romanian beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvoFX

Reaction score
Hello all.

i am living in Romania for a few months, and have been trying out there beers. so far i have not been too impressed. does has anyone tried romanian beer and wouldnt mind recommending some? (not really known for beer, but whatever):mug:

Good luck! Ursus is about the best of all of them. The wine that I tried was not much better. Like grape juice with alcohol added. Proximity to great brewing regions means nothing. Look at France and Poland for examples of that rule.

m.

According to wikipedia you should be bathing in good beer (and vampires);

Beer in Romania
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Beer in Romania comes from the long tradition of Romanian brewing, being introduced in Transylvania by the German colonists (Transylvanian Saxons) and in Moldavia by cultural connections with Poland.

A national association of beer with mititei came into existence during the 1877 Independence War of Romania and after that it saw a spread of beer pubs throughout the Romanian Kingdom. The beer pubs (berării) became a place of social and business meetings for the Romanian urban middle-class. Currently, Romanians are amongst the heaviest beer drinkers in the world, with an annual consumption of over 100 litres per capita in 2007.[1]

Romanian law considers beer and wine to be foodstuffs and therefore they are not subject to the usual tariffs and restrictions imposed upon alcoholic beverages.

The word "beer" in Romanian (bere) is derived from German Bier (itself an early loan from Latin biber), but there is also an obsolete regional word "olovină", of Slavic origin.
Bere Ursus (Ursus Beer) truck delivering in Romania
[edit] Romanian beer brands

Some of the most appreciated Romanian beers are: Ursus (Latin for "bear"), Timişoreana (named after the city of Timişoara), Stejar (Romanian for "oak") - all owned by SABMiller, Bergenbier - owned by Interbrew, Ciuc (named after Miercurea Ciuc) and Silva (Latin for "forest") - owned by Heineken. Silva and Ursus have also a dark lager variety.

Some international brands are brewed locally, being very popular but sometimes more expensive than the traditional ones: Heineken, Carlsberg, Stella Artois, Beck's, Efes Pilsen,Tuborg and Skol.

Also, there are a large number of beers usually sold in 2-liter PET bottles and targeting the low-end market. Examples are: Ciucaş, Golden Bräu, Bürger, Neumarkt, Bucegi, Gambrinus, Azuga, Noroc.

Here's something else I found...

* Ursus blond or helles: Brewed in Cluj, where I stayed, founded in 1878. Ursus is a sharp, light-bodied, reasonably hopped for the style, pilsener. It is tasty with a pale color. Between a Czech and a German pils.
* Ursus dark: Very sweet, like a porter or swartzbier. Pruny, burnt caramel flavors, thick and chewy.
* Ciuc: pronounced chook, as in cook. Brewed by a Romanian brewery owned by Heineken. Another pilsener, much maltier than the Ursus, and comparable to Czech Boom.
* Silva blond or helles: A malty pilsener, somewhat sweet, hoppier than the Ciuc, but less than Ursus. More of a straight lager, and slightly darker than Ursus.
* Silva dark: 7% abv. The strongest of the beers sampled. Not as sweet as Ursus dark, drier, grainier, and with perhaps a cherry finish. A nice head after pour, and comparable to a Belgian dubbel.
* Timesoreana: Pilsener style. A pale, light version of the style, not very hoppy or, frankly, memorable. Clearly inferior to the other pilseners sampled and comparable to American mass-market brew.

All beers were extremely inexpensive, ranging from US$.50 for a half liter of Timesoreana to US$.80 for a half liter of the Silva Dark.

Sounds like a beer wasteland actually. ;)

well i been sampling beers and have been a sucker for sweet flavored beers. and i found the Ursus Redds to be very similar to a Radler from germany, the style i mean. has anyone had the redds or the radler? i want to know how the Redds is made but i cant find any information on it

I just stayed in Romania for a week and I much preferred Ciuc to Ursus. In fact, I could not get enough Ciuc. I brought two home. One for now, and one for a chance meeting with a thirsty Romanian.

Are you drinking any Silver Black?

I hated the Redd's. Too lemony.

Any leads on Ciuc in America?

Ciao!

My college jazz ensemble did a tour through Romania (and other countries), including playing a beer festival in Timişoara, where the only beer available was Timişoreana. Was about like Bud, maybe a little better, but it was free.

its true, most of the lagers really resemble a bud taste. a little difference, but not to drastic for at least me. but Ursus black was worth it for sure.

i am not sure what silver black is. is that a reference to the black?

