3-4 day ferm???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This one threw me for a loop-my current Xmas brew (recipe available here) has apparently slowed down beyond what I expected it to at only 3 days...

Carboy'd last Thursday, OG only .03 above expected, ambient & wort temps sitting at about 74F each respectfully. I admit that the flurry of activity during the first 2 days was something to behold (even with absolutely no krausen and the batch seeming to try and carbonate itself at times!), but a little over 3 days now and there's almost nil for activity?

:confused:

Edit-I also haven't taken a FG reading yet...

No worries, completely normal. Let it sit for another two or three weeks in primary or another week in primary and two in secondary. Everything will be fine.

You could check the FG and see how close it is to the estimate. The vigorous ferment is over but the yeast are still in there chowing, I usually wait at least two weeks before taking the first reading

At 74°, the yeast were extremely active. I must say, though, a fermentation temperature of 74° is likely to result in some unpleasant off-flavors including excessive esters and fusels.

Back