Warrior for dry hopping & FWH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience in dry hopping with Warrior? I was throwing a recipe for an IPA together today using Warrior, Cascade, & Citra. Particularly excited about the citra as I've never used it, but love it in the commercial beers I've tried. anyway hop schedule is:

20g Warrior FWH
30g Citra @ 15min
30g Cascade @ 5min
30g Cascade@ 1min
50g each of Warrior & Citra Dry Hop.

What do you think? Given it's high alpha do you think it would be better to go with something else for dry hopping & FWH?

Cheers

We were considering doing that for our Imperial IPA we brewed a few weeks back. All the research I did we found that Warrior really was best as a bittering hop only. Not to say you can't utilize in dry hopping but I'd personally would stick to the citra hops only. The IPA we did we added warrior at 60 mins. Def has a nice bitter flavor to end but I have yet to keg it.

Well actually I just was searching at apparently Dogfish Head 90min IPA utilizes Warrior in a dry hop for 3-5 days. I bet it wouldn't hurt trying since we are all in the search for perfect brew!

Fair point too IrlandeseBrewing, I'm just not sure at the moment. The cascade & Citra might be a nice marriage for the dry hopping, but having said that theres enough cascade going in for the last 5 minutes

It Can't hurt to try, you just might love it. FWIW, Sierra Nevada uses Magnum & Citra to DH their Torpedo IPA. Magnum tends to fall into that Bittering only category. I think it works well in that situation. But I would consider cutting it half, maybe do 25g of Warrior & 50 g of Cascade.

Troeg's Nugget Nectar uses warrior as one of the dry hop varieties. No reason you can't dry hop with them.

I suppose I am going to go ahead with the warrior/Citra dry hop. Mainly because I'm interested to see how it turns out, but also because I'd rather use as much as the warrior as I can, as they wouldn't be suitable for the brews I have planned after this IPA, and I'd probably end up throwing them in the freezer and never using them. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input!

How dud this turn out? I have a bunch of Warrior and was wondering if I should fwh with it or just go straight 60 because it's a clean bitter...

i'm thinking i'm gonna try this:
7lbs light LME
1lb crystal 20
1oz warrior @ 60min
.5oz warrior @ 15 min
1oz citra @ 15min
1oz citra @ 5min
.5oz warrior dry hop
1oz citra dry hop
4oz american oak chips
US-05 yeast

Warrior is a low cohumulone, high alpha, moderate myrcene %, low total oil content American hop. Translation: It's great for smooth bittering, but not so much flavor/aroma. It's composed of faint citrus and grass. Maybe a tad more aromatic than Magnum, but still very mild. Every hop has a purpose... and in my opinion/experience, Warrior should be used for bittering, not aroma. Hops like Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus, etc. are much more aromatic by far.

FWH is not necessary, but it's not wrong either. Your choice to FWH with 1.5 oz. Warrior or to simply bitter with 0.75 oz. Warrior. But any gains you see in "smoother bitterness" from the FWH is inconsequential when compared to a traditional bitter, especially for an AIPA, because: 1) you are using less of it at half the amount, 2) Warrior is already an excellent low cohumulone smooth bittering hop, and 3) hopbursting and dryhop additions with more aromatic American hops will help to round out much of the early kettle addition bitterness to create a sense of hop juicy-ness and smoothness.

So with a traditional bitter, you can still have smooth hop bitterness with very high aroma and flavor. If you're a fanboy of FWH, but want to use less early kettle additions and still achieve the same level of smooth bitterness, then you just have to get into the habit of using 95% of your hops late and significantly cutting down on the amount of your typical high-alpha bittering addition at 60. I've also found that supplementing a small amount at 30, or midway through the boil, can also help to round out the bitterness. That is another technique you might want to look into if you wish which will still allow you to use less hops early on.

Back