You can find good beer in Romania. I liked Bergenbier the most. Ciuc and Stejar were good also. Ursus, average for my taste. Ursus black, good.

The Romanian beer is mostly based on German recipes. The quality depends on the water they brew with, in a certain area. In central and northern Romania, where I lived, I had plenty of great beer.

By Silver Black I meant Silva Negra. May be the Ursus black you are referring to, but the bottle had no mention of Ursus. It was brewed by Silva.

Maybe I just like mild pilsners? Heck I even enjoy a Bud sometimes, but I sure loved Ciuc.

well i been sampling beers and have been a sucker for sweet flavored beers. and i found the Ursus Redds to be very similar to a Radler from germany, the style i mean. has anyone had the redds or the radler? i want to know how the Redds is made but i cant find any information on it

Yeah, when I was in Germany we used to go to this bar all the time, and one of my buddies didn't drink. The lady there offered him a radler and said if he didn't like it he didn't have to pay. She said it was just a mix of lemon soda like Sprite and beer (think she either mixed it with a kristallweizen). He was hooked :mug:

I actually toured Romanian breweries a few years back... we introduced the concept of black and tan to the Aurora brewmaster - he wrote us a few months later claiming that the black and tans were a hit at their christmas party. Both beers pictured below were among my favorites (you can see a non PET Ciucaş in the background)

blackandtan1.jpg

I recall genuinely enjoying the beers from Trei Stejari - though I could not recommend anything specific from memory. We wore lab coats while we toured their facility - they had the biggest open fermenters that I have ever seen at that point (and the dirtiest I have seen to date.

Ursus black was my go to when we were in bars... but I was all about the Ţuică when were in the villages. Check out this Ţuică distillery in Seibel- crazy:
46_seibel_farm.jpg

In my week in Sighisoara I did find that I was constantly drinking tuiga of some quality or another, depending on who was looking for the bottle. I brought home about a liter and it is going too fast...

I read over that message and read the signature line and was thankful I don't feel that way about Romanians or hippies.

Romania, te iubesc.

This part of the world seems to enjoy the lighter lagers much to my dismay. They make a fine product, just boring. If you buy a darker beer here its a larger with this "food coloring" stuff in it....

I just brought a sampler 12 pack into a co-worker!

The best stuff to drink in Romania is Ţuică, which I'm sure you guys have had. If you can find any of this stuff that was distilled at someone's farm, instead of purchased from a store, its even better.

As far as beer goes, so far I agree with most of you, Romania, much like most of the region, seems to enjoy lagers. Maybe try to find some Austrian or German imports?

+1 on the tuica...

...i lived in romania for over a year and much preferred the local 'shine to any of the romanian beers...ursus dark is downable, though...

if you think the beers are bad, you should try the smokes!

Well all of the breweries were bought by macros. Anything you drink is preatty much your average adjunct lager.

Silva Neagră and Ursus black are the only ones different. I prefer Ursus to Silva. It resembles a stout or porter.

I suggest going to a supermarket and buying some german or belgian beer. You can find a nice selection in the bigger ones (La Trappe, Chimay, Blanche de Namur, Weihenstephan, Boucanier, Piraat, Hoegaarden - 20 to 30 types in Auchan, Real or Carrefour).

I suggest going to a supermarket and buying some german or belgian beer. You can find a nice selection in the bigger ones (La Trappe, Chimay, Blanche de Namur, Weihenstephan, Boucanier, Piraat, Hoegaarden - 20 to 30 types in Auchan, Real or Carrefour).

Why yes, yes you can!

08_sm_wax3.jpg

I have yet to find this selection at Carrefour! WoW! I have found one Belgian and a handful of standard German imports. I try and drink local wherever I live, but....

Now Bulgarian wine..... Thats really good and cheap!

I am a little late to this thread but back in april I got to go Romania with my girlfriend who is Romanian. I fell in love with Silva and liked the Ursus. Once back in Ohio we tried to find here with no luck. Since then we have tried many beers hoping to come close and finally we did, or alteast a nice substitute. Sam Adam's Creme Stout reminds me of the Silva and Sam Adams Black reminds me of the Ursus.

The girlfriend had 6 pack of Silva and Ursus shipped here for my birthday and it was like 80 bucks. Totally worth it!

Anyhow, I hope to get back to Romania for the Silva because it was cheap, large, and tasted great!

Back