Text to explain pouring on the label?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
What do you guys put on your labels to explain not to shake or pour out the yeast? I can't seem to come up with a short way to word it.

I don't! Because I'm a pretty solo project here.
But If I did, I would say:
"This Brew is Bottle Conditioned. A layer of yeast will be present at the bottom of the bottle, so pour gently so as not to disturb it! If You shake it and it sucks, you've ruined something that I've put a **** load of time, effort and money into. So if you don't like it, stick it up your fat a...."

Well, maybe all but the last 2 sentences.

"Store upright. Pour slowly. Leave the sediment in the bottle." That is how I would word it. I just tell people and they can do whatever they want with the info. I will have these instructions on a placard at my brothers wedding since I don't feel like tracking down 4 kegs and all the accessories.

Some commertial beers have images on their labels - Unibroue, for example (you can kindof make it out on these pictures):
unibroue_eau-benite.jpg

unibroue_maudite.jpg

Bryan

EDIT: as for what I put - nothing. If they cannot figure it out themselves, they shouldn't be drinking my beer!

Thanks guys, I think I'll opt for something longer to introduce the process to people, then start cutting it down over time. Maybe shift to pictograms in the end.

I saw somebody that put a QR code on the back on the bottle/label that took them to a simple page that was hosted explaining everything. You could put "Scan me before pouring" or something similar over the QR code.

Just sharing what I've seen out there.

I had gotten this from another member on homebrew talk, because I like you needed some words to explain it. So I now have this on my bottles stating "This is a living ale meaning that it contains live yeast. When pouring into a glass leave the last 1/4" behind in the bottle."

I had gotten this from another member on homebrew talk, because I like you needed some words to explain it. So I now have this on my bottles stating "This is a living ale meaning that it contains live yeast. When pouring into a glass leave the last 1/4" behind in the bottle."
...'cause they'll be thirsty.

Here is what I ended up going with: PLEASE PLACE UPRIGHT IN THE FRIDGE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE CONSUMING. WHEN POURING LEAVE 1/2” OF BEER IN THE BOTTLE. DO NOT SWIRL. DO NOT DRINK STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE.

Back