List of beers with swing-top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
A google search and a search through this forum yielded nothing, so I figured I'd open it up to committee:

I'm interested in starting a collection of swing-top Grolsch-style bottles, however for those of us too cheap to buy empty bottles, and who strive to drink better beer than Grolsch, I was hoping we could start a definitive list of beers that come in swing-top bottles. It would be a good reference to have.

Cool, I just bought some Grolsh last week for the first time...just because of the bottles. There where two other beers I saw at the liquer store....but i don't remember what they where. Some other lager....eh. And another one with a swing top bottle that was a little larger size....but they where a little pricey. I'll pay more attention next time.

Kapsreiter Beer Landbier
The Kapsreiter Beer comes out of an old Austrian brewer family in the Upper Austrian province Innviertel. Since the setting up in 1590 the company tries to maintain a culture and way of life of brewing beer.

1 pint +0,9oz Swingtop is Ceramic $4.29 USD per bottle.

Tastes a lot like Grolsch but the bottles are brown and the tops are ceramic! Perhapse it is a bit better beer than grolsch but not much. That said, I enjoy both brews and don't mind drinking my way to having more swingtop bottles. I would never pay for a swingtop that did not already contain beer!

A google search and a search through this forum yielded nothing, so I figured I'd open it up to committee:

I'm interested in starting a collection of swing-top Grolsch-style bottles, however for those of us too cheap to buy empty bottles, and who strive to drink better beer than Grolsch, I was hoping we could start a definitive list of beers that come in swing-top bottles. It would be a good reference to have.

What beer lover doesn't like Grolsch?!?!

CanadianQuaffer said:
What beer lover doesn't like Grolsch?!?!

Me. Not a fan. My wife would rather be forced to drink a PBR, a Natty, then a Milwaukee's Best, than have to drink a Grolsch - and she's as big a beer snob as I am.

FWIW, there is a new vodka out that bottles with swing tops. It is called 360 Vodka, and they are in efforts to save the environment with reusable bottles, yadda, yadda. A 1.75 cost less than thirty dollars at the grocery store in my town, and the smaller liter bottles are around nineteen, methinks. I have been tempted to buy a couple of the 1.75s for bottling cider and mead. If you factor in the cost of a one liter swing top from your LHBS, it comes out to be like twenty four dollars for the vodka, plus the cool bottle.

My $.02.

I like this style alot. I've scavenged several of these from a local bar.

getfile.asp

Me. Not a fan. My wife would rather be forced to drink a PBR, a Natty, then a Milwaukee's Best, than have to drink a Grolsch - and she's as big a beer snob as I am.

I guess it all comes down to taste preference but, unlike those other beers you mentioned, I doubt you'd find a gram of rice in the grain bill of Grolsch.

All the brews from Howe Sound, brewed up here in Canada anyway:
howe-sound-pothole-filler.jpg

So it just comes capped with the swing top hanging? Granted, that bottle is awesome and perfect for homebrewers, but it seems like a waste of money for the brewery.

So it just comes capped with the swing top hanging? Granted, that bottle is awesome and perfect for homebrewers, but it seems like a waste of money for the brewery.

Yep, just like that. It's a big bottle at 1 L (2.11 pints), it's nice to reseal it. I am a bit wary of carbing to high volumes in that bottle though, I can't imagine it is terribly strong but I have used it up to 2.2 volumes of C02. Your mileage may vary.

360 vodka for the price, sucks in my opinion.........for a fraction of the cost you could make something 10 times better.......although unless you live in New Zealand, in most countries its illegal :mad:

Grolsch, 16oz, (I've recently sold over 200 of these now that I'm kegging)
Fischer, 22oz, ( I have over 50 of these I may part with some day now that I'm mostly kegging.)
Altenmunster, 16oz,
Klumbuster(sp?) 16oz,
Schwabenbrau 16oz, ( I have 10 HDPE Schwabenbrau cases of these I
may part with some day now that I'm mostly kegging.)
Bugelverschlub, 16oz, ( I have 8 HDPE Bugelverschlub cases of these I
may part with some day now that I'm mostly kegging.)

