Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I'm considering brewing up a batch of the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone that was posted in the Best of Brew Hop Lovers Guide... Primarily because I want an Imp Stout yet this winter, but wasn't on the ball months ago. The recipe states that this Stout is ready for consumption in 4 weeks, and that North Coast Brewing releases theirs that soon after brewing. Anybody ever tried one? It sounds good based on the recipe....

3.75 lbs Briess Lt DME
6.6 lbs Coopers Lt LME (15 minutes)
1.0 lb Carastan Malt (35° L)
0.5 lb Brown Malt (60°L)
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt (120° L)
0.25 lb Roasted Black Barley
~3 oz. Culster - 60 min
~1 oz. Northern Brewer - 2 min
~ 0.75 oz. Centennial - 2 min
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) - Though I'll likely use Notty or S-04.

Since the recipe is for a partial boil, will adding the LME upfront keep the Hop utilization about the same in a full boil?

Old Rasputin is an excellent Russian Imperial Stout. That being said I think this recipe will still be pretty rough after 4 weeks. Imperial stouts get better as they age. If you were planning on brewing this now i would think it would start being good by next winter. Imperial stouts aren't exactly a quick turn-around beer.

The age issue was precisely my fear... that's why I was going to try this one. The article specifically states that the recipe is so well balanced that the brewer releases it in less than a month.

But I agree it sounds way too early....

Here is my Imperial Stout we just tapped yesterday. It has about a month in the keg for aging and it tastes great. Lots of foamy goodness when first poured and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to settle down.

Stout12-150x104.jpg

Salute! :mug:

Here is my Imperial Stout we just tapped yesterday. It has about a month in the keg for aging and it tastes great. Lots of foamy goodness when first poured and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes to settle down.

Stout12-150x104.jpg

Salute! :mug:

Beautiful..... recipe?

I'm not doubting they release it after 4 weeks and I'm sure it is drinkable, but it is nowhere near its full potential.

One of the brewpubs near me always has a keg of the previous years old rasputin they serve every winter. Its is amazingly smooth with a dark roasted character and virtually no harsh alcohol bite.

In my mind if you brew an Imperial Stout but don't let it age its kind of pointless. I think you'd be much better off perhaps bumping up the gravity of an oatmeal stout or dry stout to around 6% or so. It won't take as long to age and should be drinkable in a month or 2. I have a toasted oatmeal stout that came in at about 6.7% (got a lot better efficiency on my first all-grain then i anticipated) and the sample i cracked to make sure carbonation was coming along was pretty tasty, but I'm gonna let them sit for another month or so before i really start drinking them.

I'm not doubting they release it after 4 weeks and I'm sure it is drinkable, but it is nowhere near its full potential.

One of the brewpubs near me always has a keg of the previous years old rasputin they serve every winter. Its is amazingly smooth with a dark roasted character and virtually no harsh alcohol bite.

In my mind if you brew an Imperial Stout but don't let it age its kind of pointless. I think you'd be much better off perhaps bumping up the gravity of an oatmeal stout or dry stout to around 6% or so. It won't take as long to age and should be drinkable in a month or 2. I have a toasted oatmeal stout that came in at about 6.7% (got a lot better efficiency on my first all-grain then i anticipated) and the sample i cracked to make sure carbonation was coming along was pretty tasty, but I'm gonna let them sit for another month or so before i really start drinking them.

Excellent points... maybe that's why I love this place so much... While your feedback was counter to the opinion I was hoping for, in all truth, you're probably 100% accurate.

Maybe I'll brew it now, crack a few in a month, and let the bulk of it satisfy my tastes next November when the snow returns....

Maybe I'll brew it now, crack a few in a month, and let the bulk of it satisfy my tastes next November when the snow returns....

I think this is probably your best option. This way will also let you see how much age helps a beer like this. Best of luck! :mug:

I actually think Old Rasputin is a lesser stout amongst the gods, but still a darn fine stout. To my taste I might add a bit more barley, up the grain a touch and add some coffee, but that's just me!

Can anyone answer this one:

Will adding the LME upfront instead of near the end of the boil keep the Hop utilization about the same if I do a full boil instead of the detailed partial boil?

Can anyone answer this one:

Will adding the LME upfront instead of near the end of the boil keep the Hop utilization about the same if I do a full boil instead of the detailed partial boil?

According to Beersmith, if you do a full boil with all the extract added at the beginning with 3 oz. of 7% AA cluster your looking at ~56 IBU. The Style guidelines for an Imperial Stout puts the IBU anywhere between 50-90. So depending on how bitter you want it to be, you could actually step the hops up a little. If you do a concentrated boil, your looking at ~104 IBU for 2.5 gallons, which after you top up becomes 52 IBU.

