Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never saw one that bad either. Maybe capper not sealing them tight enough? Did you smell malt while they were carbing & conditioning?

Never saw one that bad either. Maybe capper not sealing them tight enough? Did you smell malt while they were carbing & conditioning?

the capper is sealing good. I tilted some bottles and there are no leaks. When I bottled I tasted it and it didn't taste bad. Tonight I was going to do a Citra IPA and when I got the fermentation bucket out I noticed it had a smell of vinegar. I cleaned it last week with a good dose of Star San after bottling these. I wonder if I had an infection that I didn't detect. Beer looked good going into the bottles though so I'm stumped.

I think I figured out what happened. On brew day I could only get down to about 80 degrees with my plate chiller and it took me about 3 hrs to get from 80 to 70 in my conical and I pretty much preselected perfectly for a lacto contamination. Next time I am rigging up a prechiller. I also transferred some of my base batch onto the batch with fruit to even them out a little. Either way, I think both batches will be tasty and I am going to the mother of all cleaning sessions once I am done with these batches and dedicate all the valves, gaskets, and hoses to sours just in case!

Hey, if you're going to pick up a lacto contamination, you couldn't have picked a better style to have it happen! Roll with it!

the capper is sealing good. I tilted some bottles and there are no leaks. When I bottled I tasted it and it didn't taste bad. Tonight I was going to do a Citra IPA and when I got the fermentation bucket out I noticed it had a smell of vinegar. I cleaned it last week with a good dose of Star San after bottling these. I wonder if I had an infection that I didn't detect. Beer looked good going into the bottles though so I'm stumped.

That looks very aggressive. Have you ever cleaned that bottling bucket spigot, I mean the two 3/4" inch barrels of the main body that rotate within each other, not just the one with the handle. Those 2 barrels come apart after soaking in hot water. Then there are threads, the rubber seal, the nut. A real bug trap. I'd leave an inch or 2 of Starsan in that bucket when stored away, with a lid on it (not snapped).

Starsan is not a cleaner. PBW is.

You can't really "clean it" with Starsan. It's a sanitizer. Soak it in PBW or the like to clean it. Spigots too. I also use aquarium lift tube cleaning brushes to clean spigots & parts. Rinse well, then sanitize.

That looks very aggressive. Have you ever cleaned that bottling bucket spigot, I mean the two 3/4" inch barrels of the main body that rotate within each other, not just the one with the handle. Those 2 barrels come apart after soaking in hot water. Then there are threads, the rubber seal, the nut. A real bug trap. I'd leave an inch or 2 of Starsan in that bucket when stored away, with a lid on it (not snapped).

Starsan is not a cleaner. PBW is.

I have been cleaning everything with PBW but after that I wipe down with Star San. But I haven't taken the spigot totally apart like you suggest. I'll bet that's where the little critters were hiding.

Looks like I'll be opening and dumping 5 gallons of bottled beer. Might just buy a new bucket, spigot, bottle filler, and hose to be on the safe side.

I have been cleaning everything with PBW but after that I wipe down with Star San. But I haven't taken the spigot totally apart like you suggest. I'll bet that's where the little critters were hiding.

Looks like I'll be opening and dumping 5 gallons of bottled beer. Might just buy a new bucket, spigot, bottle filler, and hose to be on the safe side.

Don't buy anything new. Just clean what you've already got and you'll be fine. Bleach it if you're really paranoid, but a good cleaning will suffice.

If the bucket isn't scratched just a good cleaning with or without bleach and a proper rinse and Starsan should suffice. It is very important to remove the spigot each time and disassemble it to clean it properly. Leave it in a little container (e.g., cottage cheese tub) with Starsan. Just don't forget to put it back in the bucket before you fill it up! :D

I would buy another spigot and toy with the old one to learn how it comes apart (hot water soak!) and clean it. It can be boiled in PBW.

The bottle filler tippy also comes apart. Don't lose that little spring, which has a true bottom side, where the end of the spring wire goes across to push the plunger. Palmer has a good chapter on sanitation and cleaning regiments. Everything should be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly, then sanitized and reassembled wet.

