Easy Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is suggesting plastic bottles. Would it be possible if I double up the recipe and ferment it a day in a 1 gal glass carboy, then (glass) bottled it into glass, and took it right to the fridge? I love old-timey ginger ale ESPECIALLY Vernors (which is impossible to convince the commissary on base in Japan to stock)
Any advice for doing this in glass?

moonmandave said:
Everyone is suggesting plastic bottles. Would it be possible if I double up the recipe and ferment it a day in a 1 gal glass carboy, then (glass) bottled it into glass, and took it right to the fridge? I love old-timey ginger ale ESPECIALLY Vernors (which is impossible to convince the commissary on base in Japan to stock)
Any advice for doing this in glass?

This is tricky, But here's what I have been doing. I bottle in 1 L flip top bottles (glass) that had sparkling lemonade soda in them. But I also bottle a plastic bottle to test. When the plastic is firm, they all go in the fridge.

Sometimes, I just let it sit for 2 days and hope it's enough.

I wouldn't do it with any bottle that wasn't made for carbonated drinks (like i would not use juice, decorative, spirits, etc. bottles.) especially not if they are really old.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to pasteurize this in the bottle after it has fully carbed, in order to make it shelf safe. I have seen threads somewhere here about how to do that, but am wondering if the plastic bottles will hold up to the pressure of the carb and then the heat of pasteurization process. Any ideas?

I kegged this and put the ginger in a paint strainer bag and right in the keg. Taste great and no floaties. Thanks yoop for another great one

x2 on the pasteurizing idea. I was thinking about bottles, and using a few plastic ones as feelers for when pressure is good, then pasteurizing the glass bottles.

sub'd. Wife has been pushing me to make some "real" Root Beer and Ginger Ale since I started brewing about a year ago.

This looks easy and quick so that'll be nice. If I end up doing this I may double or triple it and try using 2 or 3 "regular" 12oz bottles and put the rest in plastic Polar Seltzer water bottles. If cider can be pasteurized I don't see why the same process can't be done for soda.

Looks like the easiest bottle pasteurizing method is in the dishwasher, do a search for dishwasher pasteurizing.

bolus14 said:
sub'd. Wife has been pushing me to make some "real" Root Beer and Ginger Ale since I started brewing about a year ago.

This looks easy and quick so that'll be nice. If I end up doing this I may double or triple it and try using 2 or 3 "regular" 12oz bottles and put the rest in plastic Polar Seltzer water bottles. If cider can be pasteurized I don't see why the same process can't be done for soda.

Looks like the easiest bottle pasteurizing method is in the dishwasher, do a search for dishwasher pasteurizing.

I don't think you can pasteurize in plastic, though.

Right. Plastic would have to go in the fridge. For glass I don't mind throwing a case or so in the dishwasher. Standing over the stove doing 5 or 6 bottles for an hour or longer isn't fun.

I found the dishwasher pasteurizing post while looking at this post. I think my preference would be to do it in glass, pasteurize, and not have to take up the fridge space.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Do not try and heat pasturize in the PET bottles. They become way too pliable and stretch out under the pressure form inside.

I'm carbing my first ginger beer attempt. Here is what I used for 2 liters:

4 ounces of fresh ginger juice to give that nice burn
1 lime
1/2 a lemon
2/3 cup blue agave

I'm carbing at 30 psi with the carbonator.

*Notes*

0.68 Lbs of ginger (USA) produced 8 ounces of ginger juice with a masticating juicer.

I'm will try my next batch with organic cane sugar.

I'm carbing my first ginger beer attempt. Here is what I used for 2 liters:

4 ounces of fresh ginger juice to give that nice burn
1 lime
1/2 a lemon
2/3 cup blue agave

I'm carbing at 30 psi with the carbonator.

*Notes*

0.68 Lbs of ginger (USA) produced 8 ounces of ginger juice with a masticating juicer.

I'm will try my next batch with organic cane sugar.

This was not quite the taste I was looking for. It seems a must to steep the ginger instead of juicing. Mine has a little bitter taste that I associate with raw ginger juice. Steeping the ginger must give it a full bodied mature flavor.

Will try that tomorrow! By the way, when you say Measure out 1/4th teaspoon fresh yeast., do you actually mean fresh yeast? That'd be a 1/8th teaspoon of dry active or a 1/16th teaspoon of instant yeast. As I read above that there is some critical amount of yeast to use it's probably better to clear that up :) Though all in all, I'll be using dry active bread yeast and hope for the best :)

EDIT: I also have some Motueka that I will steep in the warm water for 5 minutes for extra hoppiness. There; a perfectly fine batch of ginger ale ruined by the accidental availability of hops :)

Why are you using bread yeast? Have you done it before? From what I've read this will give you a very "bready" " yeasty" beer.

By 'fresh yeast', I mean not stale or previously opened yeast. Once a package of yeast is opened, it absorbs water and should be used within a week or so. The wine yeast is dried, with a date that is good for a few years after packaged.

It's important to use a neutral flavored wine yeast, unless you like yeasty flavored ginger ale. The amount isn't important- you want enough to go the job, but you can use more than is strictly required with fine results.

Thanks for the clarification! As for bread yeast, some success was reported (#35) in this thread, so I'll give it a try, and see how awfull it turns out :)

EDIT: I ended up using S-05 scooped from a ginger/pepper beer that was freshly put to primary. The ginger ale is great, although I made one mistake: I blended the lemon rather than juice it; it floated in the bottle and made the opening of the bottle very messy. Pros: great smell in the kitchen; Cons: lemon pulp everywhere.

If I was going to make gallon of this how would I bump up the ingredients

If someone is talking about a 1L recipe, you need to multiply by "about" 4 to get the quantities for a gallon. If it's a 2L recipe, then it's a little more than double. But a liter is roughly a quart.

Does that help?

Latest posts

Back