Corking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilsner Pete

Reaction score
My first real wine will be ready to bottle in a couple of weeks. I have my new corker and am doing a practice bottle or two. I'm using 9 x 1 1/2" Nomacorks and a double lever corker with regular 750 ml bottles.

The problem so far is that the cork doesn't completely enter the bottle. About 1/4 inch is sticking up and there's a major round indentation from the corker metal plunger. I was thinking about putting a nickel between the plunger and the cork to prevent the indent and get a longer travel...but before I do something to hurt the new corker (and donate a nickel to the top of every bottle), I thought I would ask for suggestions.

Thoughts? Thanks. :confused:

I've made a mess of my last corking job, but if I had it to do over I'd do exactly what you suggest. Only, I'd use a dime instead of a nickel and then change to adjustment on the corker so the cork goes in further. There is an adjustment on the corker that you can play with while you're practicing to get it right.

Lorena

Thanks. This is the one I have:

20ubspj.jpg

It looks like maybe the adjustment is the two screws at the top? If I make them go up, it looks like it's longer until the screw hits and the plunger is going down more. The opening for the cork is plastic and unscrews but that's probably just its assembly. I will practice some more...but there were only 30 corks in the bag to start with! Better practice vs lousing up the whole batch.

You've listed a lot of wine...does corking ever get easier?

You're right- the adjustment is the two screws on the top.

I've heard that corking is much easier with a floor corker, but I don't make that much wine to justify that expense ($60 or so). I have a friend who just syphons into gallon jugs to avoid corking! I soaked the corks briefly in campden solution to sanitize and I think that made it a bit easier.

My LHBS told me to use #8 corks next time to make it easier but I was concerned that I wouldn't get the right seal. So, I'm just plugging along with a corker like yours. I'm guessing that it'll be easier as time goes on.

How much air space is there between the cork and the wine? I've noticed before that if there isn't enough air then the cork wont go all the way in.

something ive done in the past and it seems to work,use a thin length of fishing line or nylon down the inside of the neck of the bottle insert the cork as far as it will go then withdraw the string/line this creates a small channel for air to escape as you drive the cork the rest of the way home,the cork soon expands to fill the small channel left by the string

Im not going to lie, i did this by hand. I'll tell you when my bottles explode. :) .

try soaking the corks in warm water and sanitizer then they should go in real easy let the bottels stand up-right for afew days 3 or 4 to let gas escape or
corks may push out a littel then turn on side they shuold be fine then

Back