Light Beer Friend help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravity man

Reaction score
I have a friend. ( just one ) that likes light beer, I know whats the use. anyway he wants to start brewing bucket beer. Does anyone know of an extract kit that is easy to brew, dont need much flavor as long as it tast like tecate or kestone light. I have tryed to turn him on to a Bock and a Ocktoberfest but he thinks its like drinking motor oil.

I would guess you don't have the ability to lager the beer so my best recommendation would be an american wheat beer or a cream ale. You should be able to find those in kit form from most of the HBS. Both are pretty cheap on the ingredients and if he don't like them you will. :)

Tecate and light beers are really priced cheap and you would not be able to make either for the cost of ingredients.

Thats what I told him but he still wants to try it . I can lager but he cant.

American wheats are pretty bland and if you hop it right and carbonate it high then he might just go for that. I am not a big fan but it's OK on a hot day.

Honey Bee ale at Midwestsupplies is close to fizzy yellow piss water (BMC) but it tastes good. It also has a color (or lack thereof) as to not scare off anyone.

Seriously, it's good stuff and the less adventuresome drinkers really like it. If you do the late extract method, you can get it the same color as a bottle of bud. Midwest uses a color scale and hop leaf scale in their catalog. The Honey Bee rates the lightest color and one hop leaf.

Keystone is some sh*tty sh*t.

I would tell him to make one of those pale ales in a can. They are really easy and lack much of a hop characteristic.

Kestone, boy you MUST like it better then I do Because its worse then sh*ty.

oh yeah - tell him to buy a filter too.

actually - I bet you could get pretty close if you filtered it.

you can do well with an ale. Brew something in the 1.032-40 range use rice syrup as a good portion of your fermentables and use something like cascade to about 10ibus.

I actually brewed this as an attempt at a lighter beer for some friends because they requested it. I haven't tasted it yet since it's still young and a little cloudy so... Also it's AG, but you get the idea.

Light Ale
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.7%
IBU: 10
Loviblond: 3
7.00 lb American two-row
4.00 lb Flaked Corn
0.5 oz Simcoe @ 12% 25 minutes
Yeast: Nottingham

Back