On the other hand, if you do a full boil and add the DME in the beginning and the LME with 15 minutes left, that will bump the IBU's up to ~76, which is almost right in the middle of the road for bitterness for the style.

Whichever option you choose, i definitely recommend a full boil.

Well, she's bubblin' away. Actually, she's churning. Two packs of Notty at about 65 degrees is causing quite a stir.... I love it.
IMG_1996.jpg

Thought I'd post a follow-up for anyone who cares...

Cracked one open this afternoon to see how she's coming. It's been about 10 months since the brew was born.

I will without a doubt brew it again. It's heavy, the head is beautiful, the mouthfeel full, and the taste of chocolate and roasted barley abundant, with just a hint of alcohol in the background to warm the belly.

I actually wish I had an Old Raspitun to compare with. I doubt it's the same, but it's damn good none-the-less.

Sorry for the poor picture... I'm a poor photographer and only thought to take a shot after she was nearing the end.

IMG_2289.jpg

I actually think Old Rasputin is a lesser stout amongst the gods, but still a darn fine stout. To my taste I might add a bit more barley, up the grain a touch and add some coffee, but that's just me!

Mind tellin me who the gods are? When I drink Old Raspy, I feel immortal...or is that immoral?? Any way fill me in on the RIS that put this to shame.

Glad to hear it came out well for you. Sounds pretty tasty.

I'm actually gearing up to brew another imperial stout next weekend myself.

Thought I'd post a follow-up for anyone who cares...

Cracked one open this afternoon to see how she's coming. It's been about 10 months since the brew was born.

I will without a doubt brew it again. It's heavy, the head is beautiful, the mouthfeel full, and the taste of chocolate and roasted barley abundant, with just a hint of alcohol in the background to warm the belly...

Good to know, I've been eyeing up this recipe as well.

Did you try it after 4 weeks, any good?

Good to know, I've been eyeing up this recipe as well.

Did you try it after 4 weeks, any good?

Yes. I primaried for a week, secondaried for a month, and then bottled. My first real sample followed 4 weeks later. In my notes I state that "its well carbonated (possibly too much) with a heavy 1/2" of creamy tan head that sticks around all glass long, good mouthfeel, but perhaps a bit too chocolaty for my taste. Very drinkable... though time will likely help."

Now... the head/carb levels are fine. No issues there. The chocolaty taste is now well balanced with the many other flavors. It's not so much that the taste has changed over the months, but it's just more balanced. No one flavor overpowers the others. It's just gooooooood.

The all grain recipe from The Best of Brew 150 Classic Clone recipes addition:

16lbs pale malt
1 lbs hugh baird carastan malt
.5 lbs hugh baird brown malt
.5 lbs choolate malt
1 lbs crystal malt
.25 lbs roasted black barley

3.1 oz (7% AA) cluster hops @60
.88 oz norther brewer (9%) and .74 oz centennial (12%) @ 2 minutes

Mash at 152, sparge and collect 10 gallons, boil down until 5 gallons, ferment at 68 degrees for 10-14 days. This recipe also specifically says it is very drinkable and worthwhile in a month.

OG 1.091, FG 1.022, ABV 8.9

I don't know if this is the modified version of the malt extract recipe, but it'll do.

Yes. I primaried for a week, secondaried for a month, and then bottled. My first real sample followed 4 weeks later. In my notes I state that "its well carbonated (possibly too much) with a heavy 1/2" of creamy tan head that sticks around all glass long, good mouthfeel, but perhaps a bit too chocolaty for my taste. Very drinkable... though time will likely help."...

Awesome, thanks for the update.

It's summer here so I may put this one down for drinking this coming winter and will put a few away to cellar.

The all grain recipe from The Best of Brew 150 Classic Clone recipes addition:

16lbs pale malt
1 lbs hugh baird carastan malt
.5 lbs hugh baird brown malt
.5 lbs choolate malt
1 lbs crystal malt
.25 lbs roasted black barley

3.1 oz (7% AA) cluster hops @60
.88 oz norther brewer (9%) and .74 oz centennial (12%) @ 2 minutes

Mash at 152, sparge and collect 10 gallons, boil down until 5 gallons, ferment at 68 degrees for 10-14 days. This recipe also specifically says it is very drinkable and worthwhile in a month.

OG 1.091, FG 1.022, ABV 8.9

I don't know if this is the modified version of the malt extract recipe, but it'll do.

Is collect 10 and boil down to 5 correct? that seems like a really long boil.

Has anyone done this recipe and collected the 10 gallons of wort then boiled to 5? I am expecting to make it next weekend and would love to hear from anyone that has followed BYO's clone recipe.

Back