I will build your IPA/IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still offering free recipes?
Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6.5 gal carboy
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: any, preferably all grain
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: yes
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yes
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5+
Batch size (in gallons): 5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: more APA-grand teton sweetgrass, new glarus moon man, 3 floyds alpha kings, lagunitas maximus, bell's two hearted
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: DFH 90 min, Hopslam, Hop Stoopid
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: either, usually smack pack
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2.5
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):2.5

How about a nice hoppy American Pale instead of an IPA?? Still Game? Maybe some floral and fruity hops instead of the dank or piney?

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 5
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 5 and 7
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: All Grain
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: I have but dont normally
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 4
Batch size (in gallons): 3
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Crooked Tree; Hopdevil
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Bells Hopslam; Lagunitas Hop Stupid; 90 minute
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 4-6 (pale ale)
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Starters are fine
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

I'm hoping you can help me come up with something fun here. I have a freezer full of all kinds of different hops, many of which I haven't used before (sorachi ace, HBC-342, summit, AU topaz, bravo), as well as some classics (Simcoe, centennial, cascade). Waddya got for me?

bobbrews said:
Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): either,6 gal
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: AG
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Yes.
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 7
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs:
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Avery IPA, NB Ranger, uinta hop notch
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs:
Hop Stoopid, widmer Nelson imperial, Firestone double jack

What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: ideally 7ish but my system maxes out at about 1.065

Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: either one is fine
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high):
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3-4
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3.25

Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 1-2

Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

Back