More Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some antique demijohns that I would like to put my elderberry wine into.

1st question: At what point do I put the product into them, right after the secondary? (sheesh, I hope I said that right)

2nd question: In order to use some of them I need 2" corks but I have not seen that large a size available. Know where I could find them?

Thank you very much,

Petunia

The demi-johns would be your secondaries...

Look for a universal stopper that's wide eough across for the DJs with a hole for the airlocks. If you can't find that then use a balloon and put a hole in the tip for outgassing.

Petunia said:
Hi,

I have some antique demijohns that I would like to put my elderberry wine into.

1st question: At what point do I put the product into them, right after the secondary? (sheesh, I hope I said that right)

2nd question: In order to use some of them I need 2" corks but I have not seen that large a size available. Know where I could find them?

Thank you very much,

Petunia
The demijohns should do fine as a secondary or tertiary fermentation/storage vessel. The main thing to remember with wine is you want very little head space so the wine doesn't absorb oxygen. How big are the demijohns compared to the volume of the wine?
Some folks top off with water some use a similar wine to displace the head space leaving a small amount at the neck of the vessel. If the vessel is too big the water would dilute the wine and if you added a similar wine it would influence the taste of the finished product.

I believe I have two 1 gallon and 2 half gallon demijohns. I will make sure so I know how many more secondarys to aquire.

So far I have five gallons of wine in my primarys. The two gallon one will finish first so I could use the demijohns for that and perhaps use the 3 gallon carboy for the bigger batches secondary. After that I'll have to juggle or find something for the tertiary.

I see that a trip to explore the brewing store in Columbia is coming up.

Thank you,

Petunia

Back