Bottle my bear 2 days ago.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

momodig

Reaction score
I had my brew in primary for 2 weeks... then racked to secondary for 3 weeks... and bottled two days ago....

It appears there is a white milky substance at the bottom of all my bottles. If I shake the bottle it disapates back into the beer.

What is this white substance? is it bad? it doesn't appear to be mold.

It's sediment. It means your beer is carbonating. It's a good thing. In a couple weeks, you can pop open your brew and enjoy!

ahh neat... i'm tempted to open just on up now... I've never tasted home brew before... that way I can see how the beer ages and tastes better as it stays in the bottles longer... should that be ok?

anyone who says they have never opened a beer after a couple days to see how it tastes is lying;)

It is just fine and something everyone does, especially with their first beer. It won't be carbonated and wont be nearly as good as several months from now but it wont hurt anything, go for it

anyone who says they have never opened a beer after a couple days to see how it tastes is lying;)

It is just fine and something everyone does, especially with their first beer.

I never did...I knew from reading to wait....

The problem with sneaking beers when you know they will be undercarbed and prolly still green, is that when the beer IS ready and you are enjoying it at it's peak, all those that you could be enjoying now you pissed down the toilet 3 weeks ago....

There is a saying, that the best bottle of beer is ALWAYS the last one in the batch....

Wow Revvy -- take it easy... I simply only taking one beer... I have over 48 bottles of beer and brewing another batch already... this is a first experience for me... i simply want to taste the beer mature and differance from a few days to a week, and so on.. wow

Wow Revvy -- take it easy... I simply only taking one beer... I have over 48 bottles of beer and brewing another batch already... this is a first experience for me... i simply want to taste the beer mature and differance from a few days to a week, and so on.. wow

????????????????????

I didn't say anything for you to get all defensive about....

In fact I wasn't even talking to you, I was responding to iamopie2's post....He can't claim it's something everybody does, or that those who say they don't are lying....honestly, a lot of people on here, who are new to brewing and have read stuff, do wait it out...they've read enough threads where many of us suggest that there's no point in wasting a beer after a few days in the bottle...

Like I said, it wasn't dierected you to...

But the question you want to ask yourself is, do you want your beer to taste "great" or just drink it 'cause you are excited???

After two days in the bottle your beer is going to taste like crap, it is going to be mostly yeast, and flat...and if you hadn't posted this thread ahead, you more than likely would have posted a panic "is my beer ruined thread" like several people do a day....

You may think "oh well I have 48 bottles of beer" but when in about 3 weeks your beer peaks, most of us here know from experince, and what people have posted on here that you will regret it.

If you want to know about the carbonating an conditioning process, then maybe you would care to read the blog I wrote on it, which comes from the fact that I have answered literally hundreds of 'my beer taste like crap or is under carbed." threads, where 99.5% of the posters tasted their beers before 3 weeks, and panicked.

Revvy's Blog, Of patience and bottle conditioning.

I suggest in there that if you really want to get a handle on how a beer progresses, drink one at 7, 14 and 21 days....but if you drink it at 2 it will be a waste.

:mug:

"But the question you want to ask yourself is, do you want your beer to taste "great" or just drink it 'cause you are excited???"

"After two days in the bottle your beer is going to taste like crap, it is going to be mostly yeast, and flat...and if you hadn't posted this thread ahead, you more than likely would have posted a panic "is my beer ruined thread" like several people do a day.." Other people could take this as an insult...we are all new at one time or other... bold statement indeed.

I realize this... I stated I'm drinking just ONE. And my original post was about the sugar sedament in the bottom. I feel it more of a learning process this way -- taste a bottle now and then compare later with the finish product. LOL why would drinking one bottle of beer be a waist? I didn't brew this beer to pound them back... I go drink bud or another generic beer if I want to pound and get a buzz. I never did panic and a believe I stated in my first few posts "I realize beer matures" what's the dealio? I just want to open one bottle... it's not like i'm taking one of yours... I won't be posting here anymore.

If you never opened a bottle early then how do you know what it tastes like ? That is why I want to try and experience it my self.

Sounds like old fishing people who don't share fish lol.

I have 48+ bottles of beer, I drink one here and there... I may only have 41 bottles left, but who cares really *not the end of the world* Freedom lets me brew as I please.

Listen, I don't really care what you do, and you don't have to rationalize it with me, or defend yourself....I didn't post my info about waiting to be mean to you, this isn't some "be mean to the new brewer" thing....I'm trying to help.....

You're not the first poster I have told to wait, nor will you be the last, and I can't predict what you decide to do, probably half of the new brewers listen.

I can only provide my experience and my knowledge of brewing, and of the mindset of the new brewer, and new poster on here.

My ego isn't tied into whether or not you take my advice...The only thing I care about is that you and every brewer makes the best damn beer they can and get's to ENJOY the fruits of their labor..