Come down to Portland and you get 22oz of great beer by Captured by Porches for $4.99. Their beer is quite yummy, too.

In a pinch there are those italian sparkling lemonade bottles... 1L Clear glass. They seem to work rather well, but at $3.99 / bottle it should be filled with microbrew.

In a pinch there are those italian sparkling lemonade bottles... 1L Clear glass. They seem to work rather well, but at $3.99 / bottle it should be filled with microbrew.

ees french, americain peeg dog!!:p well the stuff I've seen is!

Stuff's called Lorina - runs $5/bottle up here for a 750ml. Pretty tasty too - their blood orange soda is a neat experience. Wegman's carries them, I couldn't tell ya who else.

Anyway Grolsch usually runs about $2.50/375ml bottle, so it's not really any advantage either way.

FWIW, there is a new vodka out that bottles with swing tops. It is called 360 Vodka, and they are in efforts to save the environment with reusable bottles, yadda, yadda. A 1.75 cost less than thirty dollars at the grocery store in my town, and the smaller liter bottles are around nineteen, methinks. I have been tempted to buy a couple of the 1.75s for bottling cider and mead. If you factor in the cost of a one liter swing top from your LHBS, it comes out to be like twenty four dollars for the vodka, plus the cool bottle.

My $.02.

750ml's are 19.99 at my store and I drink them strictly for the bottles. The plain vodka is only so-so. They have a cola flavored one that I actually enjoy on the side when I'm drinking Sam Adams Cream Stout (my current fav). My stash of bottles is currently sitting at 4.

Hacker-Pschorr's beers are pretty much all swing tops.. if you plan on making the trip to
Munich any time soon (I'm fairly certain the imports are not swing tops). I found them so freaking convenient when I was there.

It wouldn't be cheap to accumulate a bunch of bottles, but the best beer I've found in swing tops is from BFM. Locally I think it's around $6 to $9 per 12 oz, but beats Grolsch by a whole hell of a lot.

Alex33_xs.jpg

Hoogstraten Poorter is great, but at thirteen bucks a bottle its hard to amass in vast quantities. The swing top bottle is coated in ceramic too, a fancy touch imo.

Flensburger Pils is a great German beer, not too expensive ($2.35 each) and a great little bottle available here in the states.

3648726155_04d23c2483.jpg

It was fun watching this thread completely blow up. I actually found a pretty good swing-top beer at my local fancy bottle shop. They are made by Veldensteiner and come in sturdy 500 mL brown bottles. I've tried the Landbier, which was kind of like a dunkel, but more roasty. I also got a Zwickl that I am interested in trying. At only $4 a bottle, it seems like a good choice.

Hirschbrau, Hacker-Pschorr (obviously not just in Germany anymore), both in 500ml bottles. And Muskoka Brewery in Canada does their seasonals in 750ml champagne-style bottles.

41893d1325215621-list-beers-swing-top-bottles-forumrunnerimage.jpg

This Hacker-Pschorr is a Weissbier (though their Helles, and probably other beers use the same bottle), and the bottle is pretty heavy duty, so theirs should be able to take over 4 volumes no problem. However, their caps are plastic, with an imperfection caused by the molding process on the bottom (pictured below), so I would probably buy better caps in order to ensure it can be kept sanitary.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Also, Christoffel makes nice 330ml swing-tops.

I went to the store just yesterday looking for swingtops. Only found one brand, unfortunately... Fischer, from France. It's a 1 pint, 6 oz bottle, clear, and cost about $4.

uerige alt has pretty cool looking bottles (but they're stamped) and bayerischer bahnhof (sp?) has those awesome gose bottles that would make a good war club in a bar fight (though those are enameled)...

This was very good although I don't think they use swing tops any more, you could search the net for them
3942375599_3608a3d6a7_b.jpg

This beer was over 10 years old and was capped with the swingtop hanging.

By the way, I heard somewhere that grolsch has the patent on the swing top type cap, can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Here is Fiedlers site
http://www.brauerei-fiedler.de/
I see no swingtops, but I can't speak the language (Caution: You must be at least 16 to enter the site)

Back