Gas Plumbing for Single Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillWyn

Reaction score
The welding on my first single-tier stand is almost complete and it's time to start thinking about plumbing for the propane. I'm looking for information on, and/or pictures of, how to get from the propane tank to the burners. I've got three Banjo burners and a 20psi regulator. A length of black pipe with a few T's is easy enough for me to understand. It's the fittings that I'm a little unsure of.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I went to home depot to find the fittings for my build. To connect the propane tank to my black pipe, I used a 1/2" male pipe thread to 3/8" flare fitting. The MPT screws into a coupler on the black pipe, and the flare fitting gets the propane hose screwed on to it.
Then, for the ball valves, I went to the water heater isle at home depot and they had a gas ball valve that had a 1/2" female pipe thread end to a 3/8" flare fitting on the other end, which gets hooked up to another propane hose which goes to my burner.
GetAttachment4.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachmen77t.jpg

From a hose supply store. I looked up hose supply or something similar in the yellow pages and gave them a call. I told them the length I wanted and they had it ready in about 30 mins

SORRY TO HIJACK I'm at this point too, single tier two burners but my biggest question is 1/2" pipe big enough for two hurricane burners and a little control I want to buy fittings as a bunch of other stuff will be coming in soon?

SORRY TO HIJACK I'm at this point too, single tier two burners but my biggest question is 1/2" pipe big enough for two hurricane burners and a little control I want to buy fittings as a bunch of other stuff will be coming in soon?

I just did my first brew using my new brew stand which has a 1/2 black pipe manifold and had both burners going carrying on two boils. It worked great! I think the issue is you need a high pressure regulator (mine is 20 psi). One thing that put my mind to ease while I was considering this is the realization that the regulator hose feeding the whole set up only has an inner diameter of 1/4", and the company where I bought mine has multi burner set-ups using the same hose, just high pressure regulators... There is also a 30 psi regulator listed, it's in my post above...

lehr, I love the gas beam! I wish I had been aware of that option or thought of it when I put mine together... It looks very elegant. It would really test my welding skills, but definitely worth a try and something I will remember for next time.

What welders are you guys using?

I bought a 120v 90amp (clarke85) stick welder off of ebay for $30 ($70 with shipping). I practiced on a 20 foot length of tubing and when I felt comfortable and after putting together a little welding table, I started welding the stand. I know my welds would look nicer with a wirefeed or mig, but I can't justify the expense right now. Anyway, it takes a little practice to get comfortable, but it melts metal (I've welded up to 1/8"). I've heard and read that a wirefeed is really easy to use right out of the box...

Where did you find the pipe hangers dude?

I got them at Lowe's... I also got two 1 1/4 bolts (whatever's shortest). They were zinc, so I ground the coating off the heads before welding them outside... The fittings then screw right on. I was surprised to find such beefy hangers at lowe's after not seeing anything similar at mcmaster/carr.

I looked at Home Depot and then called every specialty plumbing and fastener place in town, no one had them.

I called Lowes today and they have three left. Thanks Dude.

Back