You may not get it now...but I predict around the third batch it will "click for you"," you'll understand what I said...and you may even, like some of the most harassed new brewers who reacted JUST like you when I suggest you not waste a beer, start a thread saying "Revvy was right!"

FWIW .... I wouldn't swirl the sediment around too much, you want the yeast to drop out of suspension, It'll help with the flavor when it does come time to taste ...

If you never opened a bottle early then how do you know what it tastes like ? That is why I want to try and experience it my self.

Sounds like old fishing people who don't share fish lol.

I have 48+ bottles of beer, I drink one here and there... I may only have 41 bottles left, but who cares really *not the end of the world* Freedom lets me brew as I please.

I am not holding a gun to your head, pal....like I said I am just trying to help....

At two days your beer won't taste any different then it did on bottling day.....most beers take a minimum of 3 weeks at 70 degrees to carb and condition, but I have had beers take 3 months before they carbed up and another 6 months before they were drinkable...

Like I said, go read the blog I linked to, watch the video even.....you'll get the picture...or you won't, it's no skin off my teeth.

Good luck with everything!!!

Revvy, I did my reading and I KNOW your right already -- I'm not arguing that you are wrong... I'm going to state this once more... I want to taste the change in my beer. I KNOW ALREADY... longer the beer is in the bottle the better the taste!

I didn't taste my beer on bottling day.

I tried my first beer from my first batch a little early. Two weeks and I put one in the fridge. The problem is that after tasting it I was all worried that the beer was crap. It wasn't awful, but it was thin... too sweet... just not that enjoyable. So I had another 2 weeks of anxiety, wondering if I was going to have to try to give this stuff away or if I was going to bite the bullet and drink it all myself. After 2 weeks it was a little better, but not great. But two weeks after THAT... it was amazing.

It's natural to want to try it sooner, and if you just can't resist it then go ahead and try one, but keep in mind that you're not tasting what you're beer will eventually taste like. It can cause you more anguish than relief if it's green and you end up worrying about it.

In the end, it's your beer. You can pop them all and bathe in them if you want. :D

"you'll get the picture...or you won't, it's no skin off my teeth."

It's not a matter of getting it*chuckles* I UNDERSTAND -- I just want to try one beer... I've been insulted enough.

I tried my first beer from my first batch a little early. Two weeks and I put one in the fridge. The problem is that after tasting it I was all worried that the beer was crap. It wasn't awful, but it was thin... too sweet... just not that enjoyable. So I had another 2 weeks of anxiety, wondering if I was going to have to try to give this stuff away or if I was going to bite the bullet and drink it all myself. After 2 weeks it was a little better, but not great. But two weeks after THAT... it was amazing.

It's natural to want to try it sooner, and if you just can't resist it then go ahead and try one, but keep in mind that you're not tasting what you're beer will eventually taste like. It can cause you more anguish than relief if it's green and you end up worrying about it.

In the end, it's your beer. You can pop them all and bathe in them if you want. :D

Doesn't this guy remind you of Joemama? :D

I wonder if he'll wander in and tell this guy HIS story....

"Bottle my bear 2 days ago."

That's a good-sized bottle.....but didn't the bear object?

Dude, if you think I have insulted you by trying to help...maybe the internet is not the place for you.....Telling you that I or (you might have noticed a few others joining in agreeing with me) think tasting a 2 day old beer is a waste, and you won't learn anything and will only waste a beer that you will get to really regret not having in 3 weeks, is hardly an insult...

Anyway, I'm outta here, I have people who really want help to go and help.

See you in three batches....or not if you are still as stubborn as you are now. :D

Know you guys are just picking... GOODBYE!

It doesn't hurt anything to try a bottle of beer after 2 days, if that's what you want to do. Obviously you already know that's too early, but nothing wrong with a taste test (I've done it myself occasionally) . If it taste like crap (I wouldn't know) after 2 days, it'll still taste like crap after 2 months.

Some folks take these things much too seriously...

So they want to try a bottle before it carbonates and see how it progresses, get off their back. There's nothing wrong with that.

Man, nobody insulted you. A few people offered advice and left you to do what you want. That's what this place is here for. If all you wanted was people to post "Cool. do it." then why bother?

Doesn't this guy remind you of Joemama? :D

I wonder if he'll wander in and tell this guy HIS story....

I believe Revvy seems sensitive to this because of the amount of beer pedophillia that he has had to witness in the past. I still remember my very first batch, I believe more than half of it was drank while it was green because I was so excited about it, and because it actually tasted better as a green beer than most BMCs. :p By the time it was READY to drink, I was more than sad because I wasnt able to exhibit enough self control to keep my hands off of it. (And OH BOY was that LAST one heaven!)

