Cold crashing/dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnie7781

Reaction score
I have a red ale that's been fermenting for 3 days. I usually add dry hops to the primary around day 5 or 6. Generally, I like to ferment my beers for a total of 24-28 days in the primary before kegging. I'm not opposed to secondary fermentation, which might be the answer to my question, but I'd prefer not to.

Could someone give me suggestions for a time line to dry hop, then cold crash? I've been reading not to leave dry hops in the primary for more than a couple weeks.

So...

If I dry hop @ day six, then allow the beer to sit for another 2 weeks, that's 20 days of primary fermentation. I guess that would be fine, but I don't mind waiting another week provided I don't get a vegetable taste from the dry hops.

Assuming I leave the beer in the primary fermenter for 20 days total (with dry hops), should I cold crash in the primary, or rack to a secondary? I plan on cold crashing in either vessel at 34 degrees for 2 to 3 days before kegging.

Suggestions welcome.

I generally prefer to go a bit longer in the primary, particularly when dryhopping, so that the hop flavors have less time to fade out. I'd probably go with 14 days primary, rack to secondary with dryhops, secondary for 4-7 days, then crash in the secondary.

Alternatively, you could just primary for the full period (21-28 days), crash, and then dryhop in the keg. I know plenty of folks go with that strategy, though I've never tried it myself.

I dry hop usually no more than 5-6 days. 20 is really over doing it and you might start to get some 'grassy' flavors. I ferment in the primary and leave it for 3 weeks. Than I rack to a secondary and dry hop. After the 5-6 days I'll crash cool the carboy. Many on here just dryhop in the primary and then crash cool.

Primary as long as you like, cold crash, keg and put dry hops in a bag in the keg. This is what I do and it works great. Only problem is that the hops in the bag can swell and be tough to get out of the small hole in the keg. Easier than getting them out of a carboy, though.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, cold crash for 2-3 days, keg with bagged dry hops. I've never done it that way. I just hate fooling with a secondary unless I know I don't have a keg available and I need the beer off the yeast. I assume pellets are ok? Does a muslin bag do the trick? Thanks again.

I use a stainless tea ball with some unflavored dental floss tied to it. That allows the lid to seal, and you can remove it whenever you want. Double the length and fold and twist it, very strong.

-

I use a stainless tea ball with some unflavored dental floss tied to it. That allows the lid to seal, and you can remove it whenever you want. Double the length and fold and twist it, very strong.

-

You forgot to specify "unused" floss! :)

I've never - ever had any grassy or off flavors from long time dry hop contact. I've left hops in the serving keg for 6 months without issue. If your hops are good they usually stay that way.

I don't like to dry hop in the primary because we know that hop oils stick to yeast - I want that stuff in my beer, not in my yeast cake! So it's secondaries or kegs for me, depending on what type of hops I have.

Back