Formula to determine how much DME to add when pre-boil gravity is missed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
So I brewed a partial mash a few weeks ago and ran into a problem when I took the pre-boil gravity. I chilled the sample down to 70F and got 1.042. BeerSmith gave me a preboil gravity of 1.064. My target OG was 1.073. I wasn't sure how to figure out how much DME to add to bring up my gravity so I just added 2 lbs. I ended up obtaining an OG of 1.070. My preboil volume was 6 gallons and my post-boil was 5 gallons.

So my question is what formula do I use to determine how much DME to add so that I reach my target OG?

Thanks for any help. I plan on going all grain for my next batch and wanted to figure this out in case my efficiency is lower than expected.

Extract needed in lbs = (Total gravity(target) - Total gravity(from mash))/45 for DME, or 38 for Liquid extract

Total gravity is the volume of wort X gravity units of wort.

1.042 specific gravity = 42 gravity units

so from your example it would be

Total gravity(target) = 6gal (pre boil volume) x 64 (target pre boil gravity units) = 384
Total gravity (from mash) = 6 (pre boil volume) x 42 (actual pre boil gravity units) = 252

SO your equations with number is

(384 -252)/45 = 2.93 lbs of DME

Awesome, thanks for the help. I"ll make sure to note this down or create a quick web app to compute it for me.

The way I do it is to tweak my efficiency in Beersmith to match the actual pre-boil gravity, then add DME to my recipe until the right post-boil gravity is achieved, since pre-boil gravity is kind of a pain to see.

If I am doing a partial mash and know what gravity my wort should be before adding extract and topping off, can I run these same calculations? I figure this way I wouldn't have to worry about trying to make sure that the water is mixed well with my wort and possibly throwing off the hydro reading.

Back