborers of yeast. Sometimes it can start slow, but it never stays that way, and it tends to finish up and clear ahead of estimated times. For example my Apfelwein was clear by week two, and it is completely done just shy of week 3.

I have a hard cider going right now with Nottingham. Signs were present within an hour, but airlock activity took 24 hours. At 36 hours I was getting one bubble every 40 seconds. At 48 hours I'm getting 4-6 bubbles per second.

My other batch is using Montratchet (spelling) and at 48 hours was 1-2 bubbles a minute.

I just kegged the IPAs. To me the US05 was better. It had more of that IPA edge I like. The softness of the Notty that was so good in the Brown was not good for the IPA. And I was surprised to find the US05 version clearer than the Notty. I did not cold crash this one, maybe that would have changed things. They both had the same attenuation - down to 1.005 from 1.051! A bit more than expected, but I guess I did mash pretty low.

My conclusion is to use Notty for dark beer and US05 for pale beer. Or Notty to emphasize maltiness and US05 to emphasize hoppiness.

Okay, here's an update:
Both finished out at 1012, ~84% attenuation. The Notty finished much faster than the 1056, but both were done within two weeks. Color ia very comparable, but since I just transferred the 1056 this morning, it probably needs to settle out a bit before I can really compare them. All in all, very happy with both.

So now that mine are both carbed and cold, I think the Notty is better than the US05 even for the IPA. I am very close to tossing the 05 in favor of Nottingham yeast for my everyday yeast. Nottingham just lacks harsh edges that in retrospect are not welcome in my beer, no matter the color or hop profile.

I use Notty for just about everything. Beer, wine, cider, etc. So.etimes you do need to go with a specific yeast, but Notty is the perfect all around, neutral, get it done no matter what yeast.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I use Notty for just about everything. Beer, wine, cider, etc. So.etimes you do need to go with a specific yeast, but Notty is the perfect all around, neutral, get it done no matter what yeast.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

When you do cider will it go completely dry or leave a little sweetness without crashing, sweetening, pasteurizing, etc.?

Back