What is my ABV with these readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
Well, as you may have read I broke my hydrometer before I could take my FG before racking to secondary. However before I broke it I did take an OG reading and came up with an OG reading of 1.046. Well, I just got home from Dallas and found my two extract kits, 6.5 glass carboy and my NEW hydrometer sitting in my kitchen (thanks baby). Anyway, I just took my second reading with the new hydrometer and it read at 1.009. What would an OG of 1046 and FG of 1.009 make my alcohol content?

Sorry, new to this and HORRIBLE at math.

Not too bad for my first brew, and it tastes outstanding!!!!!!! I tried it last weekend and it was good, but tonight (or this morning) it was awesome. I was wanting to go get another "sample" :drunk: . But, figured I had better just let it sit for another week and then bottle it and let it get even better.

Tomorrow I am brewing a lemon-corriander wheat and a chocolate raspberry stout. They should be pretty good, at least I hope they will.

thanks, I'll need it no doubt. But the SWMBO demands a lemon or orange flavored wheat beer and how can I fail with an extract kit coming from the same place that I got the one that came out at 4.8. I got the chocolate raspberry stout from AHB and the directions seem pretty simple. I LOVE stout beers and thought I would enjoy this one while she could enjoy the other one. Of course, I have yet to meet a beer I didn't or couldn't like with time :drunk:

MediaMikes said:
thanks, I'll need it no doubt. But the SWMBO demands a lemon or orange flavored wheat beer and how can I fail with an extract kit coming from the same place that I got the one that came out at 4.8. I got the chocolate raspberry stout from AHB and the directions seem pretty simple. I LOVE stout beers and thought I would enjoy this one while she could enjoy the other one. Of course, I have yet to meet a beer I didn't or couldn't like with time :drunk:

If she wants an orange flavoured wheat beer, make a Belgian Witbier. Spiced with coriander and orange zest.

thanks for the tip, but for now she is going to have to live with this one. She did want and orange flavor, but I am an extreme novice and need to stick to the tried and true recipes for now. Later on I will definetly make something like that for her.

Back