Falconer's Flight 1.00/oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
We finally got our Falconer's Flight in stock and on the site. Come check them, out.

We will use them as out next hop in our Farmhouse Pal Ale Project:

We will post our recipe soon.

Cheers,

John

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

It is with great pleasure that Hopunion LLC announces the release of Falconer’s Flight™, an exclusive proprietary hop blend created to honor and support the legacy of Northwest brewing legend, Glen Hay Falconer.... This novel proprietary pellet blend is comprised of many of the Northwest’s most unique hop varieties and is perfect for any Northwest-style IPA. Each hop has been hand selected for its superior aromatic qualities, imparting distinct tropical, citrus, floral, lemon and grapefruit tones.

They smell awesome, I'm gonna brew with them this weekend!

They smell awesome, I'm gonna brew with them this weekend!

Damnit... I have a freaking plastic bucket full of hops, almost entirely from YOU, and now I'm probably going to buy more.

Might as well go pick 3 other varieties I've never tried and get myself a "never-had-that-one" pound.

Anyone know what these taste or smell like? I've never used this variety before.

Walker - I picked up a few ounces of these not too long ago - will be brewing with them in the next few weeks - you're welcome to come by and sample them! :mug:

RyanJ

You do not have to use paypal. When you are redirected to paypal, there is a pay with credit card option in the middle of the screen.

My underatanding is that it is a blend of several other hops rather than an actual strain in and of itself.

From probrewer:
"Hopunion LLC Falconer's Flight™ is a proprietary pellet blend comprised of many of the Northwest's most premier hop varieties including the highly acclaimed Citra™, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties."

Had to postpone the brew, hope to get to it soon. I'll check in once I do brew with them, good luck Sunday should be a good game!

John

Any preliminary reviews on taste, aroma, etc?

I tried a friend's IPA hopped exclusively with them. It's some potent stuff. I got a lot of citrus with some resin in there too. I'm pretty sure its the proprietary hop in SN's Hoptimum

Any preliminary reviews on taste, aroma, etc?

I get a really nice grapefruit bitterness on the back of the palate with a citrusy taste and floral/citrus aroma.

I restrained myself, keeping the IBUs around the 56 mark. This smelled and tasted good though the entire process. Dry hopping kicked the aroma up real nice. I'd even consider doing a 1oz dry hop next time instead of the .5oz I did. The aroma is really nice and defiantly provides what you'd expect from an IPA.

Not sure if there is a better place to write this, if so just let me know...

You guys rock... I got my shipment notification within minutes of ordering and got my hops faster than any other company I have ordered from. I'll be back for sure.

my brew that I did with these hops is finally out and drinking great!

Used nothing but this hop in a american red ale (that of course I made 8%). 148 IBU calculated with the Tinseth method, all distributed fairly evenly across the boil. No dry hop.

Aroma is of Pineapple and indistinguishable tropical fruits- it's interesting and delicious smelling, but like nothing I've ever smelled before. Tropical is the best way to describe the aroma. Simply great!

Taste is pineapple and grapefruit- it's not bad, and totally fitting for any beer where you'd use american hops. It's pretty obvious there's a high myrcene content in these hops. Very good in this regard.

Bittering is a little abrasive, but still appropriate for most of the styles of beer you'd use this hop in. This would be the only place I don't think I'd use these hops again- I'd rather go for some CTZ or Apollo in their place, then use the Falconer's Flight in the later additions after ~30m.

wish i saw this post before i ordered 4lbs of hops from you. Oh well i will pick these up when you have simcoe back in stock.

I just picked up an OZ of these for a 2.5 gallon simple pale, I believe it's a blend of amarillo, simcoe, maybe cascade, others. Has anyone tried a finished product with these?

would love some thoughts on a boil schedule, I was going to just do 1/2 OZ at 60 min and another 1/2 oz at 10 min

I just picked up an OZ of these for a 2.5 gallon simple pale, I believe it's a blend of amarillo, simcoe, maybe cascade, others. Has anyone tried a finished product with these?

would love some thoughts on a boil schedule, I was going to just do 1/2 OZ at 60 min and another 1/2 oz at 10 min
if you can, use some other hop for the 60 minute bitterness and save the oz of falconers for flavor and aroma. doesn't really matter what you bitter with, IMO, so might as well save the flavorful falconers for a use that lets them shine.

I like cascade as a general purpose hop since its so readily available, plus there's no reason to waste falconers on bittering since you don't get flavor or aroma from it. My recipe should scale really well to yours since I use 2 oz in the boil for 5 gallons. Since u only have an ounce of falconers try dry hopping with cascades.

Back