Priming Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcott

Reaction score
I was bottling my first all grain batch today, and I just realized that I mixed in the amount of priming sugar assuming it was a 5 gal batch. Unfortunately, based on my poor efficiency and racking loss, I actually only had about 3.25 gal of beer. I used 5oz corn sugar to prime.

Will this result in bottle bombs, or will it just be overly carbed?

Or will it be alright?

Hopefully it will be, since it tasted really damn good (for a warm, flat beer).

I plugged it into beersmith assuming the beer was at 70F. I'm not sure how much carbonation a bottle can take, but you should expect about 3.7 volumes of CO2. If the bottle can withstand the pressure, you are going to be very carbed.

I'm thinking you have pretty good potential for bottle bombs. I would let them "carb" at room temp for a couple of weeks and then put all them bad boys in the fridge to slow things down.

Loop

Yeah that's a lot of co2! You may want to recap after a few days just incase.

Yeah that's a lot of co2! You may want to recap after a few days just incase.

When recapping, be sure to wear goggles and chainmail!

Seriously though, I think you definitely have the potential for exploding bottles. I'd carb for 1 week, then vent the caps and re-cap.

Latest posts

Back