Headspace in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpatton

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post, I've searched for an answer but I'm just not seeing it so here goes: I think I left too much headspace in my swing-top bottles, about 2 to 2.5 inches. I didn't think it would make any difference, but some info in the bottling section here explained more about the carbonation process and now I'm slightly concerned. If I understand correctly, it will either just take longer to carbonate, or the Co2 will just sit at the top of the bottle and not do much. Any thoughts? Am I over analyzing this? This is with a MoreBeer "American Ale" kit. Thanks!

Rob

Don't worry about it now. There isn't really a lot you can do anyway. If later you pop one open that isn't "done" (after waiting 3 weeks or more), then you always have the option in putting a slightly stronger dose of priming sugar in that one and re-sealing. Give it another 3 weeks and see if it helps.

In papazians book he says a half inch to an inch and a half. Youre beer may get a little overcarbinated. Next time try using one of those bottle fillers. They are cheap and leave the same amount of beer in every bottle.

how did you fill the bottles?

i use a bottling wand and hose connected to the spigot on my bottling bucket. i stick the wand in the bottle and let it go till its just about to over flow then i stop and pull out the wand. this leaves me with the perfect amount of head space.

Thanks for the info! I used a wand if that is what you call it - press the tip on the bottom of the bottle and beer comes out. I think my mistake was to fill the bottles to within an inch, then remove the wand. This leaves the 2-2.5 inches of space. They're at 2 weeks now, I'll check on them at 3.

Back