Candi sugar - my first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
I made some belgian candi sugar last week-end, it turned out quite nice but there's a few things I'm wondering about.

I followed the method here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_Candi_Sugar

When I reached 260F and held it there, the added water eventually evaporated up, and I was left with a pan of sugar syrup that was NOT bubbling anymore, but I managed to hold the temperature at 260-275F easily for a total of about 40 minutes. I then raised to 300F to get it to hard-crack, and got some medium-orange colored candi sugar out of it - a touch lighter than the method above.

The main question is: is it supposed to keep boiling/bubbling at the 260-275F mark when I hold it there?

Also, if I want to get a darker color, do I just need to hold at 260-275F longer?

Thanks!

MC

The batch I made held at the 260ish range much longer. I think you hold there until you get the color you want.

There is a BIG push right now to say that the inverted sugar is NOT the real deal. I agree, but feel that it still has it's place.

It is SUPER complicated. You need unrefined beet sugar or some such ****.

Buy the belgian stuff for the occasional brew. If that is ALL you make, then source some unrefined beet sugar or start growing some fracking beets.

You did it all wrong. 5.4 grams of amalyse amino acids and L lysine must be added every 3.43 seconds and stirred with the petrified tail of a dead cat.

Last night's results:

2uppttl.jpg

MC

i got my recipe off one of the beer info sites.....

1 teaspoon lemon juice @ # of regular white sugar.

heat over medium heat stirring contineously to prevent scorching.

the sugar will begin to pale in color and become a thick & gooey liquid.

stop here for clear candi or continue on to amber or dark.

pour onto cooking sheet lined with foil....in an hour or so it will be hard though still warm ....break it apart and store in burp container.

you can use it as is or add some to a sauce pan dilute with about 1/2 cup water heat till liquid and add to boil.

GD:mug:
sure beats the high price the vendors ask for it!;)

Most table sugar is likely beet sugar. C&H is cane sugar.

Does it really matter which one? I prefer cane sugar. After you live near a sugar beet factory for a few years, you really begin to hate the smell. :(

Going to make a pound today with cane sugar for a Dubbel.

u can use regular sugar, but you have to invert it with an acid i belive. during the boil you add a bit of cream of tartar. the acid inverts the sugar.

Back