First Mead Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
Hello, I just made a mead sunday, a 5 gallon batch, the og was 1.100, my question is, is th og too high for a mead? I pitched champagne yeast, as that is what the recipe called for, any tips or suggestions would be welcome, since this is my first attempt at a mead, thanks.:mug:

1.100 is pretty big, but cahmpagne yeast is made for that.

it'll probably ferment down below 0.999 as a final gravity, and will likely be dry. i'm more of a sweet mead drinker myself, same for wine.

if you ddin't use yeast nutrient and energizer, I'd add some now. just boil a little water, like a cup at most, mix in the two, then pour into the fermenter and gently stir it.

yeast needs nitrogen and honey is void of nitrogen, thus the energizer provides it. keeps ferementation healthy.

it might take a month to reach final gravity.

1.100 is pretty big, but cahmpagne yeast is made for that.

it'll probably ferment down below 0.999 as a final gravity, and will likely be dry. i'm more of a sweet mead drinker myself, same for wine.

if you ddin't use yeast nutrient and energizer, I'd add some now. just boil a little water, like a cup at most, mix in the two, then pour into the fermenter and gently stir it.

yeast needs nitrogen and honey is void of nitrogen, thus the energizer provides it. keeps ferementation healthy.

it might take a month to reach final gravity.
Yes I did add energizer and nutrient, do you all usually sweeten it back up after fermentation, or drink it dry, I know the champagne yeast will likely leave it bone dry, as I have made muscadine wine with it before, thanks for the replies:mug:

My meads start out anywhere from 1.100 to 1.130, depending on the style and finish that I'm trying to achieve. No worries about 1.100; with virtually any active dry wine yeast you choose can make it go dry -- just manage the nutrients and aerate early on in primary, and you'll be fine.

Back