Turning on the WATER SOFTENER...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRiverBrewer

Reaction score
I've been brewing some great beer; I'm on a well at my house (not city water). I have a water softener and it's been turned off during these years of primo beers, but I'm planning on turning it back on. The water's been tested and it's not too hard and iron's not real bad (22 grains / .75 iron). The conditioner's functioning well, and ready to go.

SO - do I brew in the future using the conditioned water, or do I get the plumber's pants on and plant a crack :D and plumb a line for drawing well/unconditioned water for the future?? The plumbing isn't a problem.... Done plenty of it - just not sure if I should bother...

Don't you have a line for the garden hose that is in before the water softener? If not, I would not screw with a known good source. So ya, plumb in a valve.

The other option is to make a small test batch with the treated water, declare it bad, get a RO machine and build your own water.

From what I have read, softened water is less than ideal. Very high in sodium ions. I'd use a saddle valve and tap into your cold water line.

With a saddle valve, no cutting it soldering is necessary.

There should be 3 shutoff valves on the softener. 1 on the pipe running into the softener. 1 coming out oft the softener. And 1 between those 2. You can shut off the inlet valve and the outlet valve. Leave the main open and you will be running straight well water. Just remember when your done to open the 2 on the softener. and close the main that is in between them.

I wouldn't worrrie about it. water chem is more for the conasures of beer. so if you got none your good.

Back