Planning Batch #5: Imperial Stout pitched on WYEAST 1084 Irish Ale Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
The imperial stout recipe is a clone from the Clone Brew recipe book I just used for my Sam Smith Winter Welcome. I forget the exact name of the imperial stout...but I know it uses about 10.25lbs DME & the same wyeast 1084 yeast strain....& it packs a walloping 11.5% ABV. If I got this thing going (assuming it doesn't sound like a bad idea to any of the pro's on the board) in a couple weeks....is it possible to be drinking it by Feb 1st? I want this thing to be ready for some cold nights in the middle of winter.

Not that airlocks can be trusted....but mine has been going crazy for the past 3 days on my current brew....so I have faith in my current yeast/sanitized fermenter.

Also a couple general questions about stouts/yeast cake:
1) Would you ever want to secondary a stout?...I would think it could just age in the bottles...seeing that its so dark...what good would clearing it do in a secondary?

2)Instead of "racking" onto a yeast cake ( I use a 6.5 bucket)...can I just do my usual wort dump...5 gal water top off ....& aerate by stirring w/ sanitized spoon?

3 hours w/o any replies may give new meaning to "There is no such thing as a dumb question"

I have an Imperial Stout in the primary right now. I do plan on moving to secondary and adding oak chips soaked in Whiskey. I would transfer it f you were interested in having less yeast in your bottles. Good luck!

Back