Sure there is 'nothing wrong' with cracking one prematurely, but worse than it tasting terrible and disappointing, you will have an indication of what it 'could' taste like and you will find yourself making excuses to 'try it' to see if something changed. And before you know it, you will be hitting up your friends who had the patience to actually listen to your advise you gave them (to not crack them until they are ready) to let you share those beers with them. (The ones you GAVE them)

I dont fear a beer that might possibly have off flavors, or be infected yaddy yadda... Ive (painfully) learned to have a little more patience and not rush them. The only good thing that has come of drinking a beer early was I think I managed to detect an issue/infection early on and made sure to drink that one much more quickly :p

Young beers just arent worth it man... Unless its a Heffe.
-Me

Revvy, I did my reading and I KNOW your right already -- I'm not arguing that you are wrong... I'm going to state this once more... I want to taste the change in my beer. I KNOW ALREADY... longer the beer is in the bottle the better the taste!

I didn't taste my beer on bottling day.

Cool,
Drink away,

I remember my first batch, I drank one 3, 7, 10, 14, and a whole bunch at 21 days.

No one here is trying to be an *******, but after several hundreds of gallons, many Members have gained, practiced and developed pretty solid methods that they have gone out of their way to share with us younger brewers.

After all of this banter, I feel that the point that you should take away from this is to take some of your beer and set it aside for at least 3 months, You will be amazed at how well it matures.

Right now I am drinking a bottle of my very first batch:tank:
20 months old, other than being over-carbed it is damn good.

-Jason

And before you know it, you will be hitting up your friends who had the patience to actually listen to your advise you gave them (to not crack them until they are ready) to let you share those beers with them. (The ones you GAVE them)

Yeah if I recall correctly you were like one of those junkies scratching at the door of the neighborhood crack house begging for a fix. :D

Or was it more like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4Ntcq5uNg]YouTube - My precious![/ame]

:D

Correction, not everyone has tried a bottle before its time. But i bet more than not have tried their wort. I know i have

Bull crap!!!!!

I never did...I knew from reading to wait....

You can read? I thought you just typed. ;)

Just thought I'd fan the flames a little, heh.

Seriously, I've not seen anything wrong with any of Revvy's postings, most are full of usefull information.:mug:

momodig, for what its worth I had one of my 10 day old bottled brews yesterday and it was carbonated but still green. Three days before that I had one and it was flat and tastless... and yet, NO REGRETS! I've got 50 of these bitches plus more on the way. After getting into this hobby I want the EXPERIENCE. I may be a perfectionist but my beer is far from perfect, why would I hoard all of my amature brew?

Next batch whenever you take the gravity, drink it. Thats a good way to tell whats happening with your beer day to day, and seeing as its not getting dumped back into the primary it can't really be considered waste.

The problem with bottling a bear is this....

Bears have excessive amounts of body fat which does not lend well to carbonation or head retention. There have been no sucessful bottle carbonations of bears due to this. Therefore it doesn't matter if you drink it at two days, ten days, or three weeks, the only thing likely to come out of it is another thread entitiled "I waited 3 weeks, why won't my bear carbonate?"

As your equipment and knowledge improves you might try kegging and force carbing the bear. However, it has been noted that bears tend to get a bit agitated when forced into small spaces under pressure. Maybe a keg being larger than a bottle would be OK.

Good Luck with your bear carbonation. Let us know if you get it to work.

For the rest of you who went a bit overboard on this thread, like Revvy. If you had just read the post you would have saw that he was trying to carbonate a bear, and then you could have offered some sage wisdom like I did.

The problem with bottling a bear is this....

The real problem with bottling a bear (beside getting him into the bottle) is what happens when you let him OUT of the bottle.

A bit testy, methinks.

You know, the more I read the thread topic line the more I begin to think it's a request by the OP. Bottle my bear 2 days ago. As in, "Hey, you, bottle my bear 2 days ago!" Now, I can see why the OP would want someone else to deal with the bear, but being only vaguely familiar with the particulars of time travel, I'm hoping someone else might be able to help this guy out. Honestly, I wouldn't do it if I could, I'd be too afraid of that bear!!

I mean, how big of a bear are we talking about here?!?!

You know, the more I read the thread topic line the more I begin to think it's a request by the OP. Bottle my bear 2 days ago. As in, "Hey, you, bottle my bear 2 days ago!" Now, I can see why the OP would want someone else to deal with the bear, but being only vaguely familiar with the particulars of time travel, I'm hoping someone else might be able to help this guy out. Honestly, I wouldn't do it if I could, I'd be too afraid of that bear!!

I mean, how big of a bear are we talking about here?!?!

no no no... you got it ALL wrong. See, he was addressing the post to his bear, but he left out he commas. It was "Bottle, my bear, 2 days ago". So he want's the BEAR to travel back in time and bottle 2 days ago.

Or maybe it was his bear that was trying to sample to early????

Maybe the bear is busy getting ready for hibernation and didn't want to wait the 3 weeks for the beer to be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back