What to do when you Oxiclean too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeH

Reaction score
I bought a spare keg a couple months ago and was prepping it to use it. So I put some Oxiclean in it. And forgot about it.

This week I opened it up and poured out the water in it, only to find a rough surface inside. Apparently the Oxiclean started forming crystal stalactites, and they wouldn't dissolve in clean water.

I was worried that I had ruined the keg, but after doing some reading I added 2 cups of vinegar to 5 gallons water and in the morning the keg was like new!

So the bottom line is, don't leave Oxiclean in stuff for 2 months or you'll start to get crystal formations. And if you do: vinegar and water will clean that right up.

Pretty common.

To get rid of the "scale," the residue from oxyclean, you use a weak acid solution, Starsan works great, but you can also use a dillution of either vinegar or lemon juice in water.

When I am processing my bottles I fill one sink with whatever weak acid I use, soak my bottles inside and out with them for a couple minutes and re-rinse.

If you use starsan in this way, it DOESN"T COUNT as a sanitization step....at tleast I don't think of it that way, I still sanitize them on bottling day.

If you use starsan in this way, it DOESN"T COUNT as a sanitization step....at tleast I don't think of it that way, I still sanitize them on bottling day.

That's a good idea in general (not to hijack the thread or anything). If the starsan dries, I don't consider it sanitized anymore and will spray them down right before use. It's only sanitized as long as it's wet.

With our extremely hard well water, Oxi-Clean is guaranteed to leave a film on bottles or etc. if left to soak for longer than 20 minutes or so. The alternatives are to buy RO water and use that, or just employ a different product. I use PBW, which contains ingredients that prevent this from happening. As has been mentioned, if you get such a film, just use white vinegar.

I used to get the scale when using Oxiclean because I was filling the bucket with hard water directly from my outside faucet. The vinegar & water trick worked well back then.

I now fill the oxiclean bucket inside where the water has gone through the water softener and I do not get the scale residue anymore.

Thanks for the tip! I had 2 carboys I thought were ruined. I thouht I would never get the crystalized oxyclean out. Gonna try this out tomorrow! What is the science behind the vinegar takin care of it?

Thanks for the tip! I had 2 carboys I thought were ruined. I thouht I would never get the crystalized oxyclean out. Gonna try this out tomorrow! What is the science behind the vinegar takin care of it?

Vinegar is acetic acid. The mineral deposits are soluble in acid so they dissolve.

That's a good idea in general (not to hijack the thread or anything). If the starsan dries, I don't consider it sanitized anymore and will spray them down right before use. It's only sanitized as long as it's wet.

the small amount of residue starsan leaves behind when the water evaporates from the mix will continue to kill bacteria. i wouldnt rinse a container with starsan, let it dry and leave it open for a long time.

but when i clean a carboy, rinse it with starsan and store it upside down, i do consider the inside sanitary even after it dries as long as nothing has touched the surface. if it were a bucket and it was left rightside up with the top open, i would re-sanitize to get the dust and whatever probably settled on it out.

Back