Propane tanks in the sun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
Are propane tanks dangerous when exposed to full sunlight? It's about 80 degrees and sunny here, good day to brew.

Am I in any danger brewing without shade cover?

Thanks for saving my life or not!

Barbecue tanks sit out all day in the sun. You should be fine. I would suggest drinking a couple of cold beers to keep you cool.

On deck IPA
Primary: APA
Secondary:
Drinking: Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Orange Honey Wheat, IPA

De`ja`-Brew
We have all been beer before.

They can handle way more pressure than they have when they're full.

There's a bleed-off valve that'll keep the pressure at a safe level in any case.

Look how many houses across the country that have 100 to 500 gallon propane tanks out in the sun year round with a problem. The safety factor is many times higher than the static gas pressure in the tank as well a overpressure relief valve on each tank. I have only had one tank pop off over the years and it was a 3,000 scuba tank painted black in the sun down in Mexico. The noise it made a few of us dove off the boat I was one of the people.

I've got a 135 gallon tank that's out in full sun. Propane does expand a great deal, which is why portable tanks now have fill valves that prevent over-filling. My 135 gallon tank is only 110 gallon usable.

cold winters are more problematic for propane users than summer heat :)

My friend a 'ex Top/Fuel racer has a 67 Dodge with four spreadbore secondaries in a 2" thick aluminum stock he built as a progressive 4 barrel to feed a 12.7 cr 440. This was to tow and push start the digger and when the tank was low and in the cold he had a vast loss of power due to the propane pressure drop as well the high flow demand he needed. This with two Century regulators then went to three of them to feed the 440.
Yes temperature does have a large effect on stored propane tank pressure.

If I've learned anything besides Spanish from King of the Hill (Grassy-us, Dr. Peggy!), it's the fact that keeping your propane tanks well polished is the way to avoid all sorts of horrible explosions in the sun. And remember, always polish from top to bottom - "Head to feet, you won't cause a leak. Feet to head, everyone's dead."

Respect sweet lady propane and she'll treat you right. Yep. :mug:

Back