Batch Sparging in a Nutshell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I''ve been fly sparging for a couple of years and want to try batch sparging. My grain bill is as follows: 7lbs 2 row, 2lbs Wheat malt, .75lbs Munich malt, .25 lbs Crystal 10. To batch sparge I was going to add an extrra 1/2 lb 2row. Mash with 15 qts water at 152F, drain into boiler, add 19 qts water at 170Fto the grain,stir and let sit for 10 minutes. drain and add to the boiler. Is this a correct procedure for batch sparging?

Assuming you are adding that 1/2# in for your assumed efficiency loss, that is more or less correct.

You're probably adding a bit much in the amount of water, depending on your boil off rate/length of boil, etc.

Don't forget to recirculate your runnings before sending them to the boil kettle....that'll help clarify your beer and keep husks out of the boil.

I think you've got it. There are various technique modifications that you can try, i.e., mashing out before draining your first runnings, splitting the sparge into multiple batches, etc.

Here's a good thread to read through. Don't get bogged down in it, though. I just wanted to point out that there is no absolute standard process when it comes to batch sparging.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=38211

Yea, that's pretty much it. I've found if I split my batch sparge water in half and do two sparges I get better efficiency. Don't forget to vorlauf! But I'm pretty sure fly spargers do that as well.

Back