I think I'm burnt out on IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbo

Reaction score
Guys,

I have been in denial about this for a while. I seemed to have lost my crazy love and affinity for IBU's. I find myself drinking more stouts, reds and dare I say...wheat beers. I dunno whats wrong with me. I used to love hops and would even try to eat them raw...

Is my palate destroyed or just evolving? Before a hopped up brew is the first thing I would look for but now, I'm beginning to like something more subtle and delicate. I still drink an IPA or two but they are not my go-to beers anymore. I have tried to force myself to like Belgians but I just can't.

Oh well. flavor of the month I suppose. Has this happened to anyone else? do you find yourself switching beer styles often?

I am the same way right now. Been drinking a lot of porters, stouts, and american wheat beers.....

You will be alright. I go through stages like that every year. Last year I went through a schwartz beer stage, a stout and porter, and even a kolsch. Right now I have a pale, an ipa and a porter kegged, and an ipa in secondary. Thats is what makes homebrewing fun! You can never stay bored - just switch styles.

I had the same "problem". I drank IPA's exclusively until I got sick of them. I then went to stout's, pales and now I'm back to IPA's. I think it has something to do with the seasons....

used to love IPA's still drink them but I have to be in the "mood" for one. I like more stouts, pale ales, ESBs and the like.

I think anyone that loves IPAs but are feeling burned out on all the hops might want to try an English IPA. It's like a bitter, but a bit hoppier. That could be the way to go while your taste buds recover. ;)

Give it some time you'll be buying up IPAs again soon. Just a phase your going through. Wouldn't be as fun if you only craved one style of beer now would it?

Just about everyone I know who has been homebrewing for 4-5 years has moved on from IPAs. Had a Heart of the Valley meeting last year where the only IPA was my experimental gluten-free English -style. Not saying they don't make them any more, but it becomes an occasional thing, like making a Fresh Hop IPA at harvest time.

Man, I feel you on the Belgian part of your post too... I keep trying them, and I like them but can't say I love them.

I go through phases too... you'll be back to IPAs in a little while. I usually switch to brown ales, milds, Wheats, and ESB's... get my malt fix in. Move on to porters and stouts, back to Pale ales, and before ya know it... back to IPAs. I have been able to get 2 hearted locally on tap.... mmmmm... I'll keep getting this as long as I can get it on tap!

I did just come up with more English style IPA, not as crazy hopped as American IPA's (around 55 IBUS)... been a while since I brewed an IPA. this fall, I'm also planning a Black Imperial IPA with IBUs at around 100... Super Hoppy!

Since I got back into homebrewing and switched to all grain I have a new appreciation for lagers and pilsners, especially in the hot weather. I am having a real hard time waiting for my next German pilsner to lager :( .

But I am a hophead at heart, and big IPA's are my beverage of choice. I can't imagine ever being burnt out on them.

With that said I am brewing and Alt tonight.....so who knows ;) .

Alan

Man, I feel you on the Belgian part of your post too... I keep trying them, and I like them but can't say I love them.

Same with the belgians. Have tried a bunch and it's just not my thing. If someone buys me one I will drink it. But I would not buy them for myself.

Before a hopped up brew is the first thing I would look for but now, I'm beginning to like something more subtle and delicate. I still drink an IPA or two but they are not my go-to beers anymore.

That's exactly where I'm at right now. I still love APA's, but the sticky sweet caramel and resinous taste of a strong IPA just isn't what I want these days.
Not with you on the Belgian front though. I love some of em. I have a fantastic Saison on tap right now. Brewed with a sizeable amount of Amarillo hops. Yum-me!

I'm the same as well. Getting a bit burned out on my IPA's although I do have a Pliny clone on tap right now. My go to beer at the moment seems to be Kolsch, I can't get enough of the stuff. I've also been trying to get into the Belgian beers but there is just something about them. I do have a Golden Strong on its 3rd week of fermentation, we'll see how that turns out.

Your palate is definitely improving :D

I love a good IPA. I also love a good Tripel, and a good Oatmeal Stout, and a good Amber, and a good Barleywine, and a good Saison, and a good Brown Ale....

It's all about *good* beer. Sticking to one flavor profile is pretty boring, if you ask me.

As for the belgians...give it time. You'll find something that will bridge the gap eventually. When I was 21 I found a bottle of Rochefort 8, took a sip, and POURED IT DOWN THE DRAIN. I wasn't acclimated to the heavy estery profile of belgian beers like I am today.

Drink what you're in the mood for, and maybe even something that you're not...you might find that you like something that you've never even tried before because you were too busy searching for "IPA" on tap handles :mug:

I'm burnt out on Imperial IPAs for sure. I still have one from time to time, but since summer has been here, I can't get enough Two Hearted Ale, Sweetwater IPA, OMB Kolsner (local Kolsch) and SN Summerfest.

I've also branched out into Saisons and Hefeweizens. Still can't do dubbels and tripels though.

I'm burned out on extreme beers in general. I still love hops, but would rather have them in a pale ale without the harsh bitterness. I have a rye pale ale and a mild that are my regular drinkers.

I was going to brew another IPA , but I am burned out on IPA

got 20 pounds of two row , pound of vienna , think bout mashing that grain bill at 154 , and one oz saaz at first of boil , let Safe Ale 05 work it bout 3 weeks at 62F , see what I get ,

I started on Belgians, moved to turbo-American IPAs, then to Wheat Beers and now I'm all about the English bitters and IPAs. I do love that your tastes change, and its fun to drink a style that you haven't liked in a while and then realizing why you loved it back in the day. I don't drink Belgian's often, but when I do it reminds me of why I got into beer in the first place.

I'm actually glad to hear your story. I'm an emerging hop head and I see myself craving more and more hops. I was scared that there would be no end. Now I can rest easy knowing that it's only a matter of time until I'm able to really enjoy a good Scottish ale or English Brown ale.

Me too. I bought my C hops in bulk and that is all I have been brewing since 2009. Time to move on. I am currently brewing light ales, lagers and would like to get into brewing some Belgians.

Back