Fermentation and temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
When some one says they want to ferment at a certain temperature - is there a critical time for the temp to be controlled?

Do esters get developed during the violent fermentation or the resting period or some other time?

The majority of esters, phenols and fusel alcohols are produced very early in the fermentation process when it is most active. Ideally, you would want fermentation control throughout the entire three week process but if you can only manage it during the most active period for space reason or whatever, that's okay. Your beer will still be fine so long as your uncontrolled temps and conditions aren't too wild.

I like to pitch cool and maintain temps in the optimum range for the first five days. After that I let the fermenter ride it out at room temp so I can put the next batch into my fermentation chiller. Temps are most important during the lag phase and first 48 hours of active fermentation since that is the period where esters are produced and yeast bud (multiply).

Thanks - I'm watching the temp lower in teh basement and thinking of what beers I should think about in the dead of winter. Not set up for lagers.

Back