Depending on how you wipe the bucket with a rag soaked in Starsan, make sure the sides stay wet for at least 30 seconds. Don't store, weight, or mill grains where you brew or store fermentors. The grain is covered in lacto, and the dust spreads it.

Get new racking tubing for all security, and clean that racking cane or siphon well while at it.

How does the beer taste? A slight sourness may not be bad at all. Some of us crave that :drunk:

I have been cleaning everything with PBW but after that I wipe down with Star San. [...]

I just caught this.
Make sure you rinse the PBW off with clean water before you "wipe down" with Starsan. Starsan only works while it's acidic.

PBW's strong alkalinity kills Starsan's joy.

Starsan in a spray bottle works like a charm, but some things are better dunked and soaked (hoses etc.).

I just caught this.
Make sure you rinse the PBW off with clean water before you "wipe down" with Starsan. Starsan only works while it's acidic.

PBW's strong alkalinity kills Starsan's joy.

Starsan in a spray bottle works like a charm, but some things are better dunked and soaked (hoses etc.).

Thanks for all of your input. I think I need to do a better job of cleaning, especially the spigot! I didn't know it came apart. I bought a spray bottle for my Star San over the weekend and will pick up a new spigot and hose. I have been taking the bottle filler apart. I almost lost the spring on a few occasions.

I haven't tasted the beer in the bottle yet, it's only been carbing for 8 days now. I'll open one tonight and see how it tastes. If it's not too bad maybe I'll just have to drink it fast. Plus, I've never tried a sour so maybe I'll like it .

looked fine when I bottled my Kolsch last Monday, now I have this in all of the bottles

Looks like you got an infection in the bottle. The bottle wasnt sanitized properly what it looks like. Keep an eye on the carbonation so you wont have any bottle bombs

All his bottles seem to have this problem. Unless all those bottles weren't cleaned and sanitized properly, it could be a little higher up in the chain. Rinsing alone is not enough. Some PBW or washing soda using hot water and a bottle brush is cleaning. Then rinse (jet washer) and liberal use of Starsan should get those bottles ready for use. And Starsan right before bottling. Dust getting inside of bottles during storage will taint them again.

So review your bottling process and see where the infection could have crept in.

+1 on the bottle bombs.

All his bottles seem to have this problem. Unless all those bottles weren't cleaned and sanitized properly, it could be a little higher up in the chain. Rinsing alone is not enough. Some PBW or washing soda using hot water and a bottle brush is cleaning. Then rinse (jet washer) and liberal use of Starsan should get those bottles ready for use. And Starsan right before bottling. Dust getting inside of bottles during storage will taint them again.

So review your bottling process and see where the infection could have crept in.

+1 on the bottle bombs.

I wash the bottles as I empty them and then store upside down. I also StarSan them right before filling. I'm suspecting the spigot and am replacing it. I'll also be dumping all of the bottles tonight.

Spent 3 hours sanitizing bottles and equipment THEN opened the fermenter:smack:

It is a 30 IBU citra, light extract APAish beer, non dry hopped. The fermenter smells real good and fruity.

I brewed it 2.5 months ago and left it in the fermenter at roomtemp. (~74F)

Are they friendly looking or not? (dump or not? i am okay with something sour or funky)

GEmJNdu.jpg

7USqgIG.jpg

Spent 3 hours sanitizing bottles and equipment THEN opened the fermenter:smack:

It is a 30 IBU citra, light extract APAish beer, non dry hopped. The fermenter smells real good and fruity.

I brewed it 2.5 months ago and left it in the fermenter at roomtemp. (~74F)

Are they friendly looking or not? (dump or not? i am okay with something sour or funky)
I have nothing constructive to add, but the beer looks pretty! Give it a small taste?

I tasted it, it tastes normal or maybe a bit sourish but i remember i perceived a previous citra smash beer kinda acidic before bottle carbonation during bottling so i am not sure if it is bad.

Fairly similar looking to glues. Just found these in some
Washed yeast i planned on dumping anyway since i hadnt used it in a few months. Just curious as to what these are. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406865371.571580.jpg

This was in all 3 jars as well. Not sure as to the cause either as my sanitation practices were diligent.

