What sanitising agent do you use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you predominately use for sanitising most of your kit.

I'd like to compile a list so if your product isn't listed then please add then next number to it.

1. Idophor (a medical version -- Betadine 10% aqueous)
I pay £3 for 500ml and need 1.25ml per litre to make a no rinse solution
Description: If you keep your equipment clean between brews, Iodophor is a great sanitizer. (Your equipment will not be clean if you simply rinse after use. You must use a cleaner, such as TSP.) Iodophor is excellent for stainless steel- which Diversol will corrode- and all other beermaking equipment. Mixed properly and used in a spray bottle, Iodophor is almost magical in its convenience: there's no waiting and no rinsing. Cleaning Iodophor does not clean. Use a cleanser such as TSP before sanitizing with Iodophor. Sanitizing Mix 1 ml per litre of cold water. You must use a syringe for accurate measurement. Use a spray bottle to coat equipment with solution. Shake off excess or allow equipment to drain. Do not rinse. Use the equipment. It's that easy! Cautions When in solution, Iodophor rapidly breaks down. Every time you use it, you must make a fresh solution. Not effective unless mixed accurately. Use a syringe. Will not clean dirty or stained equipment. Hazardous for those with iodine allergies. Concentrated solution stains skin and fabric.

2) Bleach (15mL/gal) + HOT water rinse (Sodium Hypochlorite)

Description: Unscented household bleach can be used as a sanitizer and cleaner. For sanitizing, it is just as effective as Diversol. For cleaning, however, either Diversol or TSP would be preferable. Cleaning Mix 2.5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) and follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol . When rinsing, remove all traces of chlorine smell. Sanitizing Using a solution of 5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol Cautions See above. Don't use scented bleach. Those 'spring fresh' and 'lemony' perfumes will sink into equipment permanently. All subsequent batches will smell and taste like perfume.

3) Autoclave (glassware only) (18psi @ 250˚F for 20min)

4. Starsan- no rinse and I love the foam

5. Diversol (Sani-Brew)

Description: As well as being a sanitizer, Diversol has the added benefit of being an extremely effective cleaner. Available under a variety of trade names, you'll recognize Diversol because it is a chlorinated pink powder. Cleaning Dissolve 3.5 g per litre of cold water (5 tsp. per gal). Soak stained equipment up to 48 hours. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. Sanitizing Fill primary fermenter with Diversol solution (3.5 g per litre of cold water [5 tsp. per gal.]). Fully immerse all equipment: hoses, spoons, bungs, hydrometers, thermometers, airlocks, and primary lid. Soak equipment for at least 20 min. Remove lid, rinse carefully (but thoroughly) with hot water and turn it upside-down on the counter. Rinse equipment, placing items inside sanitized lid. To sanitize a carboy: With bung in carboy, slosh 9 litres (2 gal.) Diversol solution all around inside. Repeat twice, with 5 minutes between repetitions. Rinse after 20 min. Cautions Corrodes stainless steel. Can bleach clothing. Do not mix with acids, amines, or ammonia. Such a mixture produces dangerous gases.

6. One Step since it came with my kit. I have not noticed any discernible effects of the two. I use star-san because it can be re-used and I can buy it in larger quantities.

2) Bleach (15mL/gal) + HOT water rinse (Sodium Hypochlorite)

Description: Unscented household bleach can be used as a sanitizer and cleaner. For sanitizing, it is just as effective as Diversol. For cleaning, however, either Diversol or TSP would be preferable. Cleaning Mix 2.5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) and follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol . When rinsing, remove all traces of chlorine smell. Sanitizing Using a solution of 5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol Cautions See above. Don't use scented bleach. Those 'spring fresh' and 'lemony' perfumes will sink into equipment permanently. All subsequent batches will smell and taste like perfume.

3) Autoclave (glassware only) (18psi @ 250˚F for 20min)

Star San and

5. Diversol (Sani-Brew)

Description: As well as being a sanitizer, Diversol has the added benefit of being an extremely effective cleaner. Available under a variety of trade names, you'll recognize Diversol because it is a chlorinated pink powder. Cleaning Dissolve 3.5 g per litre of cold water (5 tsp. per gal). Soak stained equipment up to 48 hours. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. Sanitizing Fill primary fermenter with Diversol solution (3.5 g per litre of cold water [5 tsp. per gal.]). Fully immerse all equipment: hoses, spoons, bungs, hydrometers, thermometers, airlocks, and primary lid. Soak equipment for at least 20 min. Remove lid, rinse carefully (but thoroughly) with hot water and turn it upside-down on the counter. Rinse equipment, placing items inside sanitized lid. To sanitize a carboy: With bung in carboy, slosh 9 litres (2 gal.) Diversol solution all around inside. Repeat twice, with 5 minutes between repetitions. Rinse after 20 min. Cautions Corrodes stainless steel. Can bleach clothing. Do not mix with acids, amines, or ammonia. Such a mixture produces dangerous gases.

For sanitization:
1/4 cup of bleach and 1/4 cup of vinegar to 5 gallons of water.
Star-San - the foaming one
Sani clean - the non foaming version of star san
Idophore -
Grain alcohol in a spray bottle

For Cleaning:
Oxyclean
PBW
Bleach
Salt and ice as an abrasive cleaner

I have access to it at work. It's probably hard to get it at that strength for the individual. But I am positive that 35% solution is available as it is used in the restaurant industry to sanitize dishes. You have to handle this stuff with care as it is a very strong oxidizer, but it is the best sanitizing and cleaning agent I have used. Nothing survives this stuff.

Starsan! It's septic tank friendly, no rinse, lasts a long time and only needs 30 seconds of contact time.

Star San!

It's cheaper for me than other stuff ($19 for a thirty something ounce bottle, one ounce per 5 gallon batch, several uses per batch) since it can be re-used. The bottle has a wonderful self-measuring thing and it's no rinse.

Star-San but started with

6. One Step since it came with my kit. I have not noticed any discernible effects of the two. I use star-san because it can be re-used and I can buy it in larger quantities.

I love the San-Star. I do boil and steam my brass bottling wand. to get the stuff I can't see.

Iodophor bc that's what was local...I'll probubly give starsan a shot someday but I've got a buttload of iodophor for now

Star-san. Inexpensive, quick acting, reusable, no-rinse. Perfect.

I started out using bleach because it was handy and cheap, but its smelly and hard to know when its rinsed off. Now I use C-Brite and it seems to work pretty well. I have iodophor, but I am allergic to shellfish, so I don't go near the stuff, but when I get my kegs set-up, I'll have someone clean my lines with it.

Iodophor always. I've got the 33oz bottle and it'll probably last me 1.5-2 years. .5 capfuls/2.5gal is the recommended dosage but I usually use a little more. I was told that if your solution is amber in color it's good to go. I never rinse and I also keep a spray bottle around for misc sanitizing tasks. Someday I may try Star-san but so far Iodophor has worked well enough.

I use vodka, rubbing alcohol, and boiling water. Boiling water is my favorite by far for buckets and kegs. Quite a few batches I have used no chemical sanitizer at all except for boiling water, and it has worked every time. I just boil 2 qts in an electric teakettle, pour in the bucket and on the lid. Roll the bucket around with the lid on until you can hardly hold on to it, then crack the lid open a bit and pour off. You now have a sanitized bucket. For a keg, just add 2 qts boiling water, shake, and run some through each dip tube and a little thru the release. You might think I'm crazy, but it is simple, easy and effective. Vodka or rubbing alcohol works wonders on everything else.

Back