Edit: or so i thought*

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

I tasted it, it tastes normal or maybe a bit sourish but i remember i perceived a previous citra smash beer kinda acidic before bottle carbonation during bottling so i am not sure if it is bad.

What's your FG? If it tastes ok, I'd go ahead and package it. Keep an eye on it though. First signs of a pellicle inside the bottle or overcarbonation, drink the batch fast. Most of these contaminations take a little while to take hold, especially in fermented beer. Enjoy your beer and, fwiw, I'd drink a sour citra PA...

Washed yeast i planned on dumping anyway since i hadnt used it in a few months. Just curious as to what these are. View attachment 214759

Are they really blue, or is that an artifact from the image? If they are, that looks like mold. These are hard to tell when in early stages.

Are they really blue, or is that an artifact from the image? If they are, that looks like mold. These are hard to tell when in early stages.

They were really blue. But i believe that was amplified as well from
Something else (light, reflection, etc,)

I had taken these out of my freezer about 2 days earlier so that may explain the early stage of mold. (Could Having gone from 34~ degrees to ambient temps been the cause of the mold?)

Mold is most likely the culprit since i had gotten mold in some leftover
Wort i had plans with but neglected for a couple days. That was much further along in the infection i guess because, while similar in color they were much different in appearance. Thanks for identifying it for me.

Cheers.

You would have to introduce spores somewhere in your process, which is fairly easy to do. I would certainly trash it.

I'm confused on one point - what are you freezing and thawing?

Def looks like mold, but agree that you shouldn't be freezing washed yeast if it's just stored with water.

Washed yeast i planned on dumping anyway since i hadnt used it in a few months. Just curious as to what these are. View attachment 214759

This was in all 3 jars as well. Not sure as to the cause either as my sanitation practices were diligent.

Edit: or so i thought*

They look like mold. I wouldnt use them

Hey all, so I brewed a Vienna Lager, after it's d-rest I noticed some waxy floaters and a strange smell coming from the beer. To describe my thoughts when I noticed this: well green lager always smells and tastes kind of funny, but this is different. Also, I know that floaters can look funny, even if it is yeast. But I still figured it was probably infected and bottled it to see how it would turn out.

It turned out great! It was definitely infected, I can taste a little barnyard, and the acidity is noticeably higher than other Vienna lagers I've been making lately. So, whatever bugs found my beer actually improved it IMO, and I'm not at all disappointed that it's no longer a Vienna lager. It's one of my absolute favorite styles, so I brew it a lot and I already have a good clean batch lagering now. This one is almost like a cleaner Flanders ale if you can believe it.

The point of my story: If you think it has a chance to turn out good, and it's not totally disgusting, let it ride!

I had that happen to a batch of my Maori IPA. Turned out great! The little bit of funk added to the fruity/oaky flavors from the NZ hops.

Dumped this last night, it was...thick?
MGZVZkM.jpg

at a certain point in a sour beer it gets thick and ropey, i think because of the pediococcus. it has an interesting mouth feel but the taste is unaffected as, it tastes like a sour beer does.

I've gotten these before, but not in this quantity. I'm thinking these are just yeast rafts as they aren't fuzzy or filmy, but the fact that they've happened before makes me wonder if some of my equipment is tainted. Thoughts? (I'm a bit of a beginner, go easy on me). TIA

EDIT: haven't tasted, but it smells great.

Jamsomito: It is perfectly normal and depends on the yeast. Some types will do this to a greater extent. You can get some of them to settle by slightly disturbing or moving the fermentor. Also, cold crashing will help get them to drop. Either way, not enough on top to cause issues racking.

I brewed a BBS Kentucky Rye on July 20. I've done a few of these kits, but it this one looks like it might have some mold growing on the top of it. I took two pics, not sure how well it shows the white spots, but they are definitely there. I'm passed the two week mark, so should I go ahead and bottle this before it gets worse?

(I have no hydrometer to take a reading, so it's a bit of guess work at this point..)

Thanks..

mold1.jpg

mold2.